Cage

fnkrngr

Reaction
Has anyone ever used a rollcage from Jegs for a ford ranger?

You dont know the looks i get with this truck on the east coast.

jeff

Reaction
Never used one in a Ranger but a buddy used a similar kit in his Malibu SS. It was a pretty cheap way to go and was legal at the strip. Assuming you know how to weld installing it should be pretty easy. If you can't weld start looking for someone that can. His cage included terrible instructions but it's pretty tough to screw it up because it'll only fit one way. Tack it - check it - check it again - weld it.

Where else can you buy a full Ranger cage for $200 bucks?

Aloha

Donahoe

Reaction
YEEEEE HAAAAA!!!

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

jeff

Reaction
Having a "cheap" NHRA approved cage is better than relying on the stock pilars :)

A-low-ha

jeff

Reaction
Erik,

Do you have first hand experience with these "cheap steel" cages? You are probably more likely to get impaled by a poorly welded Chromo cage than anything else. You can survive most punctures... doubtful you could survive a crushed skull.

Aloha

drtdevil93

Reaction
do i have firsthand experience with cheap steel cages? no, i used chromoly and used lots of gussets.
i have, however seen a LOT of terribly designed roll cages as i am also a fan of drag racing, where unfortunately a bar gets called a cage all too often. listen, you will notice i frequently post jokes or sarcastic comments on here. that is how i am. if i offended you, too bad, i guess we cant be friends.

erik

ps when i said cheap steel, i didnt mean mild opposed to chromoly. i meant the cheap galvanized, or exhaust tube cages i see too often.

jeff

Reaction
No harm no foul amigo - and there's no reason to get all riled up - and who ever said I wanted to be your friend? :)

These cages are made from 1-3/4" .134" wall mild steel tube and the $200 kit cages are 10-point versions that should be more than sufficient for most guys. These aren't fence post cages and this ain't muffler shop stuff. It's a pre-bent and pre-cut cage that when properly welded is NHRA approved - perfect for street queen lid skids.

Aloha

boltonbros

Reaction
yeah you tell him jeff. I went to a outlaw drag race a few weaks ago and some people had them in there cars they look really strong if you guset them and weld it right but i didnt see the car jump and go end over end either.

when in doubt throttle it out

MNotary

Reaction
Right, most of the bolt in ones are "designed" as opposed to the jungle gyms that are "...uhhh, put a bar there....and ummmm, maybe there...and we can hang a coon tail to the tailgate...".

The right bolt for the right hole.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
huhu he said coon tail!

I have seen a sprint car with a roll cage made from exhaust tubing, it had a bolt in it that pinched the tubing, a dead give a way.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I have never seen one of these NHRA roll cages but I will agree that the "...uhhh, put a bar there....and ummmm, maybe there...and we can hang a coon tail to the tailgate..." that are most often done up are not the safest. There should be some money spent on a set of prints for each vehicle that is guranteed safe ajd then all shops should fall it...building a cage is not a "pride" thing...it is a lifesaver.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Kbach66

Reaction
Doh....now I gotta remove the oh so cool coon tail from my truck. Oh well. Maybe I'll just make it into a hat.....hmmmm the posibilities!

tedmales

Reaction
if there were 1 set of prints that all shops used, then some bean bag would get ahold of them, make the cage form bed frames or black pipe and when it breakes the lawsuits would start rolling out. the nhra cages are probably not a bad deal, and they have to be better than nothing if installed some what correctly

life is too short to be small

robert_encinas

Reaction
a few years ago the baja shop built a drag chassis and a nhra inspector had to come to the shop to check welds, tube thickness, cross bracing ,etc.
it passed.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
a set of prints specifies material to be used...just saying it would take the guess work out of building a cage. Nobody would be reliable because a waiver goes with the prints.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>