• Forum membership has its advantages....

Buggy Spring rates for the desert?

Banshee_man

I'm looking to set my car up to run in the desert. I want to know what other people are running for spring rates with a similar car to mine. Just looking for a ride style for cruising/pre running. Car weighs about 2200lb. I know it's not going to be exact but hopefully it will get me close
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1490631535.277009.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Banshee_man

Do you know this car?... The reason why I ask is, this is the first time I have posted anything about it on here...nothing's wrong just trying to get the suspension dialed in.

cosmo

Super Moderator
So,, what springs are on the car now? What valving is in the shocks. What is the weight %, (front to rear)?

Last edited:

swiftracing5

Dialing in your suspension is going to have a lot more to do with valving than springs, especially in a play car. Do you know what valving is in them?

NIKAL

Like mentioned there's a lot more to it then just Springs. What's it doing that you think it needs different Springs or tuning? Do you know who built the chassis? You could contact them as they should have some base lines for you. What motor & trans combo? What is the current spring rate? It looks to sit well. How much preload are on the front & rear springs. Do you know what the shock valving is? Is the front shock a 2 or 2.5? Internal bypass?

I would not be surprised if the rear could not be tuned by adjusting the tubes. I drove a buggy that I would have swore needed Springs and a total re-valve After having someone in the know help tune it, by just adjusting the tubes, the car ran like a completely different car. It's amazing what a few turns can do!

Banshee_man

Thanks for the info on the simple tuning of the bypasses. The car was built by HRT, It has a mendeola 2d and a Acura 3.5L. there are 2.0 fox up front and I don't know what the weight differential is between the front and rear. . I have no idea what the valving is currently and I have no idea what the spring rates are because there are No numbers on the springs. It sits really good, the problem is that it rides pretty really ruff in the smaller stuff that's why I was thinking springs... obviously I need to get schooled in suspension.