buying new truck emissions help needed

UndercoverFab

Reaction
i`m looking to buy a new truck before i move but i`ve seen a couple different codes on the window stickers, does anyone know what emissions code to look for so its legal in california? does it even matter which code it has, no dealer can give me a straight answer.

jeff

Reaction
If you are trying to bring in a new vehicle from outside of California you're in for a real treat. If it's got less than 7500 miles it'll be considered new and MUST be California Certified. If it's got more than 7500 miles it's considered used and all it has to do is pass the California SMOG test before you can register it. I recently bought a 2002 WRX from Texas and it had more than 7500 miles and was no problem whatsoever to SMOG and register.

My advice is if you are purchasing an out of state vehicle that is NOT California Certified is to register it in the state you purchase it and drive it until you've got more than 7500 on the odometer and then re-register it as a California vehicle. The downside is some cops will hassle you for running the out of state plate if they see it on the road every day for a few months straight - just tell em' it's a work vehicle and they usually back down.

This for the not-so-honest. You can legally bring in any vehicle that meets the federal regulation under the following conditions... your vehicle is stolen while out of state... your vehicle is so badly damaged while out of state that you had to replace it... or if you get the vehicle as part of an inheritance or divorce settlement. I call them loopholes. You could become a California resident, and then you can figure out the rest for yourself.

One more addition... you CANNOT convert a non-CALIFORNIA CERTIFIED vehicle and get it registered. And if you go with the sorta dis-honest method you need proof of some sort that verifies what you are telling the DMV is true. A repair bill, police report, etc.. works just fine.

Aloha

UndercoverFab

Reaction
thanks for the info, as it stands now the truck i bought last night has 139 miles on it, hopefully after the cross country trip and a month or two of driving it`ll have 7500 and i can register it out there.