cage hoop outside cab design

1971Ford

I seem to have a new cage idea every week but im feeling good about this one. leaves more roof for my 6'10" dad and it will make it so much easier to install, and do 360 welds.

I just want to make sure there isnt anything im missing and this is perfectly fine through SCORE rules ( i dont see why not).

The plan:
Rear main hoop outside cab, between bed and cab. I am cutting the front of the bed out for other reasons so it will not interfere. Then we add in all the cross bracing shown. Then we can simply pull it off and do all the 360 welds. then it will be welded to the top and side of the frame (notch).
Then the two side tubes (coming from front subframes, up door frame, along roof) will stick out and weld to this hoop.
At the center, top of the roof i will cut a big slot so 3 tubes can come off the hoop into the cab.

As soon as the guy thats going to bend the main pieces up is at the shop with some spare time we are going to bend it up (hopefully within a week).
Well does it sound good?

Scott_F

Looks good kid. I would add a vertical tube from the roof V to the B star. The tricky part will be making the four bends in the B hoop so they all are on the same plane (flat). You could build and 360 weld the entire B hoop on your welding table. Leave the bottom tubes a little tight where they meet up to the frame, then grind to fit. You don't need those eight gussets in the B hoop. It would be better to put them in the side view, in front and behind the B hoop.

Since you are doing a front subframe for the A hoop, you could do the same for the B hoop, and run a tube along the floor/rockers.

If you cut out the front of your bed, connect the top of your bedsides to the B hoop.

1971Ford

Looks good kid. I would add a vertical tube from the roof V to the B star. The tricky part will be making the four bends in the B hoop so they all are on the same plane (flat). You could build and 360 weld the entire B hoop on your welding table. Leave the bottom tubes a little tight where they meet up to the frame, then grind to fit. You don't need those eight gussets in the B hoop. It would be better to put them in the side view, in front and behind the B hoop.

Since you are doing a front subframe for the A hoop, you could do the same for the B hoop, and run a tube along the floor/rockers.

If you cut out the front of your bed, connect the top of your bedsides to the B hoop.
all very good ideas! ill add in that vertical tube from the start to the roof V and ill re-arrange the gussets.
The front of the bedsides are right where the B hoop is, so i will have to notch to the bedsides a little for clearence. i will secure it to the B hoop like you suggest

Thanks. i need to run down to the shop and see when we can get it bent up!