Buggy Brakes

cjohnson

Reaction
In the video it looks to me he's working the handle in both directions implying a cutting/turning brake and not a hydraulic hand brake AKA hoon handle. A turning brake does not make sense if the diff has a spool or is fully locked. With a locked diff moving the turning brake forward would have the same affect as moving it backwards. Maybe this truck has some form of differentiation in the rear axle for this to work?

Now it could be he is a former buggy racer that is used to a turning brake. IE move handle forward for left turns pull it back for right. The truck may have a hoon handle with the same motion so he didn't have to relearn.

There was another thread a while back about using turning brakes on the front wheels but that is very unlikely due to the unpredictable nature of uneven braking and negative steering feedback on the front.

My understanding is predominately offroad buggies use turning brakes and rally cars use a hydraulic hand brakes to setup for corners. Buggies do not typically slide through corners because braking force is only applied to one rear wheel. Rally cars apply the brakes to both rear wheels causing the back end to step out.

I could see a truck with a locked diff using a hoon handle but that's not what I see in the video. If it was a hoon handle I would expect the handle to be moved the same direction no matter if it's a left or right corner.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
In the video it looks to me he's working the handle in both directions implying a cutting/turning brake and not a hydraulic hand brake AKA hoon handle. A turning brake does not make sense if the diff has a spool or is fully locked. With a locked diff moving the turning brake forward would have the same affect as moving it backwards. Maybe this truck has some form of differentiation in the rear axle for this to work?

Now it could be he is a former buggy racer that is used to a turning brake. IE move handle forward for left turns pull it back for right. The truck may have a hoon handle with the same motion so he didn't have to relearn.

Former buggy racer? Do you know you Broc Dickerson is?

That is a buggy he is driving in the video with the forward/backward lever action and turning brakes.

cjohnson

Reaction
Former buggy racer? Do you know you Broc Dickerson is?

That is a buggy he is driving in the video with the forward/backward lever action and turning brakes.
Apparently not 🤣 🤣 🤣

The OP mentioned trucks so I assumed the video was about a truck. If it's a buggy then the turning brake action makes perfect sense👍

jon coleman

Reaction
i know A Broc Glover, ( my buddy stole his leathers, ' Golden Boy', in 1984 at the Murph sx, bunch of drunk hoodlums broke into his box van/ trailer, and he said he got ' caught up in the moment', ( later returned them , decades later, Broc was 'jazzed'😍