• Forum membership has its advantages....

Broken axel. Again

Dirtracer 619

35 spline flanged semifloat 9" ford on a 4600 # truck
Currie axels broke first one at 500 miles at splines
Replaced both. Roke at flange at 800 miles
Cant afford a floater so who makes a better axel

Dirtracer 619

Yea we go thru it every race. Im sure its just hard driving and ruff courses
I guess im trying to convince my self i dont need a 8-10 thousand dollar floater

y2kbaja

After inspecting, are they going back in the correct (Left / Right) side they came out of?

Dirtracer 619

Yes they are marked driver side pass side. Of course the axel manufacture say i need a floater.
I guess they thnk all of us can afford one. This is a very well built 9" semifloat with trussing on three sides the ends were cut off and set with a laser and rechecked when welding was complete, Axels slide in with no effort and spin freely.

johnnyweb

Currie built us a 40-spline semi-float 10'' a few years ago that never had an issue with 620hp driving it. we would bend flanges every few races, however never twisted splines or broke an axle.

Chris Tobin

Yes they are marked driver side pass side. Of course the axel manufacture say i need a floater.
I guess they thnk all of us can afford one. This is a very well built 9" semifloat with trussing on three sides the ends were cut off and set with a laser and rechecked when welding was complete, Axels slide in with no effort and spin freely.
Talk with the guys a Branik Motorsports www.branikmotorsports.com. A LOT of the rock crawler/Ultra 4 guys and high power diesel guys use their axles and they are very reasonably priced. Tell them that Chris Tobin recommended them. They will treat you right and give you a fair price. They have done great work for me and several others!!! Also, they can build ANYTHING!!!

Dirtracer 619

Ok so have been doing some reschearch What is everyones opinion a out unit bearings. Like what Currie and Camburg sell. For a conversion to a floating axel. Its less than half the cost. But there is no serviceable parts so when o bearing unit goes bad its $500 bucks. I dont race as much as i would like and thought this might be a good alternative. Anyone have experiance with these types of floaters?