• Forum membership has its advantages....

Bump Stop cans

Flea

Anybody know the diameter for sway-a-way bumpstops. I am going to make some bumpstop cans out of cromoly tubing. they look pretty simple to make. I don't have my bumpstops yet so I cannot measure them. Would they have the diameter listed on there website? Any ideas on what wall thickness to use. I was thinkinking .095 would be sufficient.

thanx

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and hopefully my poor truck too.

fishd00d

What A Joke
I had to make a part of my can for my bump stops and I made it out of 2 1/4" .120 chromeoly and they work great!

Go Big Or Go Home

Flea

cool thanks guys i went to aircraft spruce and picked up a few feet of 2 1/4" .120 wall cromoly. Is that stuff usually 9 dollars a foot!!! Is there anywhere else that sells cromoly cheaper, but in less than 20 foot lengths. I can only fit 9 foot lengths in my volvo station wagon. I bought 40 feet of 1 1/2" cromoly there a few months ago and it was 4 dollars a foot. Is that a good price?

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and hopefully my poor truck too.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Yes $4 is the average price for 1 1/2". $9 is about right since its almost double the 1 1/2".

Go Big Or Go Home

wrightracing.net

Aircraft spruce is high but that is because you are not buying in larger amounts. I got a couple feet of 4130 2.250 X .120 for test prototypes. For rollcages Cal metal sells in 18-20 sections for $5.30 or close to that for 4130.

I have made two bump stop cans with a chop saw and it tured out OK. I want to make some more but I think I am going to buy a vertical mill to make the next set. I am starting to do more fab work for people and I want to do top quality work the first time. I think the mill would be a good investment but I have never used one. I understand the concept and operation just never used one before.

Has anyone else made them and how are you cutting the tubing. I was thinking a band saw might but a mill would be more accurate? What do you think?

FABRICATOR

If you are talking about slitting the tube, nothing beats "sawing" them on a mill. The problem with sawing them with a saw, is that a blade width does not always leave enough of a gap, so you need to cut twice. But there are ways to reduce the cuts to so short that it does'nt matter much anyway.

The best way to shorten the slitting process, lighten the assembly, and make things look blingy, is to cut in twice on a straight line with a 1.50"-1.75" hole saw. Then carefully cut out everything between the holes with a mill or hack saw. Finsh the edge by filing or grinding, and you can have a large, smooth, perfect oval. This can be done before the slitting operation. That way there are only two short cuts to make.

Cutting the top end of the tube at an angle offers additional shortening of the slitting distance, lightening the assembly, and making things look blingy.

Time and work can be saved by putting the pinch system in place before slitting the tube, then slit through those and the tube at the same time. This way you make half as many pieces, alignment is already done, and there is less distortion to the tube. (Recommend re-drilling and facing afterward as pinching will tilt the pieces some, also check bore for high spots).

With this you can make mounts that work and look as good as anyone's with very little equipment. I'll try to get a picture of some made this way.

Jerry Zaiden

Or you can just buy the airbump cans pre made with all the work and hardware included for only $35.00.

Camburg Air Bump cans are available at Kartek, McKenzies, Race Ready Products, Baja Concepts, and all other high end off road shops.

wrightracing.net

Well that's no fun. I also am starting my own fab shop and want to learn all I can when it comes to making parts. And camburg does make some great stuff, you set the bar high but that's gives me a goal I want to be like mike, ha ha:D

FABRICATOR

Nice can Jerry, and $35 ain't bad. But if you got the stuff and are making more than one, it can go very quick. This one is all 4130 and does not have the angled cut on top. The oval cut-out was done with a 1.75" hole saw. (Never mind the mock-up bolts, rust, and the secret-proprietary-thinwall-oval support tube.:))

Attachments

ntsqd

One trick I've learned for making wide cuts with a hacksaw is to put two blades on the saw frame. It's crude but effective.

85yota

I recently made some and actually put 2 sawzall blades together to make the cut and used an 1.75" holesaw like mentioned above.

Or you can just buy the airbump cans pre made with all the work and hardware included for only $35.00.

Camburg Air Bump cans are available at Kartek, McKenzies, Race Ready Products, Baja Concepts, and all other high end off road shops.

i dont know jerry, these ones look a little nicer.........lol jajaja

Attachments