Foxstang89

Reaction
Hello my name is Nathan and im going to come upon a 1975 vw bug and I want to change it to a Baja bug. Other then changing the fenders and body panels what else would I need to do/change if I want this bug for dune play as well as trails both dirt and mountain?

Reaction
Howdy, Nate!

Do you plan to keep it as a street driven vehicle as well?

What condition are the fenders, etc.?,

With just a Baja kit, some larger rear tires and custom exhaust, you can go almost anywhere, once you learn how.

You should check out Class 11 sedans and body lifts, too.

Project Baja: Class 11 Build log

3 inch steel 16-9800 type 1 body lift kit for VW Volkswagen Standard Beetle Bug more tire and ground clearance. This kit includes longer pan bolts, spacers and predrilled steel square tubing.

For much dune play, you'll need a lot more power and tire, and that equals $$$.

Good luck and have fun!

Foxstang89

Reaction
I would like to try to keep is a little street drivable and honestly I mainly want to be able to take it out up in the mountains on trails or just dirt trails in general I don't need the dunes too much. And the body and fenders are all in pretty good condition I plan on swapping out for baja fenders and all that and I want to go to 30×9.5R15 tires or something close. What suspension should I use for this application. The motor has been bored and I have a stroker kit to put in it. What other upgrades or parts do you think I would want/need?

Reaction
I suggested a body lift as it offers many of the same benefits as Baja kit, and doesn't require cutting the front and back off a good body.

For the front end, I'd suggest you cut and turn the front beam, and a good pair of shocks, like Bilstein. I'd also say don't put too big a front tire on, a 7.00 x 15 ribbed truck tire would be plenty. Probably a good idea to replace all four ball joints right off.

For the rear suspension, you could increase the preload on the torsion bars or, preferably, replace the stockers with thicker ones. Again, get a good pair of shocks. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 31.50 x 15 rear tire with stock gearing. Seems a lot of Class 11's are running 235/75x15.

Get a quality air filter, and high clearance exhaust.

A transmission strap kit is a must, but solid mounts will make the car more off road than on, IMHO.

Think about a skid plate and a full flow oil system with a remote cooler/filter in addition to the stock doghouse oil cooler.

You may not know all these terms yet, but you will. ;)

y2kbaja

Reaction
A VW Baja will go anywhere. Swap the shocks, eventually turn the centers on the beam and keep upgrading from there. There is no limits to baja bugs.

Reaction
"Kill Your Backs?" I gave up on 'em in the '70's.

Reaction
i guess he should put 4in kings on then,right?

When did you become a KING dealer?

No, I think a set of Good Old Yellars* would be jes' fine, but them thar Sears Roadhandlers jes' do' cut it.

And the KYBs always seemed to pack up or pump up on my swing armed Baja.

* 'cuz ya kaint get the green ones no more. ;)