Buying F-150 for family prerunner. What is the best year?

vwracin2win

Reaction
So I currently have a pretty nice 2000 Ford Ranger pre-runner but My family is getting bigger and I want something to fit the family in. I used to have an 06 F150 2wd that I loved but it was just a stock daily driver. I want to do a 4wd. My question is, should I stick with the 2004-2008 that seems to have more bolt on kits available or would I be ok if I got the 09 and up? im tempted to get the newer truck so I can find a nicer truck with less miles easier and have the 6 spd trans and 5.0 but I don't want to be backed into a corner having a hard time finding kits. It just seems like there are more options for the 04-08 unless im looking in the wrong places? thank you.

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Hey I do not know if you are still monitoring this question..but avoid the 2004 - 2008 f150!
That engine is the worst Ford ever developed. They should have been recalled and I am not sure how that never happened. They have a problem with the cam phasers that affects a large percentage of those models. My engine blew up at 100k miles on the dot. I have a replacement engine that is about to start the self destruct process at 22k miles. Read up on the 2004 - 2008 cam phaser problems and you will never buy one. Best of luck to you.

Bert is my name

Reaction
I agree with avoiding 04-08 f150 unless you plan on an engine swap. The 3 valve tritons have numerous problems. Crank oiling being one of them. These engines just stop. At idle under load. Doesn't matter. If you are looking to buy a 10 to 15 year old truck buy a Chevy. Just as many suspension options available and a Lot more engine and drivetrain support. Might spend a little more up front. But you will be money ahead in repair and maintenance expenses.

mgobaja

Reaction
If you are not against going a few years older, what about a 1996, I Beam front ends work great, the 5.8 V8 and E4OD combo are pretty reliable as well.

Bert is my name

Reaction
I agree here as well. Lots of support from the aftermarket. But if I was stuck on a arm suspension it would definitely be a Chevy due to support for the entire drivetrain. Either way it will be more cost effective and allow for faster completion of the project to go with a vehicle that is well supported. Plus the Ford's had that nasty problem of folding up the rear portion of the frame.