• Forum membership has its advantages....

Cali side of Parker 400 course - designated for elimination

Paige

Hey Guys and Gals ~

The NECO Desert Plan has slated to elimate the Parker 400 course on the California side. The AZ side is under a different plan and from what I understand - Whiplash is in tune with the goings on there. We are formulating a response to the NECO plan specifically regarding Racing and OHV use...seeing is how we haven't used the Cali side in years - I am not sure how we should approach a response to them eliminating the course. It apparantly runs through some sensative areas and since it been sitting dormant for so long - the BLM has decided to remove it from their plan...so I am looking for input regarding this particular issue...let them take it or argue for it to remain in the plan?

Please let me know what you think to help draft a response...

Thanks!!

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Rodney

Paige,
I'm not sure what other areas are on the immediate hit list...but my first thought is to perhaps use this area as a bargaining tool. Is there another area in their plan we could concede the parker area
in exchange for keeping the other area open? just a thought....

Winning IS everything

martininsocal

the california loop use was discontinued because of several issues, esa was one. the area contains sites of artifacts, remnants from pattons tank school, and some indian land issues. it was removed from the course to deal with these issues without having the race cease to exist. i don't think the race as promoted by score ended because of this, but for other reasons which were more political in nature. they walked away so whiplash jumped on a good thing. the blm issues( enforcement?) should get better as more multi use folks are put in place and the eco warriors put in place by the previous administration become the crusty old farts who don't agree with multi use and decide to find regions with more folks of their ilk. with the advent of the mojave preserve plus the push to reserve the big pictures on the ground in those areas, a race course would be tough to produce.
i will agree that a bargaining chip would be nice. that area is strangely not included with the west mojave plan(wemo) so it may be tough to tie the two together. might be worth a try after we see what they go after this wednesday.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Paige

Martin ~

I agree with you and Rodney - use it as a barganing chip and I had been thinking that since we have to pick our battles it might our best option. I'd certainly hate to waste energy on fighting for a course that no-one would try and plan a race on anyways. But certainly wouldn't want to give it away if someone thinks it is viable and was looking into racing on it again. Hence my question - if racing on it again isn't really an option due to other issues - then maybe using it to our advantage is the best tactic.

In the NECO plan however they did leave in the Parker - Johnson course which then spills into the WEMO plan.

I am interested in seeing what is our the hit list for the WEMO plan as well (and appreciate you going to that meeting). At the last meeting I was at - it looked like more trails had the potential for impact over the open OHV areas which have competition, but that may have changed in the last couple of months and I'm sure that you will be able to have a really good idea after wed.

Though NECO and WEMO are different plans - they are connected in the overall desert plan and as I was reading through the NECO plan - the competition and OHV section are written so they can basically be a cut paste into all the plans. I believe it will come down to what we want and what we are willing to give up.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Vtr_Racing

I dont think we should concede anything. Not real familiar with all the land use issues though. Just make sure we all behave ourselves out there. The CA side of the Parker race was so much fun. I miss it alot. There are lots of ways to combat this as there are mining people out there/pipeline people military, railroad. We are not the real issue there. Dont give an inch..........Marc Choquette

martininsocal

marc-the military seems to be immune from these plans. they are always mentioned, but enforcement on military land never occures. one thing that will be interesting is how much of johnson valley they try to tie up in the east. the military tried to take over that area several years ago and it didn't happen. i see some trail closures there as an attempt to set this up. from what i understand, ridgecrest is the biggest target due to the tortoise. there is some talk about stoddard valley for the tortoise also, but due to the increasing ruralization of the area, it will be a scare tactic to use as a bargaining chip for other areas. in regards to what we give up, we give up not one single acre of designated open use area that is currently available to us. the parker course(cali) doesn't include this. but dumont, razor, the routes to laughin, all should remain open as well as johnson and stoddard valleys and redrock and ridgecrest. we already gave them the mojave national preserve, they dn't deserve anymore.

If your gonna go, go BIG