• Forum membership has its advantages....

buggy theft

lem111

I am looking for any suggestions on how to lock up my toys in the desert/dunes?? i know there are alot of knowledgable people on this sight! Besides the obvious (store on/in trailer, alarm, standard lock and cable) what is the best way to keep someone from stealing my buggy? Is there a cable that cant be cut? locks that cant be cut? Something that would require a ton of time for a thief but not be too much of a burden on me. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. THX

TyBo1001

My dad has a device called a smart wheel from Cutting Edge Performance on his buggy. The ignition is in two parts and they work wirelessly. The steering wheel has a switch on it and there is a box that you can hide anywhere on the car. Take the steering wheel with you and they can't start the car. It's pretty cool, not cheap, but maybe an option to look at...

Here's their website: www.cuttingedgeperformanceproducts.com

Wendell #527

I put a car alarm on my toy hauler. All the doors and windows are wired in. It has a remote alarm that I keep with me. If I'm at a race where we're staying in a hotel I make sure my hotel room faces the parking lot where my truck and toy hauler are. I put the remote in the window when I go to bed. If somebody were to break in, I will instantly wake up and haul arse out into the parking lot and save my stuff. I am well armed, too. I really sleep better having that remote. I also have my team park their trucks right up against the back door of my toy hauler so they couldn't open it up if they did get in. If we're sleeping in the toy hauler with the race car outside I disable the vehicle so it would never start and I just park it real close to the window by where I sleep. Our dog wakes up pretty easy and she tells me if somebody is flocking with our stuff.

Demp

#mikesson
I put a car alarm on my toy hauler. All the doors and windows are wired in. It has a remote alarm that I keep with me. If I'm at a race where we're staying in a hotel I make sure my hotel room faces the parking lot where my truck and toy hauler are. I put the remote in the window when I go to bed. If somebody were to break in, I will instantly wake up and haul arse out into the parking lot and save my stuff. I am well armed, too. I really sleep better having that remote. I also have my team park their trucks right up against the back door of my toy hauler so they couldn't open it up if they did get in. If we're sleeping in the toy hauler with the race car outside I disable the vehicle so it would never start and I just park it real close to the window by where I sleep. Our dog wakes up pretty easy and she tells me if somebody is flocking with our stuff.
Amen! We always park a truck to the rear door and side doors to prevent entry. The Perp would have to peel the lid of the trailer like a sardine can to get in :)

M.Harvey1600

I also have my team park their trucks right up against the back door of my toy hauler so they couldn't open it up if they did get in. If we're sleeping in the toy hauler with the race car outside I disable the vehicle so it would never start and I just park it real close to the window by where I sleep. Our dog wakes up pretty easy and she tells me if somebody is flocking with our stuff.
Amen! We always park a truck to the rear door and side doors to prevent entry. The Perp would have to peel the lid of the trailer like a sardine can to get in :)

I remember hearing some fellow racers were in Barstow staying at the holiday inn express. They backed their trailer up to a tree to block the rear door. the thieves cut down the tree to get into the trailer and remove all the goods.

I have also heard of people jacking up cars to move them around and gain access to the backs of trailers. pretty scary. if a thief wants it bad enough they will get it...

95f150

I remember hearing some fellow racers were in Barstow staying at the holiday inn express. They backed their trailer up to a tree to block the rear door. the thieves cut down the tree to get into the trailer and remove all the goods.

I have also heard of people jacking up cars to move them around and gain access to the backs of trailers. pretty scary. if a thief wants it bad enough they will get it...
Well damn if he works that hard for it he deserves it

TKowns

What you can use is a Heavy Duty Chain with a Heavy Duty Lock and lock up all the bikes and buggys and strap them to the trailer. If the chain and lock is big enough it probably wont be-able to be cut.

charlie_brown

All good ideas. My truck is a bit different because I do drive it to the races, prerun, chase and back home.

I do a bit of all of these. I have 3 cables that I put through the 2 front wheels and the radius arms and one of them through a rear tire and trailing arm (spool). Have a line lock and one of the club type locks for the brake peddle. Remove steering wheel. A alarm with the load speaker in the cab to blast the guy out not everyone walking by. Battery cut off switch hidden and a fuel cut off switch hidden. And if I park in town next to one of the other trucks in our group, I have a cable to lock them together. I had all my locks keyed the same.
I have a couple other things I have also that are great deterrents but don’t want to give away everything on here.

I got it down to a quick routine but some friends laugh at me but at least I can sleep half decent at night.

Jerry Zaiden

Circuit breaker at battery, hidden main power switch, removable steering wheel, remove main fuse to fuel pump, park next to where you sleep. Locked are good for bikes, etc but only takes less than 3 seconds to cut with cutters. Make it hard to get but if they really want it they will get it.

Chris Tobin

I would think keeping it from rolling easily with chains, cables, locks etc would be a good idea as theives might be more apt to try to push something out of camp rather than start it and drive it out of camp...

I always say that theives are lazy by nature or they would get a real job, so do everything you can to make things difficult for them. An alarm system with a motion/impact sensor and a flashing LED to let the scum know that it is armed might be enough to get the theives to move on so that they don't risk getting caught or drawing attention to themselves.

If you do install an alarm, I suggest miltiple sirens so that if they disable one it will still be going off... battery backup sirens are great too... Also if installing an alarm on a rail or buggy with exposed chassis be careful to route wires in a safe and hidden manner so that they are not easily spotted and cut disabling the system. With most back-up battery sirens the siren will trigger if the main power is cut so this is a very good option for anything with an exposed or easily accesible battery!!!

I have a lot of experience with 12V alarm/security systems so feel free to ask questions or bounce ideas off me... I also still have a lot of new-old-stock inventory from my days of doing mobile installation so if you are interested send me a PM.

I hope this helps you keep your stuff away from scum-bag theives!!!!

Getrdone

I have a remote motion sensor from Northern. The receiver is either 110 or battery powered. You can set it on a table at camp and will alert you if anyone enters the area. In a parking lot you could put it in the car pointed at the drivers window. Most thieves look in the drivers window for contents and if they dont it will activate if it moves. It is in my planter now, and it buzzes if anyone walks up or anywhere near the house.http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415517_200415517