Buy the 6100 or the 1?

Shaneredline

Reaction
Looking for some advice on going with the 6100 vs class 1. I will be in Barstow next two drive both and have already found a seller with one of each. Justed wanted to see what you guys would choose and why.

We have been racing UTVs in BITD and Score. 11th in the 500, 2nd in B1K this year, 7 BITD races, best finish was 7th at Pahrump.

Have our own shop, 2 mechanics, toter, chase trucks, etc.

Not asking about maint or anything else but driving. If you get to chose, which is it, 6100 or 1 and why.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shane Redline

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
My personal opinion......

It cost just as much to go to the race in either class. Prep is close.

I have said and will continue to say that a sealed engine built by anyone without race focus for random use is a crappy way to go racing and have something fail. So for the sealed engine built by who knows who I say 6100 sucks.

BUT

1 is not as competitive as 6100 and 6100 has the opportunity, in my opinion, for more sponsors because it's a truck. Also 6100 has a lot more rear travel and would be a smoother ride.

If I had to pick I'd be in a bad place....ha ha

BrentB

Reaction
My personal opinion......

It cost just as much to go to the race in either class. Prep is close.

I have said and will continue to say that a sealed engine built by anyone without race focus for random use is a crappy way to go racing and have something fail. So for the sealed engine built by who knows who I say 6100 sucks.

BUT

1 is not as competitive as 6100 and 6100 has the opportunity, in my opinion, for more sponsors because it's a truck. Also 6100 has a lot more rear travel and would be a smoother ride.

If I had to pick I'd be in a bad place....ha ha
you know you're a buggy dork

Bdub 1020

Reaction
It takes way more seat time to go fast safely in a class 1 ( IMHO ) without wrecking when moving up classes. People that just jump in class 1 seem to tear their sheet up and hopefully don't get hurt. New 6100 guys seem to just be back markers and get stuck from what ive seen. Class 1 is fast and things happen real quick. Jumping from UTV into a class 1 is crazy ( again IMHO). I do agree with Cam the Trucks are a smoother ride and if you want financial help (sponsors) Trucks get the love. Im a buggy dork and just going from Class 10 to 1 is very challenging ask CJ Hutchins. Good luck on your choice will be rooting for ya.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
the 2 most popular and GROWING classes are BOTH spec/sealed engine classes: 10 and ttspec......and the longevity of the spec engine is DIRECTLY related to the monkey changing the "tune".....................................................................................or, listen to the salesmen......

M.Tornel Jr

Reaction
Looking for some advice on going with the 6100 vs class 1. I will be in Barstow next two drive both and have already found a seller with one of each. Justed wanted to see what you guys would choose and why.

We have been racing UTVs in BITD and Score. 11th in the 500, 2nd in B1K this year, 7 BITD races, best finish was 7th at Pahrump.

Have our own shop, 2 mechanics, toter, chase trucks, etc.

Not asking about maint or anything else but driving. If you get to chose, which is it, 6100 or 1 and why.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shane Redline
Id say race class 1! I think its so cool to qualify with TT’s, ull be racing against top guys, and you have a chance at winning an overall (it would be extremely hard but its been done at some races before) and they go faster than specs. Thats my two cents.

scracing

Reaction
For my personal/$$$ reasons I went with 6100 because I can build/prep the vehicle myself, but if I had a larger budget I would go with Class 1. I can not build engines or rebuild a class one transaxle which puts class 1 out of reach for me. Spec TT you get to buy a turn key engine that will last ME years ( miled tune) and once you buy a built TH400. They are not rocket science to rebuild.

I agree it would be cool to qualify with TT's and have a chance to take the over all win.

johnnyweb

Reaction
Class 1, there faster, you qualify, you get to rub elbows in the desert with the big dogs for overall positions.

I’m not sure but it just does not seam realistic to think a wet sump stock engine will last all the time people say. In my experience 1 season max would be all I could see from monitoring them in previous years of racing. The biggest price difference I see that would not be a close argument is the engine Race engines fresh in up twice a year IMO. Could probably IMO get 1 season out of crate motor. At least you save $ at the fiberglass and paint shop though to spend on the race engine.

There is some good deals out there for class 1 to. Arguably cheaper the 6100 to buy a used car.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

cubed

Reaction
Are CVs and a converter type transaxle in a 1 car cheaper or more expensive to maintain than a race built auto and live axle rear end in a 6100?

johnnyweb

Reaction
Are CVs and a converter type transaxle in a 1 car cheaper or more expensive to maintain than a race built auto and live axle rear end in a 6100?
Add in drive shafts costs and again weather you go by Pete’s prep schedule or Jerry’s prep schedule it it might be a wash. Time will tell for me on this one. IMO ones you have 600-800 horsepower on tap at your right foot it hard to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Add in drive shafts costs and again weather you go by Pete’s prep schedule or Jerry’s prep schedule it it might be a wash. Time will tell for me on this one. IMO ones you have 600-800 horsepower on tap at your right foot it hard to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
here is some great advice......take advice from somebody that DOESNT race either class.....WAJ...

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
i wonder why there are more than DOUBLE the entries in 6100 over class 1??? hhhhhmmmmm......why is that??

Reaction
Obvious, Pete, cooler fiberglass. ;)

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
in the last 3 years: class one went from 50 cars to 20 and 6100 went from 1 truck to 44......hhhhhmmmmm

43mod

Reaction
True Pete that Foutz guy certainly is a trendsetter. Following is so much easier .

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction

Baja Bryan

Reaction
For my personal/$$$ reasons I went with 6100 because I can build/prep the vehicle myself, but if I had a larger budget I would go with Class 1. I can not build engines or rebuild a class one transaxle which puts class 1 out of reach for me. Spec TT you get to buy a turn key engine that will last ME years ( miled tune) and once you buy a built TH400. They are not rocket science to rebuild.

I agree it would be cool to qualify with TT's and have a chance to take the over all win.
Transaxles are easy to prep once you learn how. You dont need a big motor to go fast in class 1. LS3 and upgrade the weak points and will last even longer than Spec. If you do class 1 for sure do converter. If you realistically plan to race TT some day then just do Spec. Body wise in the class 1 only thing we need to repair every race is the front bumper ;)

Samco Fab

Reaction
A legitimate question would be 6100 vs. 6200

Same engine, 6200 would be super fun and cheaper to pick up a good 10 year old Class 1 car and convert it. They better run good oiling , I blew up a backward facing LS motor due to oiling.

6200 does have CV's...ugh, but they should be faster than 6100 and last a while for prep due to limited power.

How many people are converting old 1 cars to a 6200?