Bye-Bye LOORRS

y2kbaja

Reaction
No more Lucas Oil Series.

Read

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
CORONA, Calif. (November 12th, 2020) – After considerable discussion, Lucas Oil Products has made the difficult decision to discontinue its ownership and operation of the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. Since 2009, the series has served as the preeminent platform for this exciting motorsport discipline, and has been widely recognized as the world’s premier short course off road racing championship series for more than a decade. The announcement also includes the discontinuation of the Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series.

"Lucas Oil has made the decision to discontinue owning and operating both the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series and the Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series,” said Director of Race Operations, Ritchie Lewis. “This year, Lucas Oil made an incredible financial effort to keep our off road commitments to our employees, promoters, racers and sponsors, during arguably one of the roughest periods of time for our country. As we look ahead, there are too many variables that could impact the financial commitment and overall health of the series going forward, which necessitated this difficult course of action."

For the past 12 seasons, the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series has hosted a who’s who of racing’s most recognizable names, from current and future hall of famers like Rob MacCachren, Kyle LeDuc, and Carl Renezeder, to crossover stars like Brian Deegan, Jeremy McGrath, Carey Hart, and Jeff Ward. Perhaps even more significant is the series’ development of dynamic young driving talents who are poised to achieve success, no matter what they are driving. This includes budding NASCAR stars like Hailie Deegan and Sheldon Creed, along with short course off road’s ascending talents like RJ Anderson, Jerett Brooks, Brock Heger, Ryan Beat, and more.

“The Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series could never have achieved the levels of success it did without the individuals who made it all happen - out on the racetrack. The unwavering commitment from our drivers over the years has allowed Lucas Oil to invest in their talent, and we couldn’t be prouder to see all the success stories that have come out of this championship,” added Lewis. “Moreover, we owe tremendous gratitude to the companies that have lent their support to short course off road, as their partnerships were invaluable to our success. As we close this chapter, these individuals and our relationships are what we will remember.”

*All remaining National and Regional points funds and trophies will be shipped very soon.

sb4pro

Reaction
They were good while they lasted and I do thank them for everything they did for the sport but i won’t lie I’m kinda glad to see them go maybe this is a good thing towards unity for the sport .

Attachments

• E98DACA5-CC22-492A-8B51-1021C2A99E25.png
    E98DACA5-CC22-492A-8B51-1021C2A99E25.png
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 72

stephenrjking

Reaction
They were good while they lasted and I do thank them for everything they did for the sport but i won’t lie I’m kinda glad to see them go maybe this is a good thing towards unity for the sport .

I respectfully disagree. Unity is nice, but we're a niche sport and LOORRS provided a niche. Barring an unforseen takover of the series (and it's not like this is sudden, I'm not plugged in and people freely told me that the series has been for sale for over a year) this just plain means that there will be fewer trucks and drivers racing and fewer fans watching.

That's bad. Now, I might benefit if guys head up to the Midwest, but nobody is well-served by seeing quality tracks and trucks go into mothballs, some never to return. We're better off when more people race and more people watch the races.

sb4pro

Reaction
I respectfully disagree. Unity is nice, but we're a niche sport and LOORRS provided a niche. Barring an unforseen takover of the series (and it's not like this is sudden, I'm not plugged in and people freely told me that the series has been for sale for over a year) this just plain means that there will be fewer trucks and drivers racing and fewer fans watching.

That's bad. Now, I might benefit if guys head up to the Midwest, but nobody is well-served by seeing quality tracks and trucks go into mothballs, some never to return. We're better off when more people race and more people watch the races.
I meant it just that way all these west coast tracks have no one to race for them maybe now that there’s only one sanctioning body COR can fill that niche . Sorry if I didn’t word it right . I meant it as now we can have 1 racing group . Like when there was the irl cart split then they ended up becoming one again .

Pintagraphy

Reaction
Who ever comes in better have reasonable entry fees and listen to the racers. If they don't have a regional series and their entry fees are high, they are going to lose a lot of incoming racers

stephenrjking

Reaction
I meant it just that way all these west coast tracks have no one to race for them maybe now that there’s only one sanctioning body COR can fill that niche . Sorry if I didn’t word it right . I meant it as now we can have 1 racing group . Like when there was the irl cart split then they ended up becoming one again .
IRL and CART did come back together again after both series were a shadow of their former selves.

