• Forum membership has its advantages....

BTF Fabrication Ram 1500 4wd LT Build

DirtKingDodge

Well I went to the Texas Raptor Run this past weekend! FINALLY got to stretch the truck's legs a bit. The truck did alot better than I thought it would! I'm not sure what I thought would happen, but I was hitting stuff alot harder and faster than I thought would be able to. I still have some things to figure out, but it's a great start!

The biggest issue I had was my trans overheating. I am looking into some Derale radiator/fan coolers for that and my power steering (my PSC pump did a hell of a job!). I am trying to research (I've heard both are fine) whether to put them in the front or mount them in the back on my bed cage. I've also heard radiator style coolers are better than ones with fans, but I don't see how that is. Still need to figure that out.

Other than that, a few things I need to trim, tighten my alignment, tune the front (it's a little soft), install some Boogie Bumps in the rear (I have stock bumps right now) etc. I also need to figure out what people are doing with their coolant reservoir cap. I was shloshing coolant all over the place. Overall it was a great weekend! I'll get the videos I have uploaded to Youtube and get them posted

^^^ Shawn Miller with Miller Offroad Desings 2010 Ram Runner (Kore Kit)

I also got some GREAT ideas on rear bed set ups from some of the Raptor's out there. All done by Shawn Miller

Looks good. What model number deavers are you running? Also, how are your front hubs holding up? I go through mine like water. I bought Timkens and they didn't fair any better. Looking into doing a D44 hub swap.

DirtKingDodge

Looks good. What model number deavers are you running? Also, how are your front hubs holding up? I go through mine like water. I bought Timkens and they didn't fair any better. Looking into doing a D44 hub swap.
Thanks man. I'll have to ask BTF I can't remember what they went with back there. I know they still sit up high though! I want them to settle down some so I'm a little more level.

And this was the first time I could actually take this thing out and use it so my hubs were fine. Are you 2wd or 4wd? I know the 2wd hubs are notorious for being crappy. If you end up doing that swap let me know how it goes, might end up having to do the same. Would that conversion let you run like a Mazzulla or ProAm hub or is that a different size? PM me your number or email so we can chat more, I don't check this very often.

I'm 2wd, and considering the hubs were never intended for 37'' tires I'm not surprised that they don't last long at all. I'm going to use factory hubs and snouts from a F-150. Probably have to end up making new uprights too, well see. you can email me at millermetalwerx@gmail.com

Zambo

The biggest issue I had was my trans overheating. I am looking into some Derale radiator/fan coolers for that
Are you running the stock trans? How are you driving it....just putting it in D or are you putting it manually into the lower gears? How hot is it getting?

DirtKingDodge

Are you running the stock trans? How are you driving it....just putting it in D or are you putting it manually into the lower gears? How hot is it getting?

Sorry man just saw this.

It's a stock trans for now. Since it's an 07 I only have 1st and 2nd on the column. I wish I had 3rd I'd just leave it in that. I'd like to upgrade it in the future so some type of automatic that you can lock in a gear on the column, I'll just need to find one/figure out what exists for my truck. Just running 45-50mph it got to 210 in about 30 min. I had to pull over and let it cool for awhile. After that running 25-30mph kept it around 180-190 so I made it back to camp, obviously that wasn't as fun though. I've been looking into some Derale coolers to solve that issue.

Zambo

Sorry man just saw this.

It's a stock trans for now. Since it's an 07 I only have 1st and 2nd on the column. I wish I had 3rd I'd just leave it in that. I'd like to upgrade it in the future so some type of automatic that you can lock in a gear on the column, I'll just need to find one/figure out what exists for my truck. Just running 45-50mph it got to 210 in about 30 min. I had to pull over and let it cool for awhile. After that running 25-30mph kept it around 180-190 so I made it back to camp, obviously that wasn't as fun though. I've been looking into some Derale coolers to solve that issue.
Coolers help for sure. Just keep in mind that what makes a trans get hot is the torque converter slipping. That happens when you're lugging the truck in too high of a gear. The computer is trying to generate mpg, which isn't necessarily what the trans likes. I spent most of the time prerunning my 04 in 2nd on the column and only shifted it into D on sections where you can go faster than about 45 or so.

