Broke off shock eyelet

sirhk100

Reaction
I broke off the eyelet on one of my 7100 last night. It was the one that's welded on the can, not the one that threads on the shaft. Can I just take it somewhere and have it welded back on or can Bilstein just weld it back on?

I guess now this gives me a real excuse to pull the rear end apart and cycle it to mount them properly!!!

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I did the samething when I had 7100's on my truck. It was because I wasn't running limit straps with them. I sent it back to Bilstein and I think they charged me like $60 for it. Anyone that can weld could probably do it for you though.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Need a tig welder or a spool gun....I beleve

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Ask anyone from ACE motorsports Explorer team what they think about those bilsteins...it's one of their sponsors too!

Kris

JasonHutter

Reaction
I have done the samething in the past. Remember Bilstien's are lifetime warrentied. I tried out the warrenty, and they did warrenty the shock. I suppose if they can prove that it broke because of over abusing or something hitting it, they won't do it. Mine was obviously hit my something to break it and they still warrentied it. This was a few years ago though.

Jason

sirhk100

Reaction
You know what I still can't figure out, maybe the thread will change and go another direction but whatever it's more info that I'm kinda looking for.

When I mounted them I was in a hurry. Didn't cycle the rearend. (I will now though). I did mount them with the rear on blocks and leafs were at full droop. At full droop I positioned them so that they had about 3" more they could droop out thinking that with the weight and force of instantly leaving the ground the leafs would droop further and when articulating the axle like rock crawling when one tire is stuff the other can actually be forced out further. I mounted it up and went out on a rock I have in the yard wher I can stuff the rear passenger side and lift the rear driver off the ground. I did this to check the bottoming. The seemed fine. For a quick job it seemed okay. I rushed it cause hey, I had two shocks sitting there and was going to the desert that night. Anyways, I've got half a season on them and the upper upper cross tube that I bolted in to hang the shocks off got bent down as if the shocks were hitting full droop (I think that's the only possibity). Then 2 nights ago one shock ripped off and the tube cracked.

So after that long story. How much more can I expect the rear leafs to droop out when I dissasmble them to cycle it then right now when they are fully built?

Khris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Have somebody stand on each drum, then measure.

Kris

1992f150

Reaction
if you mount them with 3" stroke left over, that means your shocks will bottom out 3" sooner on compression. It would probably be easier to mount them based on where full bump is, then run a limit strap to keep the shocks from topping out

Azusa: shame of the foothills

sirhk100

Reaction
Right now cause of the angle I had them in they bottomed out in the bump before the shock. I plan on cycling it and yeah, that's what I planned on doing. I was going to put it in full compression and mount the shocks while compressed with about 1/2" or so left to compress.

How do people usually mount limit straps to the rear diff? Go to the shock bolt and a tab off the frame or something? Finding something on the frame shouldn't be a problem but what about at the diff?

Khris

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Weld a tab onto the diff for it.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

RacerX

Reaction
KRITTER
Do you ever think before you type.
Its real inappropriate to express other teams opinions on products.
No one like a no it all, especially when you know everything about nothing!!!!

cleartoy

Reaction
Chris, measure your bumpstop clearance. if its like 10" then get a 12" travel shock so you can push it down when making the mounts. You dont want the shock to top or bottom.+

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

sirhk100

Reaction
I wish it was that easy. At full droop on jack stands it's 14.5". I know it's capable of more then that too cause that's just free weight, not the amount it droops when you have the force of the axle and wheels dropping from leaving the ground or being forced out under flex.

Khris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"KRITTER
Do you ever think before you type.
Its real inappropriate to express other teams opinions on products.
No one like a no it all, especially when you know everything about nothing!!!!"

Actually it's a "know-it-all" so get it right before lipping off. I passed that comment straight from a team members mouth. Since you know so much, get ahold of them and ask them how many they went through at the Nevada 1000 this year.

Kris

1992f150

Reaction
I think the point he is trying to make, is not to pass on comments, even if they are accurate. The team probably wouldn't be too happy if they lost their sponsorship because bilstein found out they were bad mouthing their product. Also other companies would be less likely to want to sponsor them.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I understand and realize I should not have said it...although I did not say what was said but it is obvioulsy inferered. I was relating the story to Khris because he runs an Explorer and Bilsteins and made the comment to be humorous, but it failed. Bilsteins are excellent shocks.

Kris

DougM

Reaction
Contact Shane @ Bilstein, let him know what happened and they'll swap it out.
Heck Khris, you can swing by there since they are on Scripps Poway Pkwy.

sirhk100

Reaction
I'm just going to have them tig welded welded tomorrow at work. I think they can actually weld it all the way around instead of just two sides.

Khris