built motor(pics!)

bryce1988

Reaction
ok ima start by saying i dont know much about this motor. or even modified 350's in general.
this is the story on it, supposedly it ran "strong", then the 73 vette it was in was rear-ended. it was pulled and has been stored for "x" amount of time. it has a moroso oil pan, edelbrock intake man, also has been "balance and blueprinted" head and crank, and thats about all i know. the guy said it was "built".
what im looking for is any input as to what may be done to it that u can tell from the pics. its a friend of a friend of a friend. he said its worth a lot more then 500(what hes asking). i didnt have time to pull off the heads but the crank spun freely without any bind. tell me what u think.

Wild bill

Reaction
I wouldn't trust it after looking at the lifter valley. Those lifters look really rusty.

giannini

Reaction
Yea watch out man. that thing looks like it sat without a intake out in the weather for a long time. The intake runners on the heads are all full of rust also. I would pass on that deal.

diirk

Reaction
Offer a hundy and use it for parts...

john92223

Reaction
I have to agree with the other comments. Silicone around freeze plugs and lifter galley plugs. And if it was a built motor it would have roller rockers and not stock rockers arms.

Sparky

Reaction
Based on the condition of the lifter valley and the intake ports, it isn't worth anywhere near $500. You would need to assume that it needs a full rebuild. It has decent heads on it (probably need rebuild too though). Based on the silicone on the freeze plugs I would say the rebuilder was more of a hack than an engine builder. Also looks like someone just took a can of Krylon to it to make it look better - looks like a lot of dirt under that paint.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Most of the parts on there were good for thier day but things have progressed a little since then. A ZZ4 crate motor would probably put it to shame even if it was in new condition.

bryce1988

Reaction
im tryin to get a decent motor power and dependability wise, but also keep costs down. my plans for my build is as follows, 97 single cab ranger, 8" over beams, g50's, trussed 9", 33"s, bumper to bumper cage, etc.

so if you race dez peeps got a sbc thats a legitimate platform to start from or even a complete motor please PM me.

Tipracer

Reaction
orange paint on springs??? Looks like someone tried to clean a pigs ear...save your money and buy a crate motor, or even a junkyard navigator motor....will last you way longer than this....plus new motors give you more options aftermarket wise....good luck

Sparky

Reaction
Why are you stuck on Chevy power? Just go get a junkyard 5.0 from a Mustang or Explorer. If you are really stuck on a SBC, I know someone that is looking to dump a 5.7 Vortec from a late model Escalade, complete with harness and computer. Drop me a PM if interested.

bryce1988

Reaction
im actually looking to go with a carbureted motor, and im trying to keep my budget under 1000. i already have a 77 suburban with a 350 in it and a 350 trans. should i say eff it and pull that motor and use it as a start?

glamisrnr

Reaction
Yeah or just dig around in the scrap/ junk yards usually you can get stuff pretty cheap outta the scrap yard.