Bypassing Deadman Switch

Erik Irvine

RDC Crypto
Website
www.FinishLineWELD.com
I know the title kind of seems like a oxymoron or Darwin move but;

My Dad has a old 1986 Toyota pickup 4X4 he uses as a ranch truck up in Oregon on his property. He was having trouble starting the truck for awhile and the last time I was up there we figured out it is the mechanical/electrical gizmo that tells the computer or starter that the auto trans is in park. The gizmo is located off the side of the transmission right where the shifter comes down from the cab. We ended up tightening the linkage and doing a little Jerry rigging and it worked again for a couple of years. He called me today and says it has been difficult the last few months and he finally can't get it to start at all. So he wants to bypass this kill switch so he can start it in park or if he is dumb enough in another gear.

Does anybody know electrically how I could bypass this switch? If not is there a way I can bypass all dead man switches by running a wire from the ignition to the starter or something similiar?

He won't be able to crawl under the truck or do mechanic work so he was hoping I knew of a way to wire it maybe under the hood. He had his hips replaced last year and is pretty immobile still.

Oh yeah if it matters it is a 22RE with autotrans, 4X4 IFS Extended cab with a body lift and 33in. tires. Pretty bada$$ looking, has a smittybuilt roll bar too!

Thanks guys!

RDC Crypto
Just replace the neutral switch. You don't want that thing starting in gear.

bottlefed98

RDC Crypto
Make sure its not the starter acting up. Toyota starters will wear out the brass contacts inside the solenoid causing the starter to act up intermittently but progressively getting worse

Erik Irvine

RDC Crypto
Website
www.FinishLineWELD.com
I know it is the neutral sensor we could get it to start everytime when I was down there pushing on the housing. I will look up and see how much a new gizmo is. Thanks for the responses guys