I'd be happy with more of a national organization, but it appears that COR isn't ready for that kind of expansion. It's not clear that there is anybody that can fill the void LOORRS leaves. If there were, we'd have known it by now.

In a real way, it's the end of an era.

Pro4orNothing

Reaction
Thank you to Lucas for everything they’ve done for the sport over the years. Hope they stay involved at the team level, somehow.

That said, the writing seemed to be on the wall for a couple of years...dwindling truck counts, loss of bigger sponsors in the last year or two, Pro4 leaving the West Cosst altogether. Hate it for the racers out there who no longer have a “home” to race short course in. Not sure if its too late for someone to come in and “save” the series for this year, or if its up to when COR is ready to expand its footprint in some fashion.

A lot of the west coast guys have desert programs that I’m willing to bet they focus on in the short term. Hopefully the short course only guys like Brooks, Beat, RJ, Mamer, and others can find the funding to race full time in the midwest next summer.

az_amsoil

Reaction
If SST was looking for reason to expand out of the current format (pavement undercard for formula one); this could be the time to get back into the dirt. IMO short course needs to go back and start grass roots again. "Taking over" a series and dumping a ton of $$ into what I've now seen as three failed attempts (CORR, TORC & LOORS) feels like a bad business model.

Sad to see it go, but also not surprised.

class5cole

Reaction
If SST was looking for reason to expand out of the current format (pavement undercard for formula one); this could be the time to get back into the dirt. IMO short course needs to go back and start grass roots again. "Taking over" a series and dumping a ton of $$ into what I've now seen as three failed attempts (CORR, TORC & LOORS) feels like a bad business model.

Excellent point. Sitting here at my desk, thinking who would have the man power to take it over. 600ft Speed Energy banners, El Diablo pace cars. Whatever he wants

A unified National series would be great too but regionals NEED to happen. The common man could race one weekend and spectate the next. Fantastic formula in my humble opinion.

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
Reaction
This is very sad news ,and has been on my mind for a long time, reality is, know one's stepping up right now the world is on pause. The amount of loot and effort it takes to start a new series at a time when the popularity of our sport is at a all time low.
Lucas came in at a time when west coast short coarse needed saving very badly and they did a great job spending huge dollars building tracks and securing tv deals, landing corporate partners and so on. I thank them for that. The regional series was and is a must as a feeder for the pro show, I commend them for all of it. Thank you.

Where they fell short was the pay outs, First place in any of the pro classes needed to be $25k and decent pay back for the top 5
Entry fees were also quite high compared to other motorsports ive been involved in over the last 40 years

Once a series is put together and you have a venue then you need racers to put on the show...sounds simple right well without the racers there is no show. We all saw the numbers in p2/p4/pl falling off over the years and the inevitable has happened

thoughts and prayers

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
Reaction
This is very sad news ,and has been on my mind for a long time, reality is, know one's stepping up right now the world is on pause. The amount of loot and effort it takes to start a new series at a time when the popularity of our sport is at a all time low.
Lucas came in at a time when west coast short coarse needed saving very badly and they did a great job spending huge dollars building tracks and securing tv deals, landing corporate partners and so on. I thank them for that. The regional series was and is a must as a feeder for the pro show, I commend them for all of it. Thank you.

Where they fell short was the pay outs, First place in any of the pro classes needed to be $25k and decent pay back for the top 5
Entry fees were also quite high compared to other motorsports ive been involved in over the last 40 years

Once a series is put together and you have a venue then you need racers to put on the show...sounds simple right well without the racers there is no show. We all saw the numbers in p2/p4/pl falling off over the years and the inevitable has happened

thoughts and prayers

ltr450rider

Reaction
It's a bummer to lose the west coast races, but we all saw the writing on the wall starting 2 years ago. Hopefully we get some action out here again. I think there is a pretty big fan base out here that like to attend these races in person.

So, now it's time to have some fun and post our opinions on what we think the best solution for a nationally based series going forward would be.

