Buggy rear help

MesaKrew

Reaction
Ok guys, I have done truck stuff before but this is my first buggy attempt. I need to know what is needed to extend travel in rear vw bugy style suspension. I was thinking about making some 3X3's but I have no clue whats needed as far as other mods. anybody wanna help me out?

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
Ok guys, I have done truck stuff before but this is my first buggy attempt. I need to know what is needed to extend travel in rear vw bugy style suspension. I was thinking about making some 3X3's but I have no clue whats needed as far as other mods. anybody wanna help me out?

The most basic way to get more travel out of VW suspension is longer/wider suspension components... If you want to undertake the task of building your own trailing arms go for it! But most people do not take the time or make the effort since there is a huge aftermarket for off road VW parts. The only other needed parts for installing 3x3s would be longer axles (assuming your car is already irs). If you really want to make the most travel out of your rear go with micro stubs and race prepped 930 cvs, but now we're getting into details.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Wendell #527

Reaction
The angle the arms rotate across center is another main thing to consider. I am assuming you're taking out the torsion bar and converting it to coilovers. If you convert it and end up with say an 11 degree angle you will have an advantage over no angle as far as CV angle and as far as keeping the tread on the ground while turning rather than the sidewall being on the ground. The disadvantage of more angle is that the wheel will tow in as it travels upward like landing from a jump. Kartek sells a chrome moly bent beam and the long arms that fit it. That would take alot of the engineering out of it, but if you want to make everything it would be more rewarding if you got it to work! It's cool to build your own. Good luck--