DirtKingDodge

Coolers help for sure. Just keep in mind that what makes a trans get hot is the torque converter slipping. That happens when you're lugging the truck in too high of a gear. The computer is trying to generate mpg, which isn't necessarily what the trans likes. I spent most of the time prerunning my 04 in 2nd on the column and only shifted it into D on sections where you can go faster than about 45 or so.
Ah, thanks for that info. I know my TC is on it's way out too, probably the trans too for that matter. I thought about putting it in 2nd but I was running 50-55 most of the time except for turns so I didn't want to be that low. I might try a new and different stalled TC and see if that helps. The one I have is an Edge 2800 stall. It kept searching for gears the whole time

Zambo

Ah, thanks for that info. I know my TC is on it's way out too, probably the trans too for that matter. I thought about putting it in 2nd but I was running 50-55 most of the time except for turns so I didn't want to be that low. I might try a new and different stalled TC and see if that helps. The one I have is an Edge 2800 stall. It kept searching for gears the whole time
Yeah if you're running the stock trans I think I'd just stick with stock TC. When you're spinning less than 2800 rpm that TC is slipping, which is what makes power, which is why it's a "torque converter." I think of it like feathering the clutch on a dirt bike but maybe there's a better analogy.

There are trans controllers that replace the factory controller and allow you to paddle shift that thing. You have to reflash the ecu so it thinks you have a manual if you run one.

DirtKingDodge

Yeah if you're running the stock trans I think I'd just stick with stock TC. When you're spinning less than 2800 rpm that TC is slipping, which is what makes power, which is why it's a "torque converter." I think of it like feathering the clutch on a dirt bike but maybe there's a better analogy.

There are trans controllers that replace the factory controller and allow you to paddle shift that thing. You have to reflash the ecu so it thinks you have a manual if you run one.
Oo now there's an idea. I could switch back to a stock TC and look into those paddle shifters. It's such a rabbit hole, I need to regear too with these 37s. I have 456s but 488s would be alot better and get me back to where I need to be. I need that "feather the throttle" feeling back. Do you remember or know where I can find those paddle shifter conversion? I'm assuming it still stays manual but I can lock it in any gear I want?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DirtKingDodge

Little update! Haven't done much in awhile. Been busy with work and stuff, but finally I'm getting around to getting this thing caged! A buddy of mine made some WIY cages for 3rd gen Dodges so I snagged one and dropped the truck off with Miller Offroad in Houston to do the install

We'll see how it turns out! I'm going to have him do the cage, racing seats, some trans coolers and some other misc items so I'm ready for the next Raptor Run in January. Stay tuned!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DirtKingDodge

And I'm back! It's been awhile, but with work, the new year, getting married soon, etc, I've been swamped. I took the truck to Miller Offroad Designs back in the fall for him to do the cage and some other goodies.

The cage is a WIY kit from T.E Designs. He's making Dodge and now Chevy and Raptor cages as well as some nice trailing arms for a back half in the future ;) it's a badass cage. I still need to add a few things to it/the interior. I need to add a few more tubes and some race seats/harnesses still. I also want to do a center console set up for race radios and such. We'll get there.

I also decided to switch up the wheel color. I had a spare wheel at my house so I tested the color to see what I thought. I freaking LOVE it! The color is exactly what I wanted so I'll do the rest of the wheels this color. I wanted to be a little different....

I've also been busy creating a YouTube channel. I've seen a ton of Vlogs of people driving around in their hot rods and doing commentary but I haven't seen anything with someone talking about the hobbies/sport I love. I've always enjoyed watching the "build" videos and documentaries about prepping for races or like the 6 part series on building the TSCO prerunners. So I decided to start a channel to document not only the build progress of my truck, but of other trucks here in Texas and the shops that are gaining speed here. There are 2 race teams here that are starting to gain some tracking (Adam Lunn Adam Lunn (@adamlunn53) • Instagram photos and videos and Mills Motorsports @millsmotorsports • Instagram photos and videos ) and I want to follow them and watch them gain some popularity. Especially coming from a state that is still getting it's feet wet with the sport. Here are my awkward vids if you feel like checking it out lol

And here are some cool pics that got taken of my truck at Texas Raptor Run last year I didn't know about. Pretty cool!

As I mentioned I'm getting married soon (next weekend) but after that in April I'll be getting a few things tidied up for this years Texas Raptor Run in May, so I'll be posting a little more then.