I would like to see a truly "National" Pro series, with no less than 8 events per season running 2 races per weekend, making for a 16 round championship series. Tracks I would like to see run would be: (order based on local whether patterns?)

Phoenix/Chandler (March)
Glen Helen (April)
ERX (May)
Bark River/or the new WI track (June)
New Venue, maybe in the southeast? (July)
Crandon (Labor Day weekend)
Lucas Oil/Wheatland (If it will still be available to race on, great facility and event) (Late September)
Las Vegas (October)

I would like to see the following classes run the pro events:

Pro4 (Keep unlimited, no DOT tires, open N/A engine and drivetrain)
Pro2 (I am ok with the midwest "spec" rules, it did seem to help with putting more trucks on track)
Pro-Lite (I would like to see a sealed V6 engine for these, and allow the older trucks with smaller tubes to run with modifications for safety)
Pro-Buggy
Pro-UTV (turbo only)
Pro-Kart class for kids 14 and under

I have never liked having two National/Pro events at any one facility in the same season, I have never liked that with NASCAR. I would rather see a pro event running a different type of track as much as possible. But I do understand the reasoning to bring in fans and have the facility make money on 2 weekends.

Regional/Sportsman series, I would like to see two, if not three regional series, but run on separate weekends from the pro events. I know some here will disagree with this, but I think it's just too much work for the event organizers to put on 179 different practice, qualifying, and race sessions in 3 days. Let the pro's run the National weekends, and put on 2 or 3 events per year at the regional tracks for the sportsman guys.

cofferjl

Reaction
With sponsorship dollars drying up across all forms of motorsports, unfortunately I think this is only the beginning. I don't think that there is enough funding for a National series at this point. I think that the best that could have been hoped for was a Midwest/West division style with a championship round at a track like Lucas that was somewhat in the middle.

To be successful I think that you need the following.

I think that you must have the Regional/Sportsman series on the same weekends for the following reasons.
-It allows sportsman classes to be in a better position as far as being a feeder system for the Pro classes through facilitating the social contacts and camaraderie between the two. Separating the Pro and Sportsman classes further divides an already small community.
-It brings in more spectators all around. The sportsman classes bring family and friends that may not otherwise attend a race. The pro classes bring in spectators that may like short course enough to eventually enter as a driver in an affordable class.
-Its easier to schedule the logistics for fewer events than more events. It also allows you to be more consistent in scheduling from year to year.

As far as time constraints because of all the races that would have to be run I would handle it this way.
-Limit some of the different classes. CHAMP off road is planning to run 4 different UTV classes and 2 different kart classes in 2021, a Sportsman SXS, ProAm SxS, Pro Stock SXS, and Pro Mod SXS, MORR short course kart, and MORR MOD kart. No offense to any of these racers but my question is, WHY? It seems like a lot of redundancy because minor rule changes, and those 6 classes could be combined to 3 by doing things like adding weight or putting limits in key areas
-Eliminate Pro practice. If you are in a Pro class I would think that you should be able to afford to rent the race facility on days that aren't race weekends.
-Have one mandatory practice day at the beginning of the season for all sportsman racers so that they are familiar with the race control procedure, if you are not there you don't race that season unless you have raced in previous seasons.
-Friday night Pro qualifying, Saturday Sportsman races, Sunday Pro races.

These are just my opinions but I believe that the keys to success will be consistency in rules, classes, event dates, and building tradition and community.

What has made Labor Day at Crandon successful is that it is NOT a race it is an "Event" that has tradition, consistency, and community.
Just my opinion.

putorkdforbaskat

Reaction
This is so sad! GRC, TORC and LOORRS were my favorite championships ever! Now they are all gone. Hope Championship Off Road (can we call it COR already?) can attract some of the teams and have a west coast race someday.

dbq61537

Reaction

Good points az.

While I agree, short course needs to get back to basics...

I disagree on Speed/RG, filling the void.

The new COR series, in the Midwest, is a throw back, of sorts. The powers in charge, went back to the future...much like when they revolutionized, SnoCross and SnowMobile racing. Fans first, give them: action, racing, a more intimate environment, and they could watch it for free...live!!!! Lucas had us paying for an app.

