Buying Used Shocks

1992f150

Reaction
Going to the swapmeet tomarow, and wanting to pick up some shocks for the rear of my truck. Anyone post some tips on what to look out for when buying used shocks? They will be standard racing shocks with res, not bypass or c/o's or anything.
Thanks alot.

Azusa: shame of the foothills<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 1992f150 on 06/29/02 03:29 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
Im going aswell and am curious what to look for aswell. But I am looking for bypass.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

ntsqd

Reaction
So was that you @ about 8:00am hauling one of those by-passes walking next to the guys rolling some swampers out to the parking lot ?

I saw one set of 7100's with remotes. The guy seemed pretty set on his price of $150 each when Baja Concepts sells them new for $170 each. They were very fresh, but for $40 I'll get some I know haven't been hammered. Somebody got 'em, they were gone on the next pass thru.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

1992f150

Reaction
Before this thread dissapears, can someone try to answer it please? thanks.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

frankh

Reaction
Buying used shock in a crap shoot, You do not know what in side. But I would look at the shaft for any rock ding, the hiems (sp?) and cycle it a few time and see if any oil comes out on the shaft. just your basic stuff.

orvacian

Reaction
You would normally want to check for leaks but if they were just cleaned......... I would also inspect the shafts closely for nicks, dents or scratches. If it is a monotube shock the body should not have any dents at all. If it is a gas shock it I would like to see it pressurized. Check the heims for wear. Move the shaft in and out and feel for any friction or tight/loose spots in its travel. Did I miss anything?