C4 Plumming

wrightracing.net

Reaction
I am putting AN fittings on my Full size bronco. Your C4 has the original 1/4 NPT fittings on the trans just like my Bronco. I am going to use -8 AN hose and fittings but I have seen -6 on some fits. You will have to use adapters on the transmission, I would suggest swivel ends to make things easier to route lines.

johnnyweb

Reaction
partybarge_pilot said:
Use -8, -6 is to small.
culhane transmissions has me using a #8 fitting with the output line chocked down to 5/16 inside diameter to keep the proper pressure inside the trans. some #8 fittings will have 3/8 inside diameter which according to steve culhane is to large to keep the right pressure in the valve body. hose size he said #6 or #8 which ever i prefer.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
The attached photos show how I adapted the 1/4 NPT on the C-4 to a -8 hose. Use the 90 degree fitting with a male 1/4 NPT on one end and -6 female on the other. Then use a -6 to -8 male reducer to attach to the -8 hose.

The hart part was finding someone who had the 90 degree fitting in stock.

Attachments

• Trans fitting.jpg
    Trans fitting.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 262
  • trans fitting 03.jpg
    trans fitting 03.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Tran fitting 02.jpg
    Tran fitting 02.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 163

ntsqd

Reaction
Some clarity seems to be due here.

A -8 hose is nominally 1/2" ID. ( -8 = 8/16") It's not actually due to it being military in origin, but it's close anyway.

A -6 hose is nominally 3/8" ID ( -6 = 6/16")

A -4 hose is nominally 1/4" ID ( -4 = 4/16")

Note that this is for the hose. All fittings are necessarily slightly smaller ID.

It's rare to see a stock trans cooler tube larger than 5/16" I can't imagine the trans flowing enough fluid at the typical cooler line pressure to need a -8 hose.

FWIW, you want to avoid the forged 90* type fittings if at all possible. Sometimes that is the only thing that will fit, but they do not flow nearly as well as the formed tube 90's.

johnnyweb

Reaction
1497 said:
I also called MOGI and they said they drill and then retap the line input/outputs to accept AN Fittings. I'd rather keep it simple and run the NPT to AN fittings.

Thanks guys

thats how i did mine NPT to AN flare the inside dia on the NPT end was 5/16 inside diameter which is what i was told i wanted from steve culhane transmissions. i also use #8 lines as i had plummed the truck that way prior. creates a little more fluid capacity any way.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
True, the formed tube fittings offer less flow resistance than the forged do, but I was never able to find the male 1/4 NPT in anything other than with the forged 90. So far we haven't run into any heating issues with our transmission (190-200* in the pan) So for our application it has worked.

hoeker

Reaction
OK, first the c-4 has 1/8 npt fittings. before the trans is built drill them out for 1/4" npt. if this is a race trans run -8 hose, make sure it's braided teflon at least to your first cooler. if it's a street/ prerunner trans -6 line should be fine. you don't have to use AN fittings but they make life easy when it comes time to repair the trans. i don't use re-usable fittings on transmission lines, the ones for the teflon hose are unreal expensive and heavy. go to your local fluid power store and have them crimp fittings on the braided teflon hose. this will take a couple trips but it's the way to go.

ffjerm

Reaction
Jon - there's a hose guy right down the street from sta 76, your dad will remember where.....he gives a firefighter deal and we have had good luck with his work in the past, always has a good stock of parts......you might want to look him up.....i think it's 'the hose man', on valley in bloomington.......truck looks good!!!

see ya guys!!! - jerm