• Forum membership has its advantages....

Bronco's ???

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Bronco\'s ???

Ok, I know there are a lot of cool Bronco pre-runner's out there but I'm having a hard time finding any pictures of them on the net. I may be getting a 96' and would like to get some ideas. Any pics or links to pics would help. Thanks.

Shaun

rdc

Re: Bronco\'s ???

Thanks, that was quick!
I'm going out to look at one tomorrow so I wan't to look around and see how much money I can blow on this project.

Shaun

jeff

Below is a long rain induced rambling about Broncos...

I've ridden in quite a few prerunner Broncos over the years and figured I'd build one of my own. I'm tired of worrying about screwing someone elses stuff up, and dealing with it when I do. For my Bronco project I decided to go with wider beams with some big coilovers up front and a multi-link with coilovers in the rear. "Rancho" Dave Simpson has a pretty mild Bronco running a Rancho style lift kit with Lightning Rods all around - it rides pretty damn good considering how mild the suspension looks compared to todays highzoot coilover systems. I figure if his Bronco can handle that well mine should be a real beauty. Albeit Dave has had plenty of time to properly set his up, with standard style coilsprings up front and leaf springs in the rear on his I think a 4-wheel coilover system outta be pretty bitchin. I can live with the Bronco's high speed short wheelbase butt wiggle - it's not as bad as some make it out to be. If you don't like shortwheel base prerunners that's fine. If you don't like 4wd prerunners, don't ever ask me to pull you out when you get stuck.

I started my Bronco project late last year. I fished through the ads until I came across a 1983 Bronco for $1000 bucks. I looked at it on Monday, went back the next day, paid $800 cash for it and drove it home. The valve covers fell off (yes both, and yes the smoke scared the crap out of me) on the way home and the radio only got AM. For $800 bucks I had a complete and running Bronco. I got it insured, smogged it, registered it, and started ripping in the first week I had it. It's basically down to the skeleton now. The entire interior has been removed except for the air/heater duct and the steering column. I took at least 400lbs of crap out of that thing and dumped it all right in the trash. All of the stock wiring was removed and tossed, as was the old engine "brain" - no more computers in the sucker. One cool thing a previous owner had done was wire the rear tailgate window with generic orange extension cord... at least a 20' section of the stuff was wound around the frame to take up the slack. When I saw this I knew it would just be easier to re-wire everything myself. The deeper I tore into the damn thing the more I swore at it. The tailgate needs to be replaced (or fixed by someone with way more bodywork talent than I have) and the driverside door could use an ounce or two of bondo. The frame has no rust, the body is sound - and the fiberglass "shell" is in amazing shape considering how old it is. All in all I think I got a pretty good deal - everything I wanted I got, and I saved thousands over buying a newer model. And when it's time for me to register and insure it, it's crazy cheap.

Here's a tip - I went out to Ajax Auto Wrecking in Coachella, near Palm Springs - they've got tons of old and new Border Patrol Broncos out there. For those of you that don't already know about AJAX Auto Wreckers, I highly recommend you give AJAX a call if you need Ford truck or Bronco stuff. I grabbed a ton of stuff out there. For $300 bucks I was able to take home the following - all in great shape!

Chrome front grill - grill support - both headlights and trim - turn signals - all front trim pieces
All the brackets, pulleys, and a front cover to convert my 351w V-belt system over to a serpentine system.
A busted A/C compressor so I didn't have to build an idler pulley right away
An almost brand new flexfan and spacer kit - with new chrome hardware (guess some of the Border Patrol mechanics ditch the clutch fans in favor of a simple flex fan)
One almost new power steering pump - great for the baja repair box.

So far I've spent around $6000 and have 75% of the drivetrain and powerplant done. The 351w has around 420hp at the crank, the C6 has had all the race goodies, and my transfer case got a new lease on life. A built rearend and I'll be ready to start cutting, bending, welding, and bolting this beast back together. The wiring is almost done and so far I've spent around 100 hours on wiring alone - probably got another 20 to go. Completing the 83 to 96 upgrade is next - I still need some flared fenders and a hood - so if anyone out there has some they want to sell, LET ME KNOW SOON - no race glass please.

I've got a bunch of information on the Broncos if anyone needs help - just let me know. I've also got a couple questions of my own. Does anyone know if the Broncos have a weak spot in the frame? Keep in mind I've got the older 83 chassis and not one of the newer crumple style 90's versions. I plan on boxing most of the frame in and trust the cage will help with the rest of the flex. Has anyone got any experience or recommendations for new front axleshafts? I haven't seen too many broken Dana 44 IFS axleshafts... but I do plan on running a locker up front and would like to make it as reliable as possible. Last question, has anyone done any re-inforcing to the stock fiberglass hardtop? I thought about adding a few layers of glass to the underside to help stiffen it up and prevent it from cracking - anyone ever hear of this being done to Bronco or Blazer hard tops? I figure if I make it strong enough I can sleep and spectate ontop of it.

Ok - it's sunny now and I'm tired of typing. Look forward to any and all replies. If anyone out there reads this that has a project of their own in the works, post it somewhere. I'm always interested in what people are building.

Jeff

rdc

Now that is a project! A bit more than I am going to do. I bought a 96’ Bronco today and the thing look’s like it came off the show room floor. If nothing else it will get me out to the races in comfort. We’ll just have to wait and see how much of a project it becomes. I always say “ just some tires and a little suspension” but it never turns out that way.
And by the way, I bet you would be righting novels if you lived in Seattle where it rains all the time!

Shaun

scott

Right on man, I'm glad you didn't go Curt Leduc on me...........

rdc

He he he he
I new you would jump in here when you read that! What's up man, haven't seen you around here. So what do ya think, team "Faster than Bob" is back?

Shaun

scott

Hey Dude, If you wanted a Team Faster than Bob Class, You could of bought a 1968 Volkswagon bug
with all-terrains............... scott