C6 running Hot

wrightracing.net

I have a 351w with a C6 trans in a bronco and the trans was fine for 15 miles on the freeway then it started to run hot around 200Deg. Before that it ran around 170deg.

Any thoughts. We just put the trans in so maybe we need to adjust the line Pressure?????? this is the first C6 I have worked on. We did a E4od swap on a 1991 bronco.

Thank you for any input

Giant Geoff

Make sure the cooler pump in from the bottom and exits the opposite top corner.

Never have both lines on the bottom. It will not use all of the cooler surface.

wrightracing.net

Make sure the cooler pump in from the bottom and exits the opposite top corner.

Never have both lines on the bottom. It will not use all of the cooler surface.
Are you talking about the trans cooler up at the radiator? Right now we are just running the OEM stock cooler. The Oem cooler is fine for freeway driving and it should not be running hot. I will b adding a aftermarket cooler soon. but w need to just get the basics done first. We have no leaks, that's a plus.

Would a kick down cable problem make a trans heat up?

Thanks for the help

Giant Geoff

I was thinking cooler, sorry. Try switching the line, it may be flowing the wrong way?

wrightracing.net

I was thinking cooler, sorry. Try switching the line, it may be flowing the wrong way?
I did not think it mattered in this application but that might be it, because I just routed the line closest to each hole. I will look up the E4OD and C6 to see if the input and output for the cooler. Thanks

cancinoj

280 wow,. is that possible to reach that hot and still be running? what's the normal from cool to hot trans temp,.

johnnyweb

280 wow,. is that possible to reach that hot and still be running? what's the normal from cool to hot trans temp,.
oh it is possible and finish the race after the fact.

Wright racing/ Give us a lowdown on the bronco specs. What temperature is the engine running at?

wrightracing.net

The Bronco is a 351w running at 185 but the trans was running at 200 on a autometer guage with a top temp of 250. On my F350 diesel runs 150 so 200 seems hot but they are different Transmissions. We are planning on putting a aftermarket cooler on the Bronco.

I just wanted to know what a normal temp range around town was for a 1991 Bronco with a 351w, C6 Trans, 4.10 gears, and 33x12.50x15 tires.

johnnyweb

If you are running the transmission thru the radiator it will never run cooler then the 185deg the cooler line in the radiator is seeing. As for a good temp for it to run around town 150-175 should be a good range. 200 on hills and out in the sand as the picture shows is not that hot. 225-250 know we are getting hot. Sand will heat up a transmission like no other thing i know. Make sure the outlet line of the trans always goes in the bottom of the cooler and exits the top back to the trans. I would be surprised if the bronco did not already have the Ford aux cooler in front of the radiator.