Bronco prerunners

wrightracing.net

Same here Philofab, my has been on the trailer way to long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Josh 8

7DD3C05B-9E34-482D-A2F0-C26A26C999D0.jpeg

B7775859-070A-45D1-970A-B463F89D7B35.jpeg

Total home build, diy sleeper. Per ran 3 b1k’s with this one with out a chase crew. Got us home every time. Wish I could say that about my diy race truck. Lols.

The top pic is the El Camino Real on the way mission San Borja.

The creek is Frog Canyon a few weeks ago going north.

The old guy in the top pic (on the right for the punks) is my 84 year old uncle. This was his first trip to baja. I bounced him around chasing some bikes for 4 days and he loved it.

Last edited:

Tri406

I chased for a team in the B1k a few years ago in a friends almost stock Bronco. He bought the the Bronco a few weeks before the B1k for $2k, and put another $2k in parts to get it reliable. I was quite impressed at how well it worked for a stock Bronco

Question, what does it cost to get a Bronco into a reasonable condition for pre-running? I know this is a very open ended question. In other words what's the minimum to be reliable and off road worthy?

My aim is to enter the Norra at some point. I was thinking of doing the Norra on 2 wheels, but my body couldn't take the pounding anymore. So 4 wheels seems to be the future for me (and my joints)

Obviusly I'd pull the engine and transmission and rebuild for reliability.

What could be done to the suspension? My assumption being longer travel is required, and rebuidable shocks being required at a minimum.

TRichards

I chased for a team in the B1k a few years ago in a friends almost stock Bronco. He bought the the Bronco a few weeks before the B1k for $2k, and put another $2k in parts to get it reliable. I was quite impressed at how well it worked for a stock Bronco

Question, what does it cost to get a Bronco into a reasonable condition for pre-running? I know this is a very open ended question. In other words what's the minimum to be reliable and off road worthy?

My aim is to enter the Norra at some point. I was thinking of doing the Norra on 2 wheels, but my body couldn't take the pounding anymore. So 4 wheels seems to be the future for me (and my joints)

Obviusly I'd pull the engine and transmission and rebuild for reliability.

What could be done to the suspension? My assumption being longer travel is required, and rebuidable shocks being required at a minimum.

Yea, thats a little open ended but this is what i think you can do minimum. It will take some fabrication but not to crazy. See Autofab website as a guide. Front coils, 1- 2.5 shock on a shock hoop, skid plates, skid plate around fuel tank, rear leafs like a Deaver pack. 1- 2.5" shock per wheel in back. 35" tires, regear to 4.56. If you want to be safe, do a cage inside, 2 seats with 5 point harnesses. You should have at least a 5" GPs and a race radio and a personal sat phone for mexico trips. Make sure you pack spare tie rod ends, fan belts, hoses, driveshaft and U joints, some fluids and first aid kits and some camping supplies. im sure there are other things. i was just trying to think what would be the basic without all the fluff. Good Luck.

Tri406

Yea, thats a little open ended but this is what i think you can do minimum. It will take some fabrication but not to crazy. See Autofab website as a guide. Front coils, 1- 2.5 shock on a shock hoop, skid plates, skid plate around fuel tank, rear leafs like a Deaver pack. 1- 2.5" shock per wheel in back. 35" tires, regear to 4.56. If you want to be safe, do a cage inside, 2 seats with 5 point harnesses. You should have at least a 5" GPs and a race radio and a personal sat phone for mexico trips. Make sure you pack spare tie rod ends, fan belts, hoses, driveshaft and U joints, some fluids and first aid kits and some camping supplies. im sure there are other things. i was just trying to think what would be the basic without all the fluff. Good Luck.
thank you for the reply! I'm going to start to work up a budget. What makes this feasible is the availibilty of Broncos locally (So Cal) that seem to be in good condition.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper to get a Bronco that's already had the work done to it. In a month or two, I might have the $'s availible to do this.

jon coleman

shocks& radius arms is a good place to keep eyes on clasf.ads, auto- fab is a good place for proven bolt on stuff that works .i drove a stock one back from cabo,,,,, once , solo, i can still feel the drifting off decades later....

JDDurfey

I would also recommend Auto Fab. They know their stuff when it comes to Broncos and the TTB suspension. If you are building it instead of buying one already built, don't forget the engine mounts. Auto Fab sells those too.

But you are correct, buying one already build is cheaper in the long run, as long as it is built properly. I've seen a few in the classifieds that were built well and not outrageously priced.

landshark

Ken
Let's do SF in 2020, the Bronco is is running great these days.View attachment 202228
I forgot to bump into you after the NORRA, but after the impromptu fuel stop we followed you out of scorpion bay and noticed you were spilling what looked like fuel for quite a while, maybe it was water from your beer cooler? Regardless I am sure both are empty by now but just wanted to drop you a note

Chris_Wilson

Ken
Let's do SF in 2020, the Bronco is is running great these days.
I'd be up for that too, sure would be nice to have 3 or more in the class. I wonder if we could get any other Class 3 teams out for SF 2020?