But why would RG, take Speed, to the middle of nowhere? Robby wants the Speed series, in front of large grandstands, in an urban environment. This way he can get the sponsors, in front of big city media outlets. The Big City Media networks...don’t want to go out to the middle of nowhere...which is where most of the Short Course events are.

People would knock the Rte66 Joliet events, for multiple reason. Not limited to: bad track layout, sudpar food options, an environment that seemed to corporate, etc... But the media could find it, and get to the event...if they wanted to come...or even knew it was happening. Which I blame on, the bad promotion, by those sanctioning bodies.

mpinto

Reaction
Good points az.

While I agree, short course needs to get back to basics...

I disagree on Speed/RG, filling the void.

The new COR series, in the Midwest, is a throw back, of sorts. The powers in charge, went back to the future...much like when they revolutionized, SnoCross and SnowMobile racing. Fans first, give them: action, racing, a more intimate environment, and they could watch it for free...live!!!! Lucas had us paying for an app.

But why would RG, take Speed, to the middle of nowhere? Robby wants the Speed series, in front of large grandstands, in an urban environment. This way he can get the sponsors, in front of big city media outlets. The Big City Media networks...don’t want to go out to the middle of nowhere...which is where most of the Short Course events are.

People would knock the Rte66 Joliet events, for multiple reason. Not limited to: bad track layout, sudpar food options, an environment that seemed to corporate, etc... But the media could find it, and get to the event...if they wanted to come...or even knew it was happening. Which I blame on, the bad promotion, by those sanctioning bodies.

mpinto

Reaction
I'm sorry folks I can't have the lax attitude of, oh it's been a good run and oh thank you Lucas for years of great racing will miss you. If you have that same attitude then I'm quite sure you have no kids involved or any financial investment in this type of racing.. ie a short course. I understand the financial reasons for Lucas to bail out that does not ease the sting $$$ of what has just happened to a lot of families with this corporate exit. Besides myself with 2 Lucas oil specific race trucks in my shop I know of several folks that have just spent a ton of time and money building new race trucks for this upcoming season. It's hard to explain the amount of family bonding that this racing brings out in people and I am glad that I dont have young kids that I have to explain we will no longer be going to the track any more. What about the older upcoming kids (tomorrows drivers) that just can't afford going to the midwest. Grass roots is were every form of racing started out and now we have nothing. Were do you think this sport will be headed with out tomorrows drivers. While you are posting or just talking about this freaking nightmare that has just happened to us short course folks please consider the implications of this bail out and how many dreams and bank accounts this will be effecting before you trivialize this departure. Let me put this into perspective for the dessert only folks. Sorry guys all the deserts including Baja are now closed no more racing for you. No difference between the class 11's or Trophy trucks with big dough your all done !!! THIS JUST FLAT OUT SUCKS !!. I know there is endless problems out there right now in this world and racing is very low on the list of issues but it was also a big distraction from this mess going on. Hashtag- having the rug pulled out from under you. I personally will no longer be purchasing any Lucas oil products for no other reason than it's my only recourse. Stay safe folks.

Pintagraphy

Reaction
If there are no regionals or some way for budget teams to race, there is going to be a serious downfall in numbers and talent in the upcoming years. You can't expect young talent to develop if it is so expensive to get into. This isn't soccer where you can throw your kid into a local youth league and just see if it sticks with no real financial commitment. Imagine having to toss thousands of dollars at your kid to get into a new sport and oh by the way his or her competition is going to be world class drivers immediately. Without a regionals series what is the other option? If you know anything about development in any sport, getting your ass kicked by professionals doesn't do much for the confidence, especially for younger kids. Now, on top of facing world class drivers with deeper pockets than you, add in the entry fee which is much more expensive than regionals, add in fiberglass which gets ripped up way more in nationals and on top of all that.... you're only gonna get two races (if you're lucky) in the season because you are on a budget and to travel outside of the state is a lot of money. Unless you have the money, regionals is your only option to get seat time in and develop without pouring out your pockets. Now, after all that you tell me how young drivers are supposed to develop without the money. Don't expect the sport to continue if you're going to cut off the youth from being able to come in the sport.