cad

evan_clanin

Reaction
alright, i am getting ready to do some computer work, finaly putting some thought into cad,and just some times like to play around with ideals, i need to get ahold of a decent cad program, user friendly not to many bells and whisles, are there any 3d programs out there, and who uses what and input on them. and most importantly price.

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I use Solidworks mostly. I have used mechanical desktop and autocad but I prefer Solid works. I prefer to build a 3d object and then make it 2d for building purposes. It is about 6000 per seat. You can get a student version for a lot cheaper.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

evan_clanin

Reaction
i just found soildworks on kazza, u can download it for free it looks like

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
i have copies of autocad2000 and 2000i if anyone is interested

LVprerunners.com

ntsqd

Reaction
AutoCAD Lite is 2D, but will get you going and you can do a LOT in 2D once you figure out the parts of the program that you need to use.

Solidworks is more like programs you're used to using, whereas AutoCAD tends to be it's own critter. Once you learn AutoCAD's quirks it's pretty good, but I would not use it for 3D stuff. SolidWorks beats the pants off of it for that.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

ntsqd

Reaction
Good Grief !!! Out of curiousity I looked up what AutoDesk has for list on AutoCAD LT (AutoCAD Lite). Yesh !!! $725
I paid $200 for my copy several years ago. $725 is not what I'd call entry level, which was the whole purpose of AutoCAD LT.

They do offer something called "QuickCAD 8" for $49.95 Looks reasonable enough and does support .dwg & .dxf files so AutoCAD users can read your files. Most pattern cutters can accept one of those two formats.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/index/0,,179713-123112,00.html>http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/index/0,,179713-123112,00.html</A>

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
If you're a student you can get the educational version of autocad for a couple hundred bucks. The only drawback with this v. is that when you print a draft, it will do so with "educational version" stamped in the background.

If you have the time (who does?) i would recommend taking a class at a community college. Otherwise you might find yourself scratching your head and possibly throwing your computer out the window (much like almost did when trying to learn 3dstudiomax and maya).