Bye-Bye LOORRS

450grl

Reaction
I'm sorry folks I can't have the lax attitude of, oh it's been a good run and oh thank you Lucas for years of great racing will miss you. If you have that same attitude then I'm quite sure you have no kids involved or any financial investment in this type of racing.. ie a short course. I understand the financial reasons for Lucas to bail out that does not ease the sting $$$ of what has just happened to a lot of families with this corporate exit. Besides myself with 2 Lucas oil specific race trucks in my shop I know of several folks that have just spent a ton of time and money building new race trucks for this upcoming season. It's hard to explain the amount of family bonding that this racing brings out in people and I am glad that I dont have young kids that I have to explain we will no longer be going to the track any more. What about the older upcoming kids (tomorrows drivers) that just can't afford going to the midwest. Grass roots is were every form of racing started out and now we have nothing. Were do you think this sport will be headed with out tomorrows drivers. While you are posting or just talking about this freaking nightmare that has just happened to us short course folks please consider the implications of this bail out and how many dreams and bank accounts this will be effecting before you trivialize this departure. Let me put this into perspective for the dessert only folks. Sorry guys all the deserts including Baja are now closed no more racing for you. No difference between the class 11's or Trophy trucks with big dough your all done !!! THIS JUST FLAT OUT SUCKS !!. I know there is endless problems out there right now in this world and racing is very low on the list of issues but it was also a big distraction from this mess going on. Hashtag- having the rug pulled out from under you. I personally will no longer be purchasing any Lucas oil products for no other reason than it's my only recourse. Stay safe folks.
Those of us who have been around this sport for a while aren't panicking because we know from history that some other entity will most likely come in and pick up where LOORRS left off, or at least a portion of it. The infrastructure is all there, the work has been done building tracks and a fan base and sponsorships....this has happened in the past and will most likely happen again. Be patient.... LOORRS did this for 12 years!! Lucas Oil put in their money, their time, and a lot of hard work to give us an AMAZING series for 12 freakin' years! Nothing to say to them but thank you......this is a sport that is extremely difficult to glean an ROI from and therefore makes it very difficult to sustain in the long run. Fortunately there are a lot of companies who love it, who feel they CAN gain something from being a part of it, and those companies are most likely already crunching numbers to see if they can make something of it out here.

Noisypond

Reaction
I'm sorry folks I can't have the lax attitude of, oh it's been a good run and oh thank you Lucas for years of great racing will miss you. If you have that same attitude then I'm quite sure you have no kids involved or any financial investment in this type of racing.. ie a short course. I understand the financial reasons for Lucas to bail out that does not ease the sting $$$ of what has just happened to a lot of families with this corporate exit. Besides myself with 2 Lucas oil specific race trucks in my shop I know of several folks that have just spent a ton of time and money building new race trucks for this upcoming season. It's hard to explain the amount of family bonding that this racing brings out in people and I am glad that I dont have young kids that I have to explain we will no longer be going to the track any more. What about the older upcoming kids (tomorrows drivers) that just can't afford going to the midwest. Grass roots is were every form of racing started out and now we have nothing. Were do you think this sport will be headed with out tomorrows drivers. While you are posting or just talking about this freaking nightmare that has just happened to us short course folks please consider the implications of this bail out and how many dreams and bank accounts this will be effecting before you trivialize this departure. Let me put this into perspective for the dessert only folks. Sorry guys all the deserts including Baja are now closed no more racing for you. No difference between the class 11's or Trophy trucks with big dough your all done !!! THIS JUST FLAT OUT SUCKS !!. I know there is endless problems out there right now in this world and racing is very low on the list of issues but it was also a big distraction from this mess going on. Hashtag- having the rug pulled out from under you. I personally will no longer be purchasing any Lucas oil products for no other reason than it's my only recourse. Stay safe folks.
Look up on YOUTUBE the speech that Bob Pattison made when Lucas stepped in to take over the last racing association (I think it was COORR not sure) and Forrest put up the money for them to "Make Payroll" that week when that organization was on their knees with $0 and 0 options. Pattison said he was against doing it at all, advised Forrest NOT TO DO IT but they did it anyway. None of us know if they EVERY made any money on the LOORRS series but if they did I would frankly be surprised. I believe the primary value to the Lucas group was creating content that they could control for MAV TV and other Lucas owned properties that the could cross market with the series. I raced Pro Buggy for 4 years, 2 regional 2 national. I was successful at it. I felt they did a good job overall.... yes the entry fees were pricy, the "hard cards" seemed pricy as well and but the cost of equipment compared to other motorsports I have participated in seemed reasonable. As far as tearing ups tuff it depends how you drive and how much you take care of the equipment.

