Cabo 1000 Or Busted?

Fidel

Reaction
I have recently received several mysterious emails seemingly outting several conmen in the industry. Earlier in the week, I was asked by someone outside the industry regarding the validity of the Cabo 1000 and whether it was worth partnering with the organization. This is all coincidental but the way things generally work in the industry. My immediate off-the-cuff response was that it was fraudulent.

Anyhow, after a few searches, I was led to the MO website for information relating to the Cabo 1000, which was an instant alert to fraud. I'm sure this race has been well played out upon these forums, but in the event it hasn't, I figured I would provide a heads up so as to assist would-be victims from falling victim yet again.

And in case anyone here is thinking I developed this site, it might very well be a good guess, but the rumor has no validity whatsoever. Sure, the web dev has gone to the length of inserting some fancy code, including the prized lightbox script and even Google Analytics, but do you really think I'd be so nice to a guy who is cause for attempting to undermine my client relations? Besides, the super hero who owns this domain name works with Aplus.net, and if you know me, you know that this web host is right on par with the credibility of MO himself.

ORIGINAL PIC - http://twitpic.com/j01nz
ORIGINAL WEBSITE - http://www.cabo-1000.com/ (Mike Over Cast / Baja Racing News)

Fidel

Reaction
CORRECTION: It is not Google Analytics but instead StatCounter
NOTE TO WEB DUDE: If you don't want to be found you may want to consider removing the stats code, since the account ID is traceable, albeit not very easily traceable.

Fidel

Reaction
Ooops. I believe I found the culprit behind the operation. Don't have time nor the interest in acquiring confirmation. But just as all roads lead to Slash X so goes the plight against MO.

M

memin.pinguine

Ooops. I believe I found the culprit behind the operation. Don't have time nor the interest in acquiring confirmation. But just as all roads lead to Slash X so goes the plight against MO.

I do not real understand your post but you might check your messages on the system and get in touch.
Godaddy does not seem to be that much better also.....
Hmmm, what fanzy code you talking about - some open source copy and paste stuff...., and it's not lightbox but a derived version from that, lytebox... better to tweak on the
webguys opinion...
And remove statcounter for what??? That guy does not need to hide - he also does not need to make known who he is.
You sound almost like that other guy at the Baja 500 that wnated to have a picture sooo bad....
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?p=825742&highlight=bajabird#post825742
Need to talk to him... hey, 5 minutes and you got him on the horn..... Weird... need to improve my english to understand....

Last edited by a moderator:

Fidel

Reaction
You're right about your English. And your avatar is equally as fugly. But I like your style. And to keep things in perspective, my Spanish is far worse than your English. But working my way back to the point, I appreciate that you're straight up and have a damn good clue about what's happening here. Thanks for your efforts as well as your methods.

And to clear up any confusion due to an apparent language barrier, you've got my wholehearted support, and to take it one further, and this is a huge step further, we have got to talk.

Now, from a purely web dude perspective, I vehemently despise Aplus.net. They suck. And if I could have reached anyone of the middle eastern guys hunkered down in a hut in South Africa, who serve as their primary sales, support and tech staff, I would have gleefully grabbed hold of their proverbial throats and performed a Mexican hat dance on their well-documented lies, cultural slurs and strong arm tactics. The ordeal I have had with them cost me weeks of agony and a formidable amount of money.

Take them or leave them, I prefer dealing with personnel who speak native English and have their well-fed rear ends planted in an office chair here within the boundaries of the United States. At the very least, there is a regional, cultural as well as linguistic understanding. Placing this into perspective, they understand God, guns, baseball, beer and anything else Americana.

Below, I have amassed some web recommendations. Take 'em for what they're worth. But most any business ought to secure their own web domains and web hosting under their own account, maintaining control of all of its assets. Likewise, I will self-quote myself once again. "In the world of social media, it's own or be owned. Therefore, secure brand as well as any perceived brands you may embark upon or otherwise be owned."

• GoDaddy - Domain Registrar / Web Hosting - Instantaneous domain name propagation. Decent hosting. Inexpensive. Intuitive control panel. With that said, it is wise not wise to have your domain hosted its registrar.American.
    WEBSITE - http://www.godaddy.com/
  • HostGator - Web Hosting - Perhaps the best web hosting in the business. Inexpensive. Use Cpanel and Plesk. Excellent for dedicated servers. Great shared server performance. Boasts a very open member forum. American.
    WEBSITE - http://www.hostgator.com/

M

memin.pinguine

You're right about your English. And your avatar is equally as fugly.<<<< I'm not out to win a beauty contest.

But I like your style. And to keep things in perspective, my Spanish is far worse than your English. <<<< My spanish is worse then my english also.....

And to clear up any confusion due to an apparent language barrier, you've got my wholehearted support, and to take it one further, and this is a huge step further, we have got to talk. <<<<< Thanks - then we can agree that a system admin should take this thread and move into the "whatever section" Got nothing to do with desert racing anymore except the initial reason

Now, from a purely web dude perspective, I vehemently despise Aplus.net. They suck. And if I could have reached anyone of the middle eastern guys hunkered down in a hut in South Africa, who serve as their primary sales, support and tech staff, I would have gleefully grabbed hold of their proverbial throats and performed a Mexican hat dance on their well-documented lies, cultural slurs and strong arm tactics. The ordeal I have had with them cost me weeks of agony and a formidable amount of money. <<<<< that sounds almost like racism... I love Southafrica. it's my second home (MEX is my third)

Take them or leave them, I prefer dealing with personnel who speak native English and have their well-fed rear ends planted in an office chair here within the boundaries of the United States. At the very least, there is a regional, cultural as well as linguistic understanding. Placing this into perspective, they understand God, guns, baseball, beer and anything else Americana. <<< I do only domain registrations with them and have except a few hick-ups 7 years ago no probs. Just like a car or bike - aint broke dont fix it

Below, I have amassed some web recommendations. Take 'em for what they're worth. But most any business ought to secure their own web domains and web hosting under their own account, maintaining control of all of its assets. Likewise, I will self-quote myself once again. "In the world of social media, it's own or be owned. Therefore, secure brand as well as any perceived brands you may embark upon or otherwise be owned." <<<<<<<<< I know them both and they suck the same as aplus at one point or another! I lease my own *nix servers at an European data center, root, empty, no nada on it so no worry what gives me the freedom to do as I wish.

Thanks for the advise.

Klaus or somebody else - get that @#$%& thread out of the desert racing section in the w.t.f. section please. Not even myself like to read this here. I'm sure Sr. "Thinks-I-have-fugly-avatar" agrees on that. besides; I love Memin Pinguin. read the description, we got some in common only they dont use the medical word and put a "head" on the end if I'm in a bad mood (like when somebody steals from me, a thief so to say) .... roflmao

Balmaceda

Reaction
Not a fraud

Concerning the race you guys are talking about, i just want you all to know it is not a fraud, the race is taking place on the 17th of October, it is a race that starts in Cabo going north to La Paz, coming back on the east side of the peninsula back to Todos Santos and ending back in Cabo San Lucas. This race has approximately 400 miles more or less, the course is completely marked and ready to prerun, you can find more information on www.elpatorojo.com, this race and all races here in Baja Sur are aproved by the mexican automotive federation, so no fraud guys.

M

memin.pinguine

Re: Not a fraud

Concerning the race you guys are talking about, i just want you all to know it is not a fraud, the race is taking place on the 17th of October, it is a race that starts in Cabo going north to La Paz, coming back on the east side of the peninsula back to Todos Santos and ending back in Cabo San Lucas. This race has approximately 400 miles more or less, the course is completely marked and ready to prerun, you can find more information on www.elpatorojo.com, this race and all races here in Baja Sur are aproved by the mexican automotive federation, so no fraud guys.

Nobody claims this race is a fraud. This is about that somebody else is taking YOUR race and promotes it for HIM to rip people of!! No get it?? En pinchi ratero. It does not help much to post the link to your website since most people here can not read Spanish. It would help at first if you guys make a statement that you not affiliated with that person in question, that you not gave permission that he uses YOUR brand (i.e. the race).

Do it in english and spanish, Mario's english is good enough to do so, so is Tomba's. I know there are several others at PatoRojo that could do. You got my e-mail, I'll help you even if my english suck.

Think a little further! This is not about the race. The history shows that person is highly "fishy". Good chance he rips another gringo of and another negative story is created about Baja and racing!! How about that??

