• Forum membership has its advantages....

Burleson class 1

fastfelix

Seen in classifieds the burleson class one car. What’s your thoughts on design? Looks pretty different

partybarge_pilot

J Burleson

I think it’s absolutely RAD!! But I may be a bit biased though lol. The basic idea has been done a few times for sure(I own a circa 2000 Bunderson single seater that is a different variation) It’s kinda of hard at this point to have a completely new original design! My goal with this chassis was NOT to reinvent the wheel, just to reconfigure it. The layout is as simple as it gets, without a single “custom” part on it. Every main component is an “off the shelf” part. I worked with Zac Johnson on this design and we put a ton of time into what we feel will be a dominant race car! This is a big block IRS TT minus 3 inches of rear wheel travel. If you’re interested in giving EVERYONE in cl1 a run for their money(or running an IRS TT), give me a call! I’ll also be at tech at the 400 “hocking my wares” You can also check out some of the chassis on my IG @burlesondesigns. Thanks!!

Last edited:

BajaFand

I think it’s absolutely RAD!! But I may be a bit biased though lol. The basic idea has been done a few times for sure(I own a circa 2000 Bunderson single seater that is a different variation) It’s kinda of hard at this point to have a completely new original design! My goal with this chassis was NOT to reinvent the wheel, just to reconfigure it. The layout is as simple as it gets, without a single “custom” part on it. Every main component is an “off the shelf” part. I worked with Zac Johnson on this design and we put a ton of time into what we feel will be a dominant race car! This is a big block IRS TT minus 3 inches of rear wheel travel. If you’re interested in giving EVERYONE in cl1 a run for their money(or running an IRS TT), give me a call! I’ll also be at tech at the 400 “hocking my wares” You can also check out some of the chassis on my IG @burlesondesigns. Thanks!!
Is that the old Jim Price car?

zjohnson

Not the Old Jim Price single seater, although that did had some influence on the design of this vehicle, along with the Castex raceco and scalzo/sproule aceco truggies. We wanted to go outside the traitional box of class 1/TT and use some of the components that are now available and have proven themselves over time. Shock technology has come a long ways recently so we reconfigured the front suspension to allow the bypass more control of the suspension. Hub packages are new to market but will allow one of the longest axles seen on a car with the use of the chosen diff. Front engine and trans was chosen for simplicity, and to allow dual spares, larger fuel cell and to put weight at the ends of the car for higher polar moments.
Our goal is still to see someone with the skills and abilities run it as a TT with a body and give the TT's a run for their money with the added agility of IRS. If you really want to do something special run the new mason trans in this truck and have the proper gearing to go as fast you want to with a Big Block to get it done. This vehicle isn't being built for the guy who wants to race the same truck as Rob, Andy, Bryce, BJ, Voss or Robby. In this competitive racing environment you can't race the same equipment as these guys and think you are going to win without some other advantage. This can be your advantage. Can't wait to see it drive and get feedback from those who drive it.

J Burleson

yes, the Bunderson is Jim's old car. I bought the car because I was always intrigued with the front mid engine layout in a buggy. Although, my new chassis and the Bunderson don't really have much in common other than the front mid engine placement, IRS and 4 wheels!. Zac articulated on the new chassis much better! Perhaps I should have waited to respond until I didnt have my 2 little kids climbing all over me LOL

PeteRock

I have designed a few variations of this setup over the years, inspired by the single seat, mid-engine car I saw in Barstow built by Nathan Ellis. Of course never built any of the designs.
I can't wait till you guys get this thing finished, I have high hopes for the car and I am rooting for you guys!

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

So it's a car that dominates Class 1 and maybe even kick all the fast guys butts in TT, but it has never been built and doesn't exist?

J BomBer

Basically what pflueger tried doing a while back?
52335A86-8D5D-4F96-96F8-CC2FA8690692.jpeg

J Burleson

Bro Gill, you never disappoint with your positive input and always wise comments! The first chassis is done, just waiting on a committed team that wants to try something different. When designing something, anything really, you take the time to come up with the best version of whatever that is. We believe, as has been the feed back from those who were consulted on this design, that we have designed a dominant chassis. If we were aiming for anything less, we would have been wasting our time. We are not naive to the fact that until proven in the desert any one car is just a really expensive paper weight. Development is what sets cars apart. Luckily, for all of who love this sport, a lot of builders didnt listen to the negative Nancy's about what to build or not to build. We've got some other exciting stuff in the works too so stayed tuned!

And THANK YOU to guys like Pete Rock who are excited to see some new equipment in the desert!

The Pflueger truck is mid engine A-arm rear. Similar rear diff, but otherwise very different.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Is this it?
  • <p>One of the mutant vehicles at Burning Man 2019, the largest outdoor arts festival in North America, in the Black Rock desert of Gerlach, Nevada.</p>

;)

jon coleman

Thats IT!, instead of a nerf bumper for unruly obstacles, it comes w- a scope mounted .44 mag. edit; after looking closer at pic its nice that chase& pit crew members get to also ride in race car too....

Last edited: