cage to frame question

texasguy415

Reaction
Just double checking, can the A and B pillars connect to a support welded to the frame rather than directly to the frame rail and still meet SCORE requirements? Attached is a example of the support I would be tying into. How about connecting to a nerf bar which is welded to the frame?

Attachments

• box_frame_mount[1].jpg
    box_frame_mount[1].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 453

mcidge

Reaction
So is it still score legal to make that 75-90 degree bend and weld straight to the side of the frame? From a strength point of view- is is better to fab a heavy mounting bracket off to the side of the frame and weld the cage terminating end to the top of that? Or stronger to do the bend and weld to the side of the frame?

f1sleepy

Reaction
There should be no problems getting that passed by any tech. That joint is stronger than just bending the tube to meet the frame. That picture is from a truck on this site that was built by a highly respected and well known shop that has built many trucks that way. Given the cage layout, that is the best way to tie into the factory frame while maximizing interior space and remaining very strong. You'd have to bend that 2" tube very high up in order to have it land on the frame at a useful angle. 2" tube requires a large bend radius which limits what you can do with it.

Not that it really matters, but that is a nice prerunner and not a "race" truck.

James

mjp_2

Reaction
I have a similar setup and mine passed SCORE tech with no issues.

Note that I'm sandwiching the floorboards in my truck. The appearance is a bit different but the support method is the same.

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 408

Chase 2

Reaction
I personally would trust that over bending a tube in to meet the frame. The load is spread much better.