• Forum membership has its advantages....

Buying A TIG welder.(need advice)

DezerBlingMoto

im sure not the highest quality on the chart but im happy with choice.Read a lot of good reviews. an 5 yr warranty cant beat it.

harleys dad

Looks good to me, you have a much nicer peddle than I got with mine, but it is like the ones at work. Glad your happy, now get to burnin lol Perfect set up to get your feet wet!

DezerBlingMoto

Not sure if I should post here or other section, but I've been making attempts at Tig'n (with a lot of YouTube) haha. I'm a little confused of where exactly is it that I need to make contact with the filler rod? Should I be under the tungsten or a little in front of it ......or? Here's a few runs I did with no filler an some with . Any pointers are highly appreciated.I kind of put them in order as I was practicing. Thanks in advance

Attachments

DezerBlingMoto

Forgot some detailed numbers . I have the machine at 60amps , 1/8" metal cleaned with acetone, ER70s rod 1/16"

Last edited:

Moss2

Forgot some detailed numbers . I have the machine at 60amps , 1/8" metal cleaned with acetone, ER70s rod 1/16"
For 1/8" 85 to 120 amps is what my chart recommends. Just a flat with no edges to burn requires a little more power. Find a place to rest your arms that you can move your hands comfortably through the length of the weld. If you are an energy drink user and not planting your arms it will be hard to get consistent puddles. If you lay a plate down flat on a thick table it will suck a lot of your heat out too.

DezerBlingMoto

Thank You Moss2 for the pointers. I will try those setting, my machine didn't come with anything really other then a bunch of non sense . An will give that a shot an post back hopefully with some progress.

DezerBlingMoto

well heres what im coming across on the first plate I grinded the metal and cleaned with acetone the first pic I used Rod and on the second pic the far left where it looks better lol its with out filler Rod.......amp's were at 95 and material is 1/8" : any pointer to a rookie appreciated.
Tig run 01.jpg
Tig run 2.jpg
Tig run 3.jpg
Tig run 3.jpg
tig run 4.jpg

200MPHTape

Do you have a oxy/act torch? If you do, try running some beads with it and filler, its way cheaper to learn to make beads then the tig, once you can lay a bead with the torch the tig will come around.
Try laying a piece of filler rod in the corner, then run your pass like you did with no rod.
Look for the dancing eye, that is the time to dab and move. You want to keep the end of the filler rod close so that it stays preheated.

Looking at the pics of where you added filler, you are letting it melt outside of the shielding gas, or you might need to turn up the flow rate. Make sure there is no air movement around where you are welding, all your welds are getting contaminated.

DezerBlingMoto

almost forgot here's the cart I built for my set-up.... need a few things but 80% complete
tig run 14.jpg

BuggyBrad

Looking at your pictures I would say most of your puddle issues are initially cause you are dumping the tip into it and your material needs to be cleaner.

Unlike Mig you will not get away with anything that is not really clean and I mean REALLY clean right down to felt pen ...

Some other things to look at is consistency of your hand movement, have you seen those TV shows where people play with coins and walk them up and down their fingers ... well when you are watching them put on your glove and practice walking your filler rod in and out of your fingers till you can do it without thinking.

Lastly take a deep breath and remember to breath, it is not a race and you can slow down if you need t. The pedal is your friend and don't forget to amp up when cold and keep your puddle consistent ie back off once your hot. I try to keep the filler rod inside the gas cone when not dipping. This stops it getting crap on it.

Did I mention CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN , Mig lets you get away with Dirt and CRAP, Tig will make you pay by frustrating you to the point of beating it up lol.

Apart from that you are looking better each time, your second batch is much nicer than your first batch :)

Keep it up after you have CLEANED you simply Practice helmet time is the best solution. If you can keep an eye on youTube but also if you can find someone local go and watch them with your helmet on it is always amazing to watch the good guys do it, it looks so natural :)

gcddarren

How are you liking the everlast? I am in looking at welders myself. I use a dynasty 250 all day at work so im hesitant switch. I would say watch a lot of welding tips and tricks videos on you tube. I know this is not right but the way i start to each people to weld is a row of dimes is basically a tack weld, move a little and another tack weld, and repeat. keep the puddle going, a slight pause to let it flatten and round out.

gcddarren

Also, keep an eye on the outside of the puddle, try to keep it even and in a straight line. when you come to the edge or end of the weld usually you will need to back off the heat.