Bringing in race car built in Mexico, into US.

Baja Fool

RDC Crypto
Any one have any info/experience in bringing a mexican built race car (ohv) into the U.S.?
E.g.: issues at the border, registration (Mex. or US), taxes, etc.

Thanks

Advertising supports this site

papajon14

RDC Crypto
shouldnt have any problem.. did it for months working for trophylite... getting stuff in mex is wayy harder.!

-jon

SPROCKET

RDC Crypto
you will have no problem leaving mexico, but you will need some type of paperwork to return.

papajon14

RDC Crypto
no it was when i worked for the scaronis. before greg bought TL. all the BP cared about was if you were legal citizen to cross. we have crossed our class 6 plenty of times in mexicali. it shoulding be a problem crossing now. is Jorman building your guys class 6?

-jon

Advertising supports this site

BajaTrux

RDC Crypto
It depends on the BP agent. I live in TJ and cross the border everyday and it varies. Some will ask you for paperwork and others won't. When I cross my quad in the back of my truck I get asked for paperwork and sometimes they just want to know if I have anything to declare from Mexico and no paperwork is needed. If you don't have paperwork for the truck they might take you into secondary to inspect the truck, that's what I went through when I crossed a Bronco I bought in TJ and registered in SD but wasn't in my name. Good luck!!

KC Amigo

RDC Crypto
Have some kind of paperwork. If there is Mexican paperwork you should have the "contrato de compraventa" sales contract. If not you can get a standard form at a papeleria in Mexico. Our shop is in TJ and we cross cars all the time. If it is on a trailer and you cross in Otay they will definately send you into secondary inspectrion as this is the only way you can get through the obstacle course. Once in secondary they almost always check the paperwork. They are usually pretty cool, they just want to make sure that the car isn't stolen. If you have some paperwork to show you shouldn't have any problem but as previosly said it is really up to the agent.

BajaTrux

RDC Crypto
When I cross my quad fom TJ to SD they just ask for the registration, the same from SD to TJ.

When I crossed the Bronco I bought in TJ to register in SD they sent me to secondary to inspect the vehicle and asked for the Pink Slip or registration and the Bill of Sale. I also bought my GF's car in TJ and the agent in the booth asked for the Pink Slip and gave me a hard time because I only had the bill of sale. He checked the VIN# to make sure the car wasn't stolen before letting me cross into the states and advised that next time I have the Pink Slip in hand.

The majority of instances a DMV Bill of Sale (the Yellow ones NOT the ones you can print from the internet from their website) with your info and the sellers (could be the shop your truck was in) is enough. If you are going to cross the border from San Ysidro, make sure you cross in the last 2 lanes on your left hand side (where the curios and big screens are next to Mex Customs/Aduana) because those are the widest lanes where a trailer can go by and after you cross the booth the exit lanes are wide. If you take other lanes it is harder to manuever a trailer through.

If you cross through Otay it will take longer, the agents are hardasses and take forever to inspect your ride and document your entrance/exit.

Hope this helps and good luck!!