Budget Toyota: Front Shocks

pbplya888

Reaction
I am trying to decide what shocks to put on my 91 2wd, as of now i already have 300mm Saw torsions (came with the truck), and I have to buy used (cant afford anything else) So far i have come across:

- king 2.5 x 10" smoothies w/ res. (best offer...)
- 4 fox 2.0 x 8" w/ res. ($300)
- Racerunner 2.0 x 8'' Coilovers ($350) no coils or hardware.
- fox 2.0 x 8" coilovers w/ piggy back ($500) Brand new. no coils.

i would really like to use a 10" shock but am at a limit of $500 for the front, so my questions are: Will the torsions hold up under some pretty heavy abuse? Should i save a little more and get a 10" coilover? Is there a considerable difference between the 2.5's and the 2.0's? (sorry if these have been covered in previous threads, i tried several searches with no luck)

By the way, i am planning on putting on a custom 3.5" over kit, somewhat like the Total Chaos BJ Kit, and will retain stock BJs till they go out, then uniballs.

Thanks in advanced for any recomendations or info!

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
I always reccomend buying a threaded tube over a smoth body. A threaded tube without hardware will work the same as a smoothie and is easier to sell or convert to coilovers later if needed.

Last edited:

pbplya888

Reaction
That was a thought... Is a considerable difference between the 2.5's and 2.0's other than price, or does it just take longer for the 2.5's to heat up/fade due to the added oil volume?

Last edited:

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
That was a thought... Is a considerable difference between the 2.5's and 2.0's other than price, or oes it just take longer for the 2.5's to heat up/fade due to the added oil volume?
Yes, 2.5 should take longer to fade, also some of the cheaper 2.0 and 2.5 offerings come with lower grade seals, rods, and heims. You will probably find a better deal and have more durrability with used race shocks over new sandbuggy/prerunner stuff.

pbplya888

Reaction
Makes sense.... but how can one tell the difference between a "race shock" with quality parts, and a less superior buggy/prerunner shock of the same brand?

Thanks for the info btw, its been a big help in making my decision.