• Forum membership has its advantages....

Bryce Menzies Joins Mini X-Raid Team

Off-Road racing is a global community. One way or another, there is some aspect of off-road racing on every continent being done in every type of vehicle imaginable. Last week, Mini announced its new rally raid off-road team lineup which now includes American off-road champion, Bryce Menzies. It’s a galvanizing step forward in showing the rest of the world America can produce top level drivers that are capable of competing on a global stage. Bryce joins the esteemed ranks of Malcolm Smith, Robby Gordon, and Mark Miller as the newest American to be backed up by a full factory effort. Even more exciting is the fact that he will be competing in more than just Dakar. He and his team of international off-road racing superstars will be campaigning in the entire FIA Cross Country Rally World Cup Series.

Bryce Menzies Joins Mini X-Raid Team - race-deZert.com

Goatpoker

Excited for the Dakar this year. We need more hype for Bryce. Seems like there is not much chatter going on for Dakar

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

nimrod

KOOK!
I'm so pumped to have a normal human reppin the USA at Dakar on 4 wheels. RG is awesome but sometimes his Schtick gets tiring. Don't forget Ricky Brabec in the Honda either. I'm so excited.

Bryce and Pete are the bombdiggity in my book!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Agree Nim...^^^
Dakar is very cool and having Americans race in it, only makes it better.
On a RG note, I think the Gordini is only a 'competitive turbo diesel' away from being competitive in the altitudes of the Andes. My 2 pesos

blue dog

Question please.

Is this for this years Dakar ?

9five9

this is awesome! I root for RG simply because he's American, but I really don't like him. Bryce is a class act and I can't wait to see him in that Mini.

That being said, he has his work cut out for him. But maybe the daily stages of Dakar will be better for his style than the extremely long single day that is the Baja 1000. Regardless, I'm optimistic!

Short Bus

Bryce had surgery on his shoulder and right knee in the beginning of October. It seems like that should be enough time to recover. However, he posted on Instagram on 11/23 that he had to have another procedure done on his knee. Hopefully it was minimally invasive and he will be back up to speed quickly. He has still been posting about Dakar since that second knee surgery.

I am excited to see how Bryce will do against all the big guns at Dakar. Hopefully he has a good run and that encourages other North American racers to find a way to do Dakar. Someone should buy Rob Mac a ticket to South America to check out the race and maybe put some ideas in his head.

spalind

In his limited rally raid history so far he and Pete have been competitive with the pointy end of the field...not beating them but right with them and capable of stage wins. If they drive smart and have good luck (no mechanical gremlins) a top 10 is well within reason and I think he has an outside shot at the top five which would be a great result for a first timer.

randy s

if navigation and familiarization with the car with pete went well and the mini is on par with all the rest of the top guys and he can get some quality seat time and testing done, there's zero reason they can't get on the podium or else red bull wouldn't have hooked them up..he's smart, fearless, reads the terrain really well and has great instincts.. learns fast and he gets it,,..he's always been as fast as anyone out there and proves it in every venue he competes in and that it's a competitive factory ride with factory support can't be over stated..on another point, he also seems more personable and respectful of the other guys ability, experience and accomplishments and much less likely to become wrapped up in drama..the guy's a professional and extremely capable..regardless of how well he does or doesn't do, i'm sure they'll represent the brand and their country very well...wish them all the luck in the world and a clean, safe run for everyone..these cats are the best in the bidness they're racing against and they'll need it..

Last edited:

Yumaoffroad

good stuff

Dirty Harry

if navigation and familiarization with the car with pete went well and the mini is on par with all the rest of the top guys and he can get some quality seat time and testing done, there's zero reason they can't get on the podium or else red bull wouldn't have hooked them up...
Come on Randy you have followed Dakar long enough to know that Bryce will not be on the podium in his first appearance. People said the same thing last year with Sheldon and how did that work out?

I am rooting for Bryce, but a top ten seems like it would be very impressive to me. I don't see him beating Peterhansel, Loeb, Despres, Al Attiyah, Devilliers, Roma, Poulter, and Hirvonen at their own game.

crazyeye

I think a top five is realistic for him. he did really well for himself in the small rally's he has raced in.

Dirty Harry

Predictions on how many (or if any) stage wins Bryce will get?
I predict that he will win none. These predictions happen every year. With RG, with the Gordini, with Sheldon last year. Come on guys lets have some realistic expectations here!

I think that Bryce will be competitive and learn a lot at Dakar this year. I think that he has the right mindset for rally raid and could even be the first American to win the rally at some point in the future. I don't think that he will be on the podium or win a stage this year. If I was Pete and had never been to Dakar I wouldn't WANT to have to open a stage. Do you think that Nasser could come to the Baja 1000 and finish on the podium his first year? I don't, and it isn't due to lack of talent (in either case).

ZequeArgentina

I predict that he will win none. These predictions happen every year. With RG, with the Gordini, with Sheldon last year. Come on guys lets have some realistic expectations here!

I think that Bryce will be competitive and learn a lot at Dakar this year. I think that he has the right mindset for rally raid and could even be the first American to win the rally at some point in the future. I don't think that he will be on the podium or win a stage this year. If I was Pete and had never been to Dakar I wouldn't WANT to have to open a stage. Do you think that Nasser could come to the Baja 1000 and finish on the podium his first year? I don't, and it isn't due to lack of talent (in either case).
I do agree with your statement.
He can win stages, as Dakar style make everything can happen and anyone in the top list can win Brice has done a good preapration, the cr is good, so he may do it, but probably is not what he is looking for in his first Dakar.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
That is why I asked the question. My prediction is that Bryce will win one stage and finish 7th OA. Maybe wishful thinking but think what Kurt did his first year (R.I.P.). Other predictions?

Chris Tobin

Predictions on how many (or if any) stage wins Bryce will get?
I also predict none, but not because of Bryce... Do you think any MINIs will take a stage win? Based on last year I say it is not very likely that MINI gets many if any stage wins... I expect Bryce to finish in the top 10 though which will be very good for his first Dakar.

randy s

Come on Randy you have followed Dakar long enough to know that Bryce will not be on the podium in his first appearance. People said the same thing last year with Sheldon and how did that work out?

I am rooting for Bryce, but a top ten seems like it would be very impressive to me. I don't see him beating Peterhansel, Loeb, Despres, Al Attiyah, Devilliers, Roma, Poulter, and Hirvonen at their own game.

you never know..i just think bryce will bring a more professional approach in and talent wise, in my opinion, he's faster than mark miller was with vw and miller ran out in front with the big boys and got a top 5 in his first dakar....right?..it's not fair to compare creed to bryce either although i think creed was doomed from the start in a gordini..being a factory driver is huge dirty..you've followed dakar long enough to know that..jaja.

randy s

i never said he was a lock to get on the box..just that he's got the skill set and temperament for it..