We will probably never know but we do know this - entrepreneurs DO NOT close down profitable businesses - they sell them or keep them until they don't work anymore or have a use for them anymore. Motorsports promotion is a business - its a very tough business to make money in at all - they lasted 12 years, elevated the series, created their OWN TV shows (as opposed to begging for TV time and trying to find a production company at a reasonable price), created THEIR OWN TV station to air the shows...... as I see it the "ROCKSTARS" of the sport for the last 12 years was the Lucas Group....

I spent 10 minutes talking to Forrest at a race I was entered in - he was walking through the pits by himself, no "billionaires entourage" he was just looking around - I said hello, told him I appreciated what he had done for the sport, he was very nice to talk to and we chatted about what they had plans to do and he seemed excited. I sensed 0 ego - 0 bullshit - which I found very refreshing.

If someone buys the "bones" of what is left only then will you see what they had accomplished vs. what the series will be under new leadership/ownership.

I actually think this will STRENGTHEN local / regional racing, people are not going to just throw their equipment away, they will race it somewhere.

DailyPedal

Reaction
Agreed Corry, where there is a will, there is a way...Lucas has been the largest by far, supporter of any and all motorsports for decades and they truly deserve appreciation and praise.
All the hard works has been done, we'll have to wait to see what can and will be done for the future of the best, craziest form of closed course racing in existence

az_amsoil

Reaction
Good points az.

While I agree, short course needs to get back to basics...

I disagree on Speed/RG, filling the void.

The new COR series, in the Midwest, is a throw back, of sorts. The powers in charge, went back to the future...much like when they revolutionized, SnoCross and SnowMobile racing. Fans first, give them: action, racing, a more intimate environment, and they could watch it for free...live!!!! Lucas had us paying for an app.

But why would RG, take Speed, to the middle of nowhere? Robby wants the Speed series, in front of large grandstands, in an urban environment. This way he can get the sponsors, in front of big city media outlets. The Big City Media networks...don’t want to go out to the middle of nowhere...which is where most of the Short Course events are.

People would knock the Rte66 Joliet events, for multiple reason. Not limited to: bad track layout, sudpar food options, an environment that seemed to corporate, etc... But the media could find it, and get to the event...if they wanted to come...or even knew it was happening. Which I blame on, the bad promotion, by those sanctioning bodies.
I wasn't clear, not implying that RG/SST replace short course racing (Pro2/4), but with no series and several purpose built tracks out there sitting idle, he could have some racing on dirt. Just thinking out loud.

putorkdforbaskat

Reaction
Pastrana and Nitro Circus are planning a Rallycross series for 2021/22. Maaaaaaaaaaybe they could use those tracks? Cant "Supercross/Motocross/Am.FlatTrack" use those tracks with some alterations too?
I dont want to read in 4 months "4 LOORRS tracks are being sold to become 'park, mall and hotels"

handmethemic

Reaction
The new COR series, in the Midwest, is a throw back, of sorts.

I am convinced that the ideal model for short-course off-road racing is small midwestern towns.

It'd be unfair to say that based on only the existence of Crandon and Bark River, but ERX and Lena are crushing it, too.

I don't know that west-region races cannot work, but I know the following is a proven way to create a lasting event:
  1. Get a community to fully buy in to hosting a race
  2. Like, really get them to buy in
  3. Involve the community in the event in a meaningful way (e.g. Crandon's community involvement and financial donations, Lena's Friday night downtown parade/party)
  4. Then make the event go
These steps are in both chronological order, and order of importance.

stephenrjking

Reaction
I am convinced that the ideal model for short-course off-road racing is small midwestern towns.

It'd be unfair to say that based on only the existence of Crandon and Bark River, but ERX and Lena are crushing it, too.

I don't know that west-region races cannot work, but I know the following is a proven way to create a lasting event:
  3. Involve the community in the event in a meaningful way (e.g. Crandon's community involvement and financial donations, Lena's Friday night downtown parade/party)
This may not be the only model, but COR is buying into this model and the result seems, to me, to be a firmer foundation for a sport in trying economic times. There is a built-in constituency of funding, volunteers, fans, and drivers that produces a product that doesn't depend on a corporate sponsor to function (though the sponsor makes for a better series, obviously).

It sounds like people like Corry are confident that someone will step in out west, and I hope that's true, but it doesn't appear to me that the tracks there have the same kind of durable constituency. The durable constituency in that region is in the major desert series, particularly Baja.

