Building a Ranger - Help

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
I have decided to go over to the Dark Side, get away from Toyota, and build a 4.0 Ranger to race in VORRA next year.
I am looking to buy a 97 or older, either a salvaged one, or a cheap one with high milage in a few weeks. What specific things should I be looking for in a Ford Ranger? Best years? Is a 4x4 frame different than a 2wd frame? What year did they start offering a 4.0? Is there a desireable automatic transmission from a specif year? Is one years 4.0 better than other years?Think that about covers it. Thanks......

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
I don't want this post to be centered around "reasons not to run a ranger". Dollar for dollar, rangers seem to be more bang for your buck as far as a racetruck is concerned. Also, I just bought a house in the Bay Area, and its really expensive, so I am on a budget. Again, thanks........

singlehanded

Reaction
well what class are you gonna race in whats the rules? whats the budget just to build complete truck?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

GMS739

Reaction
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN THE FRAMES 2WD HAS A NARROW ENGINE CROSS MEMBER AND 4WD HAS A WIDER ONE. THE 4.O CAME OUT IN THE 90' YOU ARE BETTER OF WITH SOME THING NEWER SAY FROM 95-UP. I RUN A STOCK 4.O IN MY RANGER AND MINE IS 4WD WITH A C-4 WITH A MANUAL VALVE BODY AND I JUST CHANGE OIL AFTER EACH RACE YOU JUST NEED A GOOD TRANS COOLER LIKE THE FLUIDYNE ENDURO COOLER. I HAVE RACE LAST YEAR IN MDR AND RACED THE SANFELIPE AND THE BAJA 1000 LAST YEAR WITH SAME TRANS AND ITS STILL HOLDING UP REAL GOOD.

MEXICAN RACER
GONZALEZ MOTORSPORTS
7S MDR739

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Thanks ED732.
How big a difference in strength between the 2wd and 4wd frame?
It will be a 7 open truck. Equal length beams up front, and linked in the rear.
My budget will be around 25K.

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Can you eliminate the obd2 on 95 and newer rangers?

PM'd to me:
for some reason i cant post yet on the board, but 95 a newer ranger are obd2 in turns means you have to run 2 o2 sensors one before the cat and one after or it will run like crap
the white ranger on newlines page was a 4x4 and converted to 2x4, the engince crossmember is wider for the 4x4 beams,somepost on here nester said he liked the 4x4 cause it gave more room to work
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar40123.htm some info on what ford did with the 4.0 over the years
myself if i had a choice of a year of ranger i`d look for a 93-94, newer cab style and not all the computer bullshit compared to obd2
if its going to be for race only auto of chocie i think would be the c-4 3 speed and pretty bomb proof compared to the newer od transmission`s.......but the od`s can be built but about 2000 a wack, but they are slip yoke o nly so if you lose a drive shaft snap a u joint etc all the fluid going pour out, c-4 can be built for a bolt on yoke

drtdevil93

Reaction
not sure, but i believe if you have one with obd2, motec fuel injection works with it. ive heard other stand-alone EFI systems wont work on the rangers.

erik

GMS739

Reaction
I RUN THE FACTORY HARNESS I DISCONNECTED WHAT I DIDNT NEED AND IT RUNS FINE I JUST RUN WHAT IT NEED LIKE COOLANT SENSOR AIR TEMP MAF CRANK SENSOR AND IT WORK GOOD.YOU CAN RUN ELECTROMOTIVE AND DIAL IT IN WITH A LAP TOP.THERE IS NO DIFRENCE IN STRENGHT BUT IF IT GOING TO BE 7 OPEN GO WITH A2WD EX CAB MORE TO WORK WITH.

MEXICAN RACER
GONZALEZ MOTORSPORTS
7S MDR739