Busa powered 4 seat sand rail

JTSAuto

Reaction
Hey guys, New to the forums for posting been lurking for awhile lol. I recently acquired a 4 seat sand rail powered by a busa engine. Looks like the rail was originally made by sonic sand cars which from what I've seen had a checkered past possibly. I live in Central MI and frequent Silver Lake a lot. The issue I'm having is I lost 2nd gear after this past weekend of playing and after some research seen its pretty common on these hayabusa trannys. I have done tons of looking but unfortunately haven't gotten any solid answers so I figured best to just post and ask some experts. I see these setups are typically in single/dual seat rails. My issue is do I spend the $700+ and then shipping cost and time tearing motor down and getting race cut gears to prevent the slipping in future trips or spend the money on a 2D. I'm worried the weight is going to be a constant issue and I will keep breaking trannys seeing how when fully loaded I may be upwards of 1500lbs over what that setup on a motorcycle was designed to run. Other issue is if I do upgrade to a 2D what am I good til. I see what is recommended for weight and power on different charts. Realistically mid 300-low 400hp is what i plan on either a turbo K series or EJ25 or even a stock 5.3 just because they are cheap and easy to come by. Biggest issue is I read so many different things it seems to all contradict each other then i see plenty of LS rails running the 2D in classifieds. Any input would be great I was super excited to go from a truck to an actual rail but trying to figure out where to go next i swear is giving me anxiety lmao.

Attachments

• rail2.jpg
    rail2.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 0
  • rail3.jpg
    rail3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • sandrail.jpg
    sandrail.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
There are plenty of options for bullet proofing those trannys.

I would not put a 2D and a Subi motor in, that frame is not built for that much wieght.

Does your car have a FNR box or chain drive spool? You can get deeper gearing with a RPM FNR box that will lower the stress on the trans.

JTSAuto

Reaction
I do not have a FNR box it’s chain drive still, if I added full size motor/transmission I would beef up frame. My friend was prior owner, we already stretched it 10” our shop has a full metal fan setup. He upgraded to a turbo Honda setup with a md4e. Kinda the thought pattern behind wanting to upgrade motor as well lol not a fan of him passing me by so much or turbo 1000 rzr’s. I think for now I will be sending my transmission out to jay at MRE in Florida to get built this winter. Then I will try some bolt ons and run it for a season to see if I like it as is or need to go bigger. As far as the ride quality it’s great runs over whoops great and haven’t had it long enough to really get a great feel for it with it being fully functional. Added for fun is video of my buddy in his new rail and me in my at silver lake. It may have been a lil closer if I didn’t have to shift from 1st -3rd being 2nd was gone. Also I been told shift point during races is like 9k plus on those motors just have a hard time taking something that high lol