BS booby traps

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Wrecked bikes from booby traps piss me off to no end. I am a media guy who often heads out on the first 100 miles an hour before the bikes. I see booby traps and cannot do much -- I see the guys hanging around who probably made them, but am pretty powerless to do anything. I also cannot stay at any single boobytrap to warn bikes. I also only carry a receiver. I have spent an hour or so at a booby trap in the 500 2 yrs ago and had stuff stolen from my bike while helping wrecked riders and warning oncoming traffic -- really a sucky situation. I wanted to kicks some kids ass, but that was a recipe for trouble, not sure if they were the kids who made the booby trap (squared out ditch, filled with rocks, RM35), or just wanted to hang out and see carnage. What I propose is a pre-race booby trap course sweep crew. This would be a couple of quads that have shovels and course marking cones, tape, signs, and two-way radios. They can try to quickly tear down the trap, warn Score-Ops, and mark the location. Obviously, they cannot do the entire course, but they could do the first 50 miles out of Ensenada, where they mostly occur. Not sure if anyone has proposed this already, but if not, what do you think??? Sounds like a great idea to me. Doug with WICKED GRAVITY VIDEO

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
If we report this to the Weatherman he in turn will anounce this over the air and SCORE Ops has commited to send police to the site. Confronting the locals is not the best thing to do, but take as much footage of the criminals to later enforce the conviction when police makes the arrests.

michael_loomis

Reaction
I think SCORE should buy a four seater... fill 3 seats with those guys carrying the 100 round "magazines" from your vid, and of course, I'll drive and be the course sweeper before the start. :)

durazoe

Reaction
FYI, I believe that San Ysidro address is a p.o. box. I'd go check but i dont live near there anymore.

Yes. Stuckthrotle is right.... 482 W. San Ysidro Blvd. is a P.O. Box rental and post office and not a residence. I currently have a box there and my mom knows the owner very well. Let me know if I can be of any help or if you need anything from that adress. I can talk to the owner.;)

eastcounty61

Reaction
Website
www.youtube.com
Im getting a little off subject here from everything you guys are doing, which is great and i believe will have a positive impact in our sport and safety, especially for us on bikes, but has anyone seen the new Desert People checkpoint 6? All this talk about people filming booby traps and there are about four shots of the same one in that movie. Any comments there?

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
The beauty of this is that this is the 1st time we have solid evidence how the small and unethical film makers "prepare" the scene.

Klaus and Curtise DO NOT SUPPORT this type of activity, as you know they subcontract part of their material. I am sure these trap filming will now have to into much more scrutiny and I hope these "snuffing" techniques dissapear.

Oscar Ramos from SCORE will have a special meeting with all the registered offroad photograph and video companies.....They will touch the subject and try to eliminate all together filming traps.

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
I just got off the phone with Gabriel Garcia from the newspaper "El Vigia". Gabriel is an off-road fan, an excellent reporter and above all...a powerful pen that will help us get the message through in the Baja California Media.

Oscar Ramos (SCORE), Gabriel and yours truly think that one of the best things we can do, (besides prosecuting the criminals) is to get the word out in a media campaign.

A media campaign telling the general public, that these crimes will not be left unpunished.
A media campaign that will raise higher the public perception that racers do get hurt and we need to be aware of who ever wants to hurt them.

Gabriel is also our colleague in this forum, his user name is Gabriel Garcia.

We are in good hands and I am confident that other newspapers will pick up the story once Gabriel writes about it…..Gabriel is well known to break incredible news and this one has his attention.

Good Luck Gabriel and thank you for your help!

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
Any updates on this issue and what SCORE is doing?

SCORE is now in direct contact with Ron Wilson. They will provide legal assistance and they will help us with the media campaign.

They are excited on the idea this can actually reduce "race fan" interference.:)

Reaction
Website
sdkracing.com
Booby trap or not , this 1987 has to be the start of not helping the competitors. Almost seems they pick the one's to fly over???[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH4Pd8UzJHs&eur"]YouTube - Off Road Video - Baja International 1987[/ame]

ScottyA

Reaction
I hit several as early as 1980 (telephone pole almost got me). I'm sure there are people on here that saw them before that.

619Tacoma

Reaction
Well i don't know whether this is in fact a "BOOBY TRAP"..
But it definetly looks like something to that effect. At the very least these guys should have moved those big rocks on the left (if it wasn't them that put it there).

SOME HELP ON THE VIDEO PLEASE:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/knKa2hlK-HM&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/knKa2hlK-HM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And is it just a coincidence that these guys are ALSO wearing a RED t-shirt & Hat?
Much like the guys from Xbaja? ............................... :confused::confused:

BGRANT

Reaction
It was a clearly a deversion to steer people towards the ravine. That would hurt like hell cutting that corner tight on a bike or quad and hitting that rock. It could have easily been moved but the sadistic SOBs wanted to see carnage. Can't believe they tried to pull that class 1 out in the opposite direction it went in. Probably caused more damage.

ANSRACING

Reaction
this video brings up a good point.if your there as a spectator or chaser and you obviously know it is a hazard should you notify the cars to slow down or just watch the "carnage".
i ask because at this past mdr night race our car rolled because of hitting a burm on the side of the track. a spectator showed us the video and said someone else had rolled at the same point just a little bit earlier. he was excited because of all the great footage he was getting and offered to sell us the footage. we immediately put up a reflector to make it obvious and notified mdr.
now it was not a boobytrap by any means but because it was dark and right on the side of the track it was not visible at all so it was very dangerous.
What would you do?

SurfnRide

Reaction
What would you do?

I would do anything/ everything in my power to help my fellow off-road racers.

Remove obstacle.....warn racers.

But that's just my opinion...I actually care about my fellow human beings.

If we look back at the video of yours truly crashing in the 500, several spectators were actually waving their arms to get us to slow down.

Unfortunately, they were only about 10 feet in front of the jump. Never saw them. Too little, too late....

619Tacoma

Reaction
What would you do?

I go to all the SCORE Baja races as only a spectator & i can honestly say that we always try and help the racers. Whether it's telling them to slow down, or which way the course is, or if they need a beer:D (yeah, if you're racing & need a beer, drop by. It'll only take 10 seconds) .... I try and discourage people from taking down Course Markers or altering the course in any negative way.

But there's only so much you can do....

jrtorres

Reaction
I was telling my dad the other day, if I ever see one of those dudes , or anyone building a booby trap, that I would come up to them and sucker punch them in the face. This is exactly how a racer feels about hitting a trap, they come unexpectedly and out of nowhere. Then I'd be like, you got knocked the f**k out! (in a chris tucker voice!)

LOL The Chris Tucker voice puts it over the top, and yep then they would know what it feels like. :D