Buggy

Motorider

Reaction
I'm building a sand car, 5-seater, 2400# complete, and running 400-500 hp. This is a long travel buggy 23-24" of travel. I am trying to decide if I need to run 934 CV's or not. I was told that if I want to get reliable travel, and put the power to the ground that I am going to need to run the 934's not just the 930's. The 934's seem almost 1" in diameter bigger than the 930's. So my question is what should I run?

michael_loomis

Reaction
as far as longevity goes u SHOULD run 934's .... thats a lot of power for a 930 to handle . IMO it should be built to class 1 specs and nothing less , this will help ensure you wont be towed out from deep in the dunes.

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Moto-

Contact Doug at Fortin Racing. They make a trick 934.5 CV. They go together well with their long travel hubs (if you don't already have those).
http://www.fortinracing.com/hubs.html

While your at it, you might want to invest in one of their sealed bearing shifters as well. Good stuff!
http://www.fortinracing.com/shifters.html

I'm sure he'll give you good information, and get you what you need.

Tell him I sent ya! (he might charge you double!) LOL!

Good luck!

Motorider

Reaction
I haven't purchased the hubs yet. The hubs and cv's from Fortin have to cost a pretty penny. At raceReady i was looking at 1800 for a microstub kit with disk breaks, then 350 per cv with boots this is all for 934 cv. I would think from Fortin I would just double the price. Then if I tell him about Tony then I should just quadrouple the price??!! lol

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
No doubt run the 934/5's. Not all cv's are the same, polished,lightened different center stars that are stronger as well as different cages.Longest life boots are defenietly the KARTEK boots that you run with thier flanges and the proper length bolts.

desertracer

Reaction
I would go with the 935's with that type of power and travel. We have the fortin 935 hubs on our car and they have yet to let us down. We are putting about 300hp through the cv's and they look fine after a season. We are running the big Kartek boots with the special flange. Be ready to pay for the Fortin hubs, but they are worth every penny.

Motorider

Reaction
Well I called fortin yesterday, sounds like they have some pretty cool stuff. I don't know that I need the full floater hubs. I am thinking about just using their CV's with my stub axels. I am running a mendeola transmission, the 2D, and my only concern is if I use bullet proof CV's and bigger than the next part that is going to break would be my stub axels. but maybe that's good, because stub axels are much cheeper than cv's or any other part.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
wHAT SORT OF HUBS ARE YOU RUNNING? IF ITS A MICRO STUB YOUWSHOULD NEVER BREAK A STUB AXLE .

Motorider

Reaction
I am going to run a mirco stub, but what is the weakest link in my driveline? If I install the 934.5 CV's, is the weakest thing going to be my mendeola?

DG_BTI

Reaction
it dosn't sound like your going to use full floaters, but another option for everyone is BTI hubs. they are basicaly the same as Fortin with a few features. Many Alumicraft prerunners as well as Jimco's are running them. We just sold a set to Team Gordon for a class 1 they are building. Jeff Quinn, John Marking and Dondels all run our rear hubs. check out www.bti-tool.com and look under performance our you can call and ask for me for more info.

Motorider

Reaction
Does the shifter you sell only work with the mendeola 5 speed or does it work with the four also? Also can you tell me what it runs? Those hubs look very pretty. I wish I had someone to sponsor me, then I'd pick up a set.

Motorider

Reaction
I've got another question, do 934 CV's get a higher degree of rotation than 930's do?

desertracer

Reaction
I think 935 get a bit less but don't quote me on that. We usually run ours at about 20-24 degrees depending on the terrain. With that angle we are getting about 22'' of travel which makes the car work awesome.

BitorPerformance

Reaction
Hey well i know that the 930 cvs can be run at 29 deg. comfortly , but anythig higher than that you push the limit i think after 32 deg they fallout . if the 934 cvs are taller and wider than they should hang with a little more angle ( i could be wrong on that) we have always run 930's at that angle without any trouble

SpeedRacer

Reaction
BoP,
How much horsepower are you putting to the 930 CV's at 29 degrees? As you add horsepower I think it is prudent to limit the 930 CV angle to 26 to 28 degrees.

SR

BitorPerformance

Reaction
well when we had the 5 16 what ever the majors motor could dish but also the ridiculous beating they got from being on a limited suspension car, and now on our 2/1600 car it is about the same angle with micro stubs, although i am pretty sure that 934 cvs are the way to go on anything bigger than a 2.0ltr

DG_BTI

Reaction
Our 5 speed shifter works on Mendeolas transmission. We have a new 4 and 5 speed that are very trick, they are programed and ready to go but we are so busy that they wont see a machine until later this summer.

Robert Mason

Reaction
I wouldnt suggest running the 930 cvs at 29 degrees unless you dont mind taking them apart and checking on them all the time. I put a set of fully polished 930's at 29 degrees and it didnt take long before they were shot. The guys and Kartek say that you can do it but if you want them to last that you shouldnt go any more than 26.