C02 tank questions to those that pit.

DougM

Reaction
I just purchased a C02 tank and am looking for a handle ( to carry it)as well as safety tips.
I've read/heard that leaving the tank in say my enclosed Jeep when wheeling isnt so good?

Since alot of the desert racers use these to airup/down , run tools etc. all in the heat of the desert, I take it maybe they arent as bad as I've read?

My local gas fillup will be AirGas in Escondido/Kearny Mesa. I guess I could ask them I just thought id ask here first.

I'm also going to be using a fire extinguiser large mount to mount vertically in my Jeep..

thanks!

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Dont worry the tank wont exploded my tank has sat in the Galmis sun for hours with no problems, plus I think all the new bottles have a brass diaphram that pops off when they hit a certain pressure.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I have one mounted down securly in my toolbox in the bed of my truck. If it isn't mounted down it could hit you in the head and do some damage.
-Chris

2000 v6 4x4 TRD 5-Speed Tacoma

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I had a 150 ft^3 Nitrogen tank come loose in my bed through a whoops section and it flew everywhere and had no damage to the tank, but my bed is a whole different story. Why CO2? I prefer the nitrogen because it can be used for the shocks too.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

DougM

Reaction
From what I heard you can air up ALOT more tires on a 10# C02 tank then you can with the same amount of Nitrogen?

Nitrogen is more expensive to refill and I wont be using it for anyhting but airing up anfter crawling around at the dez.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Just curious to where you purchased your tank. I am going to be buying one soon for the same reason but haven't shopped around yet.

Jason

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit

Junior

Reaction
I'm with the rest of these guys. Just keep that tank mounted securely and you won't have any problems. I have also waited for hours and hours to pit the truck while with the C02 tank sat in the sun without any problems.

Junior
HAZLO EN GRANDE
O Mejor Regresa A Casa

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
The desert heat will not effect CO2 or Nitrogen, But I would NEVER let
a bottle rattle around in a pickup truck, 2500 psi can turn a bottle into
a nice Rocket powered projectile if the valve is damaged

martininsocal

Reaction
heads up! as to the safety of the tanks- i strap one to may back everytime i enter a burning building. temps up high aproach 1800 degrees. yes, things melt at this tempurature, but the tanks do just fine(helmets on the other hand don't!). if you shop around at surplus places like the city surplus store in san diego, you can get a surveyed SCBA bottle for cheap. a new regulation has mandated we get rid of all tanks manufactured before a certain date, so they will be plenty of them available. most of these tanks will have been hydro tested to 2000 psi within the last 5 years. they can be refilled with plain old air. many of these tanks will be composite banded construction, so they will be very light. happy hunting.

as far as safety-as long as you don't bust the neck off, you should be fine. if the neck fails, they take off just like a rocket and can and do go through concrete block walls and steel sides on fire engines. fortunately it has never happened to any of my equipment, but we have received the pictures with the safety notices to prove what happens.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

scott

Reaction
Those things are pretty durable. Make sure its bungied down or something, because the biggest damage you'd get is the thing coming through your back window....

firedog

Reaction
How many of you guys out there scuba dive?? You could use your scuba bottles filled with air to fill tires, change tires ect. All you need to get is a regulator that will work. Just make sure the bottle is tied down and will not move around when carried in a vehicle, it should be in an upright position. I believe if you look around at the filling stations (airgas, ect.) you will see a poster of vehicles involved in accidents of improperly carried cylinders, be safe. I also carry a 4500 psi. cylinder on my back at work!!

martininsocal

Reaction
Paul and Jason- any word from sac metro yet? you guys gonna be regulars on the west coast anytime soon? pulling for you!

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

choppekx

Reaction
The tanks you get from a welding supply store have a safety on the back of the valve, if the tanks get to hot the safety will pop, which empties the tank. It has the same effect of opening the valve. I have seen one pop one time, but it had been sitting in the sun all day long on a day that approched 120 degrees. Not a big deal though , you just lose the CO2.

Chris

jimpat

Reaction
i have about 20 old oxy and acetilene bottles, free to anyone that can use them, they may have to be retested
jim

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

DougM

Reaction
Heres a pic of the tank bracket I thought of using. Anyone have any doubts it might work?

Please let me know.

Attachments

• 5-21971-bracket.jpg
    5-21971-bracket.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 135

JasonHutter

Reaction
Martin, we head back out on the 1st of June for the CPAT test, then later in the month for our first oral boards.

Jason