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
Reaction
Those of us who have been around this sport for a while aren't panicking because we know from history that some other entity will most likely come in and pick up where LOORRS left off, or at least a portion of it. The infrastructure is all there, the work has been done building tracks and a fan base and sponsorships....this has happened in the past and will most likely happen again. Be patient.... LOORRS did this for 12 years!! Lucas Oil put in their money, their time, and a lot of hard work to give us an AMAZING series for 12 freakin' years! Nothing to say to them but thank you......this is a sport that is extremely difficult to glean an ROI from and therefore makes it very difficult to sustain in the long run. Fortunately there are a lot of companies who love it, who feel they CAN gain something from being a part of it, and those companies are most likely already crunching numbers to see if they can make something of it out here.

Agreed, everytime you get shocked by what just happened and youre shaking your head OMG.......what are we gonna do? something better comes along and were like ..........alright cool that works.

handmethemic

Reaction
Agreed, everytime you get shocked by what just happened and youre shaking your head OMG.......what are we gonna do? something better comes along and were like ..........alright cool that works.

1605631154888.png

Reaction

I think it's worth noting that the midwest has a history of racers organizing things and building series from the ground up. Some guys got together to race through the woods around Crandon, said "hey, this is fun, let's put a few rules on paper" and here we are. Everything has grown from that. Even if the big series folds up, MORR (i.e. the sportsman racers) is always there to provide a floor and keep the sport from disappearing completely. No matter what happens with the pro classes, you know that there will be short course racing at Crandon, Bark River, and now Lena, and at a decently high level, simply because of the sportsman base. Short course in the midwest has a critical mass of ground level support that makes it very resilient. It's grown there organically and has deep roots.

Out west, on the other hand, it's been transplanted. It's done pretty well when fertilized with sufficient money, but can't quite thrive on its own. As has been mentioned, the desert scene in the west might be more analogous to short course in the midwest. That sport has deep roots, iconic events, workaday sportsman racers who plan their entire lives around off road events, etc.

freshwillie

Reaction
id like to see the tracks run there own schedules with sportsman type classes and maybe the pro2's tour them like sprint cars do to the dirt tracks. id also like to see a single rule book for all of the America continent. it would also be awesome if Robbie Gordon put on more stadium races and invited other classes and closer matched the MTEG experience. id be stoked if I could run my Midwest super stock or light buggy at any off-road venue south. I've always thought a winter national race somewhere warm for west vs Midwest pro and sportsman would be awesome. but it needs to be consistent and done successfully every year.

class5cole

Reaction
Just purely spit-balling here...

What about one pro class with some pretty standardized rules (like normal), whilst there's simple sportman classes helping to flip the bill the first few years. UTV, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 8+. Make sure there's cages, fuel cells, window nets, up to date fire suits and helmets. Let 'em rip. Let those Terra Crew, Jump Champ crowd hype it up.

Make me think of Costa Mesa Speedway. All divisions race under the same lights and people in the stands look at Division 3 think "Hey I could do that.."

stephenrjking

Reaction
Just purely spit-balling here...

What about one pro class with some pretty standardized rules (like normal), whilst there's simple sportman classes helping to flip the bill the first few years. UTV, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 8+. Make sure there's cages, fuel cells, window nets, up to date fire suits and helmets. Let 'em rip. Let those Terra Crew, Jump Champ crowd hype it up.

Make me think of Costa Mesa Speedway. All divisions race under the same lights and people in the stands look at Division 3 think "Hey I could do that.."
There's already a sportsman sxs class, and as I read it the main allowable modification is the suspension. Most of the other stuff is safety related (though people who actually do this could correct me).

...and while modding the suspension certainly has its advantages: 1. I'm not certain that the kind of action short course requires is wise with stock suspension; 2. There's quite a bit of work required to make the SxSs safe to race in, doesn't seem like allowing guys to upgrade the suspension and whatever other small improvements that are allowed would be that much heavier of a lift.

I could be wrong. I just watch this stuff. My impression is that SxS has gotten such great counts in significant part because of the "I could do that" appeal you mention.

450grl

Reaction
On the VORRA live FB last night - Extreme Short Course series with a total of 5 race days at Glen Helen, Wild West and Prairie City - Trophy Karts to Pro4. Per BJ & Laura - lots of info / web site updates coming very soon.
This one has my attention - I love the Reno track and have always wanted to race our SR1s there - 2021 might be the year that happens! :)

y2kbaja

Reaction

March 19-20 Glen Helen--two rounds, two days of racing.
June 18-19 Reno Wild West--two rounds, two day of racing.
October 31 Prairie City Sacramento--One day of racing but the Halloween Party the night before....