Rory

Crayola Killer
Remember, building it is half the fun.......so I've been told. Hahahahhaha

y2kbaja

That wasn't funny.
lol
Yeah, I guess it was.

y2kbaja

This weeks update. Transmission, rear suspension and brakes are in. Steering shaft is done. Front suspension is coming together. Fuel cell mounting is figured out, just waiting parts. Body panels left for paint. I started working on the dash and wiring last night.

81 days, 4 hours, 2 minutes and 10 seconds and counting until tech.

Attachments

y2kbaja

I've also been working on reproducing old VORRA decals for the car. The orange is a patch from VORRA's first year 1975, the red is a decal reproduction. The number plate was my dads from the early 70's and will be on the car. I scanned it and am reproducing the font for all the other numbers on the car. The numbers were hand painted by my parents best friend at the time who recently passed away. This will be an honoring tribute to him as well. He also did the VORRA logos. The 44 chase decal has the wolf in it for my in-laws that sponsored the car some money for the race. Thanks Ma & Pa.

Attachments

y2kbaja

Some more prep last night. Fuel cell is mounted. Bracket for the Parker is fabbed. Spare tire mount is mocked up. And we have an idea for locating the traction mats: on the rear bumper.

Attachments

FCRT 13X

Nice work! I will be watching as you descend the peninsula. I won't be able enter this year but we are looking at 2016 for another go.
Brendan

mikerd400

The old cell did not have a bladder. It was a custom aluminum cell, most likely from the seventies. We never got an answer for using the old aluminum cell, so we went with a newer cell.

43mod

nice fellas. I am glad you have it. I am at 0 time for anything other than work for a while and a little skittish on time for the race. Knowing myself I will make a way for the race to happen. I am very much looking forward to a race where I am not in charge !
Jess and I have a 25 year anniversary in May and she is going to an island with or without me. That will be my time and money issue for racing.

y2kbaja

Sounds good Russ...keep us in the loop. We're starting to look at logistics for the race. Any word from Johnnie about a spare trans?

y2kbaja

Lot's of progress this past weekend. Spare tire mount is done, we just need to mount the jack to it and paint it up. Seat, belts and floor pan are in. Motor is in, hopefully it won't have to come back out, the rear cage is a pain in the arse to get on and off. Body panels are getting prepped for paint. Rory @ Racers Only has the art work done for the shirts. We are not running that air cleaner, we have a different set up. All the shock parts are finally here.
Still a long list of short stuff to do.
60 days to tech.

Attachments

y2kbaja

It's been a couple of weeks since an update but we hit the dirt for a few minutes of testing. Any time you unload the car and drive it back on the trailer is successful. Now we actually have a list of things to do, not just do everything. 47 Days to tech

Attachments

y2kbaja

We were able to get out to the desert this weekend and put about 25 miles on the car. Some minor issues but once again drove it on the trailer. We're going to add charlynn power steering, continue to work and adjust the brakes and possibly redo the shifter trying to eliminate the 30 year old side shifter.

LantanaTX

We were able to get out to the desert this weekend and put about 25 miles on the car. Some minor issues but once again drove it on the trailer. We're going to add charlynn power steering, continue to work and adjust the brakes and possibly redo the shifter trying to eliminate the 30 year old side shifter.
One alternative to the old side shifter in a Brandwood cable shifter make by Jim Cunningham in Phoenix AZ.

y2kbaja

wow. They don't give those things away do they! I dug under the workbench and found a couple of old Toyota recalled steering shaft u joints, they make perfect shifter joints. We'll see what we can do.

y2kbaja

Finally getting some color laid down.

Attachments

retroblazer

image.jpg image.jpg

I'll have this to you by the end of the week. My small contribution to the effort. As I said in my note, I had a side shifter in my old spares for twenty years and a move to CA.. I sent the pics to Kevin Probst today just to make sure I wasn't wasting time. For those that don't know, the Probst family, with Kevin and older brother Jeff, were the most prolific off road chassis builders in the Midwest, under the Berrien Buggy brand. Kevin told me that this shifter was a very reliable piece. The pivot point is covered in grease, protected by a simple rubber tube. He told me that this one was made by none other than Bob Warren, the early master of off road racing in the Midwest. Bob was one of the first to race Funco's in the Midwest, racing both a Hustler and a SSI.

y2kbaja

awesome, we owe you one.

y2kbaja

Finally got the panels back from a buddy that painted them, I think they look great! I will post a picture of my dad's baja bug of the same color from the 80's soon. We got the power steering pump and Char Lynn unit installed and the hoses routed. Hydraulic clutch is installed. We had another OCD buddy come over and spent a couple hours looking at our old side shifter and got it all sorted and adjusted. So much on the list and so little time before the race. 32 days to tech.

Attachments