• Forum membership has its advantages....

Buggy Floor Jack

ErikIrvine

Does anybody have any recommendations for a on-board jack for a baja bug? I really like the Craftsman Aluminum floor jack, but 3 tons seems a little excessive for a car that if you add up al sides weighs just over 1 ton. I wanted a good quality jack like the Craftsman, but lighter (less lifting capacity ok). The Harbor Freight one is light, but that is too low of quality. I am open to other styles too (i.e. bottle, hi-lift style), main focus is to keep it light

DesertGuy1

Erik, I have been looking into jacks also and the options seem limited, IMHO. I decided to go with a "hybrid" bumper jack. Basically, I machined a pin from 1144 and turned a handle/base plate from 6061. The mounting plates are made from P/O steel. I then hacked away at the bumper jack removing everything un-necessary and all will be attached with "Quick-Fists". I'm finishing up making a few for friends and hopefully will pan out, total weight of jack is 10 pounds 5 ounces (completed weight).

Not that you will want to do the same but keep your options open...

(older pics of progress)

ErikIrvine

Thanks for the replies guys! Desertguy looks good! What is the jack ratchet portion from?

bajaherbie

here is my jack... modified to fit the front beam or rear engine cage of my baja. still rocking the stock baseplate color... buick/olds/pontiac/chevy, whatever it came from.

D.G.F

here is my jack... modified to fit the front beam or rear engine cage of my baja. still rocking the stock baseplate color... buick/olds/pontiac/chevy, whatever it came from.

you can not beat one of those jacks

Dietrich

Nissan Titan Jack with a socket extension welded to the end. For the battery impact gun. Cheap, easy, fast, light, simple, and rated. Lifts my four seat long travel car with 35" tires just fine. Go to the junk yard and find one. Nissan is what I had but I bet there are better ones on other trucks. Also keep an empty rolled up sand bag with it. In case it's soft dirt fill up the bag and put the jack on top it works fine.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1429768266.163523.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1429768296.650646.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

5racer

mod a bumper jack they never fail ,they also can be used for many things ,shovel [ask zack lol], spreader bar , and for those days that you have to set in desert for hours turn it up side down and you have a seat lol.

burninfuel

I went with the FOA for my Crumco, clean and fits nice. weld supply tube to center/balance on each side.
I have a G.M. 70's jack like new from Ebay and will let you have it for $40