bypass Res position and rebound tube ???

zukIzzy

Reaction
What are the pros and cons of...

The Resivor tube coming off the top cap?

Coming off the bottom of the shock body?

Also I think most bypass shocks have at least one rebound tube that covers about 80% of the shock body or travel. At least most that I have seen are configured that way. I just got a set of 3 tube bypasses and the compression side is pretty much the normal 2 tubes with overlap at normal piston ride position but the rebound tube is only 33% of thetotal piston travel and mounted in the middle of the body.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of this kind of rebound tube position?

Thanks
wayne

therail

Reaction
If the resi comes from the blind end of the shock body it can affect your compression damping because an unknown amount of the fluid will be pushed into the reservoir and not through the valve stack.

If it comes from the rod end of the shock body all of the fluid must pass through the valve stack, or bypasses, giving a more consistent feel. The aforementioned scenario also applies here, but on the rebound side of things where it is thought to be less critical.

At least that's how I remember reading it here a few years ago. If I missed something please let me know.

Reaction
What he said: off the top no bueno, trust me.

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
The layout you have is setup for fast midstroke wheel movement. The compression has a progressive layout. The rebound is meant to move freely but only at ride height.

Any of those tubes may also be setup to flow both directions so there could be more going on inside that you cant see.

Regarding top vs. bottom hose the simple off road explination is stick it on the bottom where possible... Bottom is not always best though (even in off road race vehicles) but the explination of which to chose for each application takes a while.

zukIzzy

Reaction
The layout you have is setup for fast midstroke wheel movement. The compression has a progressive layout. The rebound is meant to move freely but only at ride height.

Any of those tubes may also be setup to flow both directions so there could be more going on inside that you cant see.

Regarding top vs. bottom hose the simple off road explination is stick it on the bottom where possible... Bottom is not always best though (even in off road race vehicles) but the explination of which to chose for each application takes a while.

Thanks Joel

All the valves are one way so that I know for sure. My rig is that rusty thing over by the boat you may have seen when you were at my place setting up DSIs shocks. It seems to me that I would want a more linear rebound on a big heavy axled rig. What do you think?

Also is it worth moving the res if it is on the top now?

Thanks
wayne