bronco quick release

Ryan B

Reaction
hi everyone.

A few weeks ago i asked if anyone had put a quick release on their factory bronco steering column, and kept the factory keyed ignition, and turn signals/ hazard lights.

I'm sure I'm not the only guy with a bronco or F1 that was wanted to do this. So i figured I'd do a write up with pictures, and part numbers if anyone wants to do this too.

i started by pulling the steering column apart, and removing the factory upper steering shafts.

Next i made a piece that held a sealed bearing, and replaced the factory plastic lower steering shaft support bearing, and used the factory holes in the steering column to hold it in place with some 10-24 button head cap screws.

Then I made an upper mount that used the same size sealed bearing, and 10-24 cap screws to be the upper locator for the steering shaft, and to protect all the wiring/ turn signal assembly.

I am very please with how it turned out.

Here are all the part numbers, and websites to get these parts.

FLA-FR187016
Steering Shaft, Stainless Steel, Natural, Power Assist/ Manual, 16 in. Length, 3/ 4 in. 36-Spline, Each

FLA-FR1871-36
Steering Shaft, Steel, Natural, Power Assist/Manual, 36 in. Length, 3/4 in. 36-Spline, Each

FLA-FR2511
Steering Universal Joint, Stainless Steel, Natural, 3/4 in. 36-Spline, 3/4 in. 36-Spline, Each

grainger
pinch collars item# 1L681
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1L681

bearing kit
http://www.danscomp.com/456007.php?cat=PARTS#

Mackenzies for the steering quick release
www.mackenzies.com

Kartek for the steering wheel
www.kartek.com

bean dip

Reaction
Very sick for sure!!!! Great info and pics! Im doing this to my Bronco next. ;)

bean dip

Reaction
How do I give you Rep points?! This great info.

rharriman

Reaction
How do I give you Rep points?! This great info.
Select the little scale in the post in the lower left corner, add a comment if you like and make sure the approve box is checked or else the rep is neg. :D

You can try it out on this one if you like, LOL.

Last edited:

RooTs

Reaction
Great write up.. and yes we "bronco and f150" owners have wanted to do this for some time.

Question for you:

1. With the 16" splined shaft you have eliminated tilt steering, correct?

2. Thanks for the parts numbers, but for us that don't have the ability to machine the bearing couplers are you willing to make a set?

Ryan B

Reaction
Great write up.. and yes we "bronco and f150" owners have wanted to do this for some time.

Question for you:

1. With the 16" splined shaft you have eliminated tilt steering, correct?

2. Thanks for the parts numbers, but for us that don't have the ability to machine the bearing couplers are you willing to make a set?
1. i did eliminate the steering tilt. i always had it inline so it worked out.

2. your welcome for the part numbers. :)
sorry I don't think i want to tackle making the couplers again. we have a manual lathe, and i spent hours making those ones. I'll bet though a shop with all the correct tooling could turn one out pretty fast.