Buggy Brakes

McCredie A

Reaction
Buggy's have ran turning brakes for a long time. It seems in the last 10 years or so trucks have started using "turning brakes". Rear brakes hooked up to a similar style handle as a turning brake in a buggy.

I understand the difference between the spool of the truck and open diff of the buggy. I am wondering if any buggy guys have tried hooking up a turning brake handle that engages both rear brakes like a truck? What are the thoughts on this? Would it be a waste of time?

mxben

Solutions
Reaction
Buggy's have ran turning brakes for a long time. It seems in the last 10 years or so trucks have started using "turning brakes". Rear brakes hooked up to a similar style handle as a turning brake in a buggy.

I understand the difference between the spool of the truck and open diff of the buggy. I am wondering if any buggy guys have tried hooking up a turning brake handle that engages both rear brakes like a truck? What are the thoughts on this? Would it be a waste of time?

Not really to you're point but when you watch the in-car footage of dickerson that dude works the f*** out of that lever. It's pretty impressive.

E.Hagle

Reaction
Before driving a 10 car I would have thought engaging both tires would be a better option but after getting some seat time I wouldn’t trade it out. It does both high speed and low speed jobs in one package as opposed to the dual engagement really only working well with momentum and weight transfer.

jon coleman

Reaction
Before driving a 10 car I would have thought engaging both tires would be a better option but after getting some seat time I wouldn’t trade it out. It does both high speed and low speed jobs in one package as opposed to the dual engagement really only working well with momentum and weight transfer.
in trucks it seems all your looking for is to initiate ' polar moment of inertia', get all that weight to start rotating, buggys seem to need help to over come a throttle on ' push' with no weight up front& All the grip in the rear, i just remember my first car, baja bug , would wanna go straight in the least opportune moment😵😵😵

swiftracing5

Reaction
In a buggy with a rear engine you don’t want rear (or front) skidding together. The weight transfer will spin you out. You see it every year at BAP infield.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Why isn't his co-driver wearing gloves? He went to all the trouble of the firesuit, helmet, skirt, etc and then cheaps out on the most basic safety stuff...SMMFH.
I'm pretty sure gloves aren't required in most organizations.

And also, touchscreens and gloves don't always mix well.

jon coleman

Reaction
Why isn't his co-driver wearing gloves? He went to all the trouble of the firesuit, helmet, skirt, etc and then cheaps out on the most basic safety stuff...SMMFH.
or when they Do wear gloves , its those melty - to - your -skin plastic nylon ' mechanix' style gloves, 😖

Charlietuna

Reaction
I'm pretty sure gloves aren't required in most organizations.

And also, touchscreens and gloves don't always mix well.
Fire doesn't really give a poop if they're required or not....and touchscreens don't work with scar tissue real well either.

They have million dollar equipment but ten cent thinking.

McCredie A

Reaction
In a buggy with a rear engine you don’t want rear (or front) skidding together. The weight transfer will spin you out. You see it every year at BAP infield.

Are you guys running cutting brakes? If so one or two handle? What is your thoughts on them and when do you use them the most?

cjohnson

Reaction
Simple answer: Because the racing organization doesn't require fire-rated gloves.
This is not directed at you but does everyone need a baby sitter? If there is no rule they won't think of their own safety? This is why there are so many arbitrary blanket rules because people don't use common sense. Wear safety equipment when racing. If you've ever seen someone burned up it's not a pleasant sight. It does not take much exposure to turn a hand into a lobster claw.

Last edited:

E.Hagle

Reaction
Are you guys running cutting brakes? If so one or two handle? What is your thoughts on them and when do you use them the most?
Single handle just like the video. Couldn’t really imagine Baja without it. Transition into tight corners, pick up the throttle a lot quicker. Rarely using it as an aid above 50mph