• Forum membership has its advantages....

Building my own fiberglass body ...over my steel cab

Decided to take on this project before the night race. If you have seen my truck its quite wide, I built my own kit when I was 19. Since it was my first one ever I didnt really take my new hubs, brakes, ect. into the equation and now my trackwidth sits at 88 inches. The only two front clips available for my tacoma(besides the link one which im not really a fan of) only cover half my tire so I decided to make my own. because the clip has to be so wide I cant really run a regular quarter pannel so I would have to draw it back onto the cab like the ranger clip from perrys. When I was coming up with the design in my head I thought why just end it at the door? Why not flow it all the way back into the bedsides? Ive never really done fiberglass before but I tend to learn by just diving head first into the deep end. After all my race truck was the first ever truck I built, and If i can build an entire race truck I can probably make something out of fiberglass right? I did skip through a book about building fiberglass hotrod bodies I got from the library, watched a couple vids on youtube, and picked my bosses brain who is a mechanical engineer and built his senior project sae formula car out of carbon fiber, he also took the composites course at ceritos college. So after a night of brainstorming I started the project.

Here we go...

I started by determining that I need the clip to be 6" wider than my perrys one, So I Used 1" thick polystyrene to hold the shape of the wheel well and also to create a box against my cab to hold the 2lb. density self expanding polyurethane foam.

the foam wont stick to foil or other slick surfaces

Here is the channel I am building into the body, mainly so I still have access to my door handle. I will also cut the front and rear open to draw in air, which I will make a duct that flows into my transmission and oil coolers.

here is the final piece of polystyrene which creates the box in which i will pour the liquid self expanding foam into

Time to pour foam!

I got my foam from aeromarine products in san diego. I highly recommend going though them. I recieved it next day where other companies said 5-7 business days, plus they were really cool to talk to and were stoked on my project. Their website is: AeroMarine Products - Epoxy Resin, Urethane Foam, Silicone Mold Making Rubber

1(877)342-8860
AeroMarine Products, Inc.
4128 Napier St.
San Diego, CA 92110

I used what everyone uses for this type of project, 2lb. density polyurethane self expanding foam. It comes in two parts, just mix part A and part B in a 50-50 ratio, stir, and your ready to rock.

They werent kidding when they said it can expand up to 30 times its size!

After I removed the polystyrene and did round one of shaping, mostly just trimming off the excess

rich1

I am curious, I like your attitude of jumping in. I am the same way, learn by doing (after research, of coarse.) How do you plan on opening the door? Am I missing something? Seems like the door will bind at the hinges.

mcheck

STEEEKERS!!
I am curious, I like your attitude of jumping in. I am the same way, learn by doing (after research, of coarse.) How do you plan on opening the door? Am I missing something? Seems like the door will bind at the hinges.
thats what i was thinking...unless hes going to keep the doors shut?
This truck is my DD of course im planning on having functional doors! They will still be able be able to open, just like how the perrys ranger clip works:

looks good so far!

philofab