• Forum membership has its advantages....

Buying A TIG welder.(need advice)

DezerBlingMoto

Asking for a little help from the weld journey men on RDZ.I wanna try to learn how to TIG what is a good machine to purchase for a beginner to use but set in not toping out my machine capabilities with skill in time.(Don't wanna purchase something to small to later come across I cant weld that thick or so forth). thanks in advance I have been reading , brain storming on brands etc etc but would like to hear from a fellow member of the desert scene. Budget ,......... I would like to keep it under the 2K range

thxs again
-Ray

harleys dad

Asking for a little help from the weld journey men on RDZ.I wanna try to learn how to TIG what is a good machine to purchase for a beginner to use but set in not toping out my machine capabilities with skill in time.(Don't wanna purchase something to small to later come across I cant weld that thick or so forth). thanks in advance I have been reading , brain storming on brands etc etc but would like to hear from a fellow member of the desert scene. Budget ,......... I would like to keep it under the 2K range

thxs again
-Ray
I have 5 Tig welders,including a Dynasty 200 DX. I also have a everlast 200 DX that welds every bit as good as my high dollar machine. I also have a Lotos 3 in 1 machine that cost about 500 bucks that also has a plazma cutter as part of the function and it tig welds every bit as good as my high dollar Miller Dynasty. I would recommend both the everlast or the Lotos, the lotos you can find on e bay. I have had zero issues with my china built welders and they are easy to operate and weld beautiful. If I had to pick 1 of my welders as a guy that works out of my garage these days(I welded at Rohr for years) I would not pay the big money for the Miller and would settle on the everlast as it has every function my Dynasty has except the water cooled option which I dont need it but they sell it and it cost about 1/8th the cost of my dynasty with all the stuff including the cart. You can weld anything with it, aluminum stainless, steel. It comes with the pedal, torch everything you need, and a heck of a warranty, much better than the Miller has so your welder is covered for something like 5 years or so. It has been a no problem machine. Good luck

DezerBlingMoto

Thank you , Thank you !!! Thats exactly for the info I was looking for . I'm leaning into a everlast. Those come in neon green correct ?

DezerBlingMoto

Kool , how much more am I looking at (round about) for tank n is it best to run the water cool rig or will I be fine without it? Thxs again Harley's dad

harleys dad

I can tell you from experience Unless you are welding for loong periods of time which I am sure you wont be you dont have to have the water cooled kit, you can do everything you want to do with out it with out worry. The air cooled torch is a bit larger and more robust than a lot of water cooled torches, they can get warm but like I said unless your constantly on it you dont need it and learning the air cooled is more than enough! I bought my everlast machine a few years ago and I think I paid 1199 for it and it came with everything except the bottle. I own 4 very large bottles anyway, 2 Argon mixed, and 2 extra large bottles for my mig welders so I didnt have to buy the bottle and I always have a extra. I recommend you buy the largest bottle you can just because they last so long between fills. I have made my living for the last 35 years as a aerospace tig welder and I have always had more welders than I could possibly need at home lol I bought my Miller Dynasty with the water cooled set up and cart the whole shooting match was about 5 grand , After I bought my Miller I got familiar with the Everlast Machine at work and found it had all the features that my Dynasty has after the company I work for bought 10 of them that get used day in and day out 7 days a week and not 1 failure. 8 of the machines are aircooled, 2 have the water cooled. Miller lovers will try to tell you that the chines machines are junk, will fail bla bla bla. Our company is pumping out millions of dollars of product every month with them. I modified the torch on my everlast machine adapting the torch from the Harbor freight tig welder that is smaller and works fantastic. Just got to remember to turn the gas knob on LOL. Enjoy it, buy a Welding book that can help you with all kinds of info. I saw one at home depot the other day that had all the info you could need to get up and running, I looked it over for about 20 minutes and was surprised how much info it offers. Try that! Good luck and remember patience is a must, dont get in a hurry!

DezerBlingMoto

Thank you (Harleys dad) for taking time to break it down to a novice. I have several bottles so im safe from an expense on that . I was researching all over the Web and all it would show was the machine itself . So I was skeptical they sold separately every other item or what, but good to know it's a all in one package. Can I buy the torch on its own off Harbor Freight? An I will definitely buy that book at homedepot an absorb all I can . I've been watching a ton of video's on youtube an all helps . Thxs again for all the knowledge an pointer's . I will keep posted on my purchase and hopefully I can one day post up in the 'Pretty Weld" thread that would be a great accomplishment!!

T Pacheco

Which ever welder you end up with, you can always upgrade later. You do not need all the bells and whistles, especially when starting out.

Yes, a lot of patience if you are not going to take a welding class!

Like was said, water cooled is not needed unless you will be welding for long periods or will be welding thick aluminum. Welding aluminum will be another learning experience itself.
Practice and become proficient at simple fillet welds over and over before trying tube. If you don't have the means, have a shop shear a bunch of 10 gauge coupons for you, weld them as an upside down T. Make sure you grind the mill scale off were your weld will be and use a dedicated wheel on a bench grinder for sharpening your tungsten. You will be doing that a lot!

You probably found this guy on youtube already, his website is organized and full of good Info.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

DezerBlingMoto

Yeah Thanks T Pacheco, im preparing myself an refilling the tank with patience. I just want to get a welder that I can learn for a while on not top it out to quickly as I did with my MIG welders. Thank you for the pointers there much appreciated an yes I have been all over that guys site.My question is can I buy any torch set-up and adapt it to the everlast welder? That was the only negative thing I heard from the everlast 200DX , the torch was too bulky.