You guys had a though year - all promoters - with the negative press up-road about the situation in Mexico, swineflu, economy. None of this has anything to do with you guys and it does not reflect on the quality of the race or organizers.

But if you want to attract people from north to participate or spectate you need to step up to the plate and do somethings about such stuff as it happened. A search engine spammer as that guy reaches 10times more people with his fraudulent stuff as you do with an announcement here saying your race is no fraud....

A press release on your website bi-lingual would be a good start!

If you need to know how to have this fake stuff removed on his website get in touch with me. You received my email a few days ago and opened it.....:cool:

Amen

Balmaceda

Reaction

Nobody claims this race is a fraud. This is about that somebody else is taking YOUR race and promotes it for HIM to rip people of!! No get it?? En pinchi ratero. It does not help much to post the link to your website since most people here can not read Spanish. It would help at first if you guys make a statement that you not affiliated with that person in question, that you not gave permission that he uses YOUR brand (i.e. the race).

Do it in english and spanish, Mario's english is good enough to do so, so is Tomba's. I know there are several others at PatoRojo that could do. You got my e-mail, I'll help you even if my english suck.

Think a little further! This is not about the race. The history shows that person is highly "fishy". Good chance he rips another gringo of and another negative story is created about Baja and racing!! How about that??

You guys had a though year - all promoters - with the negative press up-road about the situation in Mexico, swineflu, economy. None of this has anything to do with you guys and it does not reflect on the quality of the race or organizers.

But if you want to attract people from north to participate or spectate you need to step up to the plate and do somethings about such stuff as it happened. A search engine spammer as that guy reaches 10times more people with his fraudulent stuff as you do with an announcement here saying your race is no fraud....

A press release on your website bi-lingual would be a good start!

If you need to know how to have this fake stuff removed on his website get in touch with me. You received my email a few days ago and opened it.....:cool:

Amen

I´m not a promoter, we have a team and i drive one of the cars, but i posted because i know this issue with MO is been going on for quite a while now, there are only two serious promoters here in Baja Sur, Probaja, and U-Pro, they have the full support from the mexican automotive federation, the only problem is that their webpages are in spanish, anyway, there are three races left, the Gran Baja Sur in October 17th, then Circuito Bronco i believe is November 8th, i will have to check on that, and the last one in December 6th, feel free to ask any info, i will try to inform as best as i can, we are racing both of the championship, so i don´t favor anyone, both championships have good competition.

M

memin.pinguine

I´m not a promoter, we have a team and i drive one of the cars, but i posted because i know this issue with MO is been going on for quite a while now, there are only two serious promoters here in Baja Sur, Probaja, and U-Pro, they have the full support from the mexican automotive federation, the only problem is that their webpages are in spanish, anyway, there are three races left, the Gran Baja Sur in October 17th, then Circuito Bronco i believe is November 8th, i will have to check on that, and the last one in December 6th, feel free to ask any info, i will try to inform as best as i can, we are racing both of the championship, so i don´t favor anyone, both championships have good competition.
I know they are good races and I been to many the past almost 10 years. This whole discussion is kinda silly in one way since everybody knows he's a crook. Everybody here on the board and in the off-road sport.

But think of the person just running into that website - and he stay somewhat on top with stealing and scrapping from others - this person find's it and makes a booking. And then that person get's royally screwed as he's known for that.

What you think what they are thinking about Baja Off-Road and Baja / Mexico??

I give a @#$^ about the race as such if the organizer does not care to be used by an douche-bag. This is not my business, period!

But I'm concerned on negative impact such people create on the WHOLE area. The economic situation is not good despite other statements in Cabo as well in La Paz and dont need slime like that to even turn one person off to come here for a visit/vacation. Think about it.

Talk to the people and ask them why they don't do something about it? This guy offers race cars in the race - because he's working with them??? Is that why they don't do some about it?? Geeze Luis.......

I asked one organization if they have anything to do with it etc. - the Cabo 1000 - and never got an answer. Dont know about the other ones....

What team/class/# you racing?? I still got tons of pics from Dos Mares, Pueblo Magico and Coyote I did not publish. Glad to send them if I find you.

Saludos - via con dios