• Forum membership has its advantages....

Brining a VW engine into Mexico

dirtslinger

Well this weekend the family and headed down to San Felipe, and then up to Ensenada to pick up our 1600 motor from our new Engine builder. We decided to take my wife's Baja motor down there to have go thru it since it was about 16 years old and sounded like it started to develop a rod knock.

Anyway, we go stopped at the border and were told we needed to pay an import tax, they sent us to the newer crossing where the customs office was. We had to hire a broker, and spent 4 hours in customs just to get a green paper, that no one ever asked to see, that cost $90.

Just giving anyone that might be brining anything across, either take it apart first and put in boxes, hide it better, or be prepared to spend 4 hours in customs.

We did not have this problem when we brought the other motor down, this sounds like something new according to the people at the border.

BTW: If your looking for a VW engine builder, Wero Loco was incredible to work with, honest, on time, and top quality work and very affordable. You can find him on Facebook.

Baja Bryan

It can be kind of hit and mis with the Adwanas guys.. Parts you would be ok. Best to always look old and dirty. I had the same problem with a large old S/S sink. They said it was commercial and needed a broker. So I went tot he next border any they said nothing. Another good VW and trans guy in Ensenada is Munoz Transmissions.

J.COLEMAN

I just send my VW to Wiks Racing. No import cost or border crossing when you pick it up :)

M.Tornel Jr

Well this weekend the family and headed down to San Felipe, and then up to Ensenada to pick up our 1600 motor from our new Engine builder. We decided to take my wife's Baja motor down there to have go thru it since it was about 16 years old and sounded like it started to develop a rod knock.

Anyway, we go stopped at the border and were told we needed to pay an import tax, they sent us to the newer crossing where the customs office was. We had to hire a broker, and spent 4 hours in customs just to get a green paper, that no one ever asked to see, that cost $90.

Just giving anyone that might be brining anything across, either take it apart first and put in boxes, hide it better, or be prepared to spend 4 hours in customs.

We did not have this problem when we brought the other motor down, this sounds like something new according to the people at the border.

BTW: If your looking for a VW engine builder, Wero Loco was incredible to work with, honest, on time, and top quality work and very affordable. You can find him on Facebook.
Thanks boss, same happened to me a few months ago they are getting ridiculous, heads up to everyone I already had thr rocument showing that I had imported it preciously and they still wanted to charge me for crossing it. Also san ysidro border is way faster at processing than otay

dirtslinger

I really didn't mind the money, it was the 4 hour wait, and that was Calexico. I'll be breaking down the next one

Wendell #527

We almost couldn't get back IN to the U.S. because of dirt on my race car. Note to all: If you have ANY mud on your race car or trailer, take it to a car wash or a hotel parking lot and clean it off before you get in line to come back. They were about to send us back to the end of the line and that was after waiting 3 hours to get to the front of that line. We barely got by because we told them the car was going straight into the shop, that we wouldn't spread any dirt onto US soil. They are freaked out about that right now.

y2kbaja

When we went down for the N1K we had a spare motor sorta hidden, and we stopped at the customs to declare, they waved us right on thru. A few years ago my buddy brought down an engine case to have a nice "camp fire" on the beach, they made him pay a tax on it. It was not well hidden.

harleys dad

December we mistakenly had the wrong plates on my class 11 and got turned around at tecate and had to go to AAA club to straighten out we had all kinds of parts and tires trans engine hid 25 gallons of race gas in a fuel cell we rigged to look like a spare truck tank hid 10 gallons under all our bags and sleeping bags inside the vw they looked asked why so much stuff told them spares for the race and away we went. As much as a hassle it was its good they are looking at vin numbers but never even question the engine and trans in plain view but did ask about the spare tires. Some one with bikes were catching hell for extra gas right next to us and they sent them back because of it!

Rhythm

I recently brought in a used engine thru Mexicali and was charged a couple hundred dollars in tax. Seems that motors are taxed more heavily than other parts, and the tax is based on predetermined rates as opposed to declared value.

Aduana at the Cabo airport seem to be tightening things up as well. Last time I came in with a bunch of used parts and no receipts. They let me bring the parts in after I declared the (lowball) value and paid the tax. I was told that in the future that no used parts could be brought in at all, and all new parts brought in must have receipts. New tires can be brought in, a maximum of 2 tires per trip. Taxes on most parts are about 14% of declared value.