T Pacheco

Ray, maybe HD can chime back in on how to adapt the HF torch. I've never used any of the Chinese made machines, still using my old Lincoln Square Wave Tig 175 with a wp9 torch. The 175 does everything I need to do, I even stick weld with it once in awhile. Also, do a search on RDC for the guy named Dump, I remember him giving tig advise awhile back.

DezerBlingMoto

Ok , so I pulled the trigger on a Everlast 200DX Tig welder. I found it at sears for 1097.00 + tax for a total of =1167.32. So I was wondering if someone can give me a little shopping list im going to need other then the machine to start practicing out the gate? I have a bottle ready to get filled with Argon and a new regulator set-up. Got my mask already , gloves , welding sleeves....what kind of filler rods do I need just to mess around with steel?

T Pacheco

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig-welding-rods.html
I would find your closest welding supply store and get to know them.

There are some online stores that will sell small amounts of rod if you don't want to buy 5 or 10 pounds.
Look for the ones that sell kits for your tig torch...............cups, collets, etc. Find out which parts are compatible with your torch, maybe you'll find out why HD converted his. Also, you don't need the fancy clear Pyrex cups to start, they are expensive and break easy. You don't need a tungsten grinder either.
I've had good service with this company........https://www.arc-zone.com/

Don't use break cleaner or anything like it to clean greasy metal, the fumes are highly toxic when welding.

Keep your skin covered, the v at the bottom of your neck is prone to burns so keep it covered. If you don't like the sleeves, these Wrangler shirts work well too.
image.jpg
Use the thinnest tig gloves you can find, you need all the feel you can get.

Last but not least, don't stick your filler rod into your tungsten!!!

harleys dad

Congrats on your new machine, practice practice practice, dont get into a hurry dont get discouraged. Not going to give you a long list to buy, to get started buy 2-3 package of 332 2% thoriated x7 better known as red tungsten. You will find you can weld almost anything with it, and Being you are getting started you will burn threw tungsten very quick! I recommend you stay away from anything smaller so you dont evaporate your tungsten! In my opinion you dont need to buy a bunch of torch parts, tungsten is what you will go threw the most starting out. I recommend you go to harbor freight and buy there real small 3 inch bench grinder to sharpen your tungsten, mine works very well for that, buy a couple extra orange wheels for it because you will notch the wheels pretty deep over time. Buy a few pounds of ER70s2 tig wire. 16th or 1/8. Starting out get some plate steel 1/8 or larger and practice running a bead with NO fill wire, over and over, you will find it not so easy to start off, real important to keep the same distance from the tip of your tungsten to your work piece. Try not to touch your work piece! The hi frequency start your machine has makes it easy to start your weld. If your machine came with the pathetic operating instructions mine came with it may leave you confused, 35 years and a million miles of rod burnt on every space shuttle to Saturn 5 rockets you just about name it I was very confused because they were written by someone with out the mastery of the English language and was written that way trying to tie his language into the instructions to ours!?!? And very little instructions at that. Stay away from the AC function of your machine, that comes after you have some mastery of your weld and machine, you will continue to frustrate yourself if you try it now!! Maybe you will master it and use the skills you will learn, good luck and enjoy it!!

DezerBlingMoto

Thanks T.Pacheco- im stocked cant wait to get my machine on the 10th of this month.An then get the throwing tools around the garage cause I run out of patience lol

DezerBlingMoto

Congrats on your new machine, practice practice practice, dont get into a hurry dont get discouraged. Not going to give you a long list to buy, to get started buy 2-3 package of 332 2% thoriated x7 better known as red tungsten. You will find you can weld almost anything with it, and Being you are getting started you will burn threw tungsten very quick! I recommend you stay away from anything smaller so you dont evaporate your tungsten! In my opinion you dont need to buy a bunch of torch parts, tungsten is what you will go threw the most starting out. I recommend you go to harbor freight and buy there real small 3 inch bench grinder to sharpen your tungsten, mine works very well for that, buy a couple extra orange wheels for it because you will notch the wheels pretty deep over time. Buy a few pounds of ER70s2 tig wire. 16th or 1/8. Starting out get some plate steel 1/8 or larger and practice running a bead with NO fill wire, over and over, you will find it not so easy to start off, real important to keep the same distance from the tip of your tungsten to your work piece. Try not to touch your work piece! The hi frequency start your machine has makes it easy to start your weld. If your machine came with the pathetic operating instructions mine came with it may leave you confused, 35 years and a million miles of rod burnt on every space shuttle to Saturn 5 rockets you just about name it I was very confused because they were written by someone with out the mastery of the English language and was written that way trying to tie his language into the instructions to ours!?!? And very little instructions at that. Stay away from the AC function of your machine, that comes after you have some mastery of your weld and machine, you will continue to frustrate yourself if you try it now!! Maybe you will master it and use the skills you will learn, good luck and enjoy it!!

10-4 , thank you so much to all the help and advice. I will definitely get going as soon as I get the machine, which I just got confirmation its shipped!! :):D. I will definitely do that first with out a filler and just drop beads with only the heat correct . I'm looking forward to the challenge and practice practice!!!!!! Im a little confused on the cups is there a specific cup that works better then others? I keep seen numbers on the cups (the pink shield) I am calling them correctly aint I ?

DezerBlingMoto

Oh one last thing , what do you guys recommend for a welding table ,metal Thickness for table top?

DezerBlingMoto

well, first things first...... thanks H-D and T Pacheco for you're advice Xmas came early (sorry about the pic quality using reserve phone IP3.
photo 1.JPG
photo 5.jpg