Caliente 250---What a cool race!

Havasubud

Reaction
Got back yesterday from the Caliente 250. This race was a blast. To start, this was my first time as a co-driver, getting to sit in the passenger seat. I was riding with Palapaboy Dana in his Mason Pro-runner. When we got to Caliente, it was about 9:30 Thursday. My wife, my four daughters and my dog were in my folks motorhome that they loaned us. We pulled up to our campsite/pit area, and got set up. Dana, his wife Robyn and Nathan were there hanging out talking. Also there was Walter Messer, his grandson Tanner and his friend Trevor. They were racing a 1600 car, so we were all there together. After a long day on the road, about 11:30, It was time to call it a night. We got up the next morning, and headed over to Caliente Elementary School, where we lined up all the buggies and trucks for the kids to check out. The different teams were handing out pictures and signing autographs for the kids. This must have been a big deal for some of the kids who have never been around this stuff. Pretty cool community involvement. From there we went on the prerun. Only took an hour and forty-five minutes. The course had alot of variety. Sand washes, water crossings, some pretty rough stuff, not to mention the big downhill coming back into town. Once we got back to camp, Dana tells me to get my kids in the prerunner and take them out on the course. I didn't hesitate, and away we went. The kids had a blast, and so did I. Of course now I am going to have to get a prerunner or some kind of truck to build. The kids are already looking here on race dezert at the classifieds. Now it was time for sign-ups and tech. Before I knew it, it was time for dinner. A little bbq hanging out with the group, and of course, a little drinkin. Alright, time for bed, have to get up at 7am to get ready. Race day is here. I get up, and if I didn't show it, I was pretty nervous being a race newbie. We get the truck already and go to the drivers meeting. After all that it was time for staging. Dana and Rick did the 1st lap. Truck ran really good, with the exception of a fuel issue that made it so the truck had to be shut down and restarted. Still had a good lap time. 2nd lap Neil Mason and Jackie got in. They also had the same fuel problem, and they too had a good lap time. 3rd lap, Dana gets back in and I jump in the passenger seat. Away we went. A little after we took off, my intercom was not piping out. I could hear Dana, but he could not here me. No problem though, we got through. I was stressed and having a blast all at the same time. Watching the mirrors and the guages and trying to look ahead all at the same time was nerve racking. About mile 35 or so, we started having the fuel problem again, but it was not clearing up this time after shutting off and back on. So there we were, on the side of the course, changing fuel pumps. I would say we were down for at least 45 minutes. We got going again, and went about 7 or 8 miles, and the truck started sputtering again. We were only about an 1/8th of a mile from pit D. When we got in there, we were met by a group that was ready to help out. They were pitting for 1069 Mike Wichmann. Dana gets out and starts working on the fuel cell, and the guys were right there with him getting us going. Big thanks go out to the crew of 1069. You guys(and gal) were great. Thanks for the help and water. Away we went and were flawless the rest of the way. About mile 56, I was able to get my intercom working. So Dana got to talk to me for about 2 miles of the course. Anyways, we finished! I had a great time, and so did my family. I want to again say thanks to Dana and Robyn for giving me the opportunity to go for a ride. Nathan, Rick, Ed, Tony, Neil and Jackie, we enjoyed hanging out. Getting to meet new people like Walter and the guys, was great. SNORE put on another awesome event. Even though the number of cars was small, it was still a good turn out. Sorry for the long read, but I can't tell you how much of a good time it was.

Racbaja

Reaction
We raced this race in 2005 as part of the Baja Coalition 5/1600 series. The water crossings were cool and the course was a blast. eventhough we finished back due to late start and jetting issues, we had a great time with good people. It is kind of a haul from So Cal but I would consider doing it again.

Ron Plunkett
Plunkett Racing 557

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
One thing I have learned in the past five years , SNORE races are full of pleasant surprises....all year long. To all the volunteers, organizers, racers... thanks for doing what you do.

steviegnsc

Reaction
Awesome story, and man is Caliente a great place to go racing!:)

Albeit a short race for us (torque conv.), we haven't had that good a time in while just hanging around with the boys in the pits. It was our first time in Caliente too and we're already scheduling our vacations around it for next season, this year we'll be bring more swag for the kiddie's as we had know idea how killer there breakfast and enthusiasm was!

Some of our crew left Wed. night around 6:00 PM for a short stop in Las Vegas for a weekend luck check:cool: and some R&R by the pool, then to Caliente to get our pits setup. Me and our buddy Terry got on the road at 6:15 from Orange county and wound up getting to the MGM about a half hour before the rest of the team got in bed form the the night before....Here we go, I think to myself! But all the drivers had bailed out early to bed and after a little coordinating we were able to get them on the road within a couple of hours and we were on our way. A quick stop by AVCOMM (Good peeps by the way) to pickup a new intercom to replace the one that's been on the fritz for a few races and that's all she wrote for LV.

Heading out the 93 was super cool, being from So. Cal. we aren't used to racing around tree's and water so we got more and more excited as we drove further back up the hill.

Arriving in Caliente was bitchen'! It's like an old western town with the nicest people we've met in quite a while, everyone we met just continued to get nicer all weekend some of us didn't know how to act around them:eek:.

Got an area to setup pit and met a few folks (Bob and Karen I think) and then waited for the rest of the gang to arrive. We needed to do a few things to the truck the remained on the list from the mint so off to work we went first thing Friday AM. PA rewired the radio and cleaned up the under dash wiring, fuel filter swap, and then we ahve some fule pump issues but that was pretty much it! The rest of the day went pretty quckly just hanging out eating Carne and enjoying the scenery in Claiente, man what a great place!

Firday's Fun run was way too much fun for our team, we don't get to just lag around the course and take our time seeing the course most of the time it's a hurry up and get around the course so we can finish prepping the truck or off to tech or something like that, so we piled into the SD and headed out cooler strapped and music loaded:D. We were out for a cruise in the desert with some friends, so we just tried to stay out of the way.

Guys we kept playing leap frog with, that Willy's is a work horse!

The old tunnel near Main pit, kind of cool to see something built around the turn of the century and still rock solid nearly 100 years later.

After that we made some dinner and some last minute stuff before tech and in the rack for an early night.

Saturday started out well, we were second off the lone and running at a good pace. After quickly closing the gap on #701 Justin Hampton was driving the wheels off of it. The Fun run let us know that we needed to adjust some suspension for the race, so we set it up like a rally race and dropped the front end a couple of inches for improved handling, and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R were working great and gave us some much needed traction and durability:cool:.We set a good pace for the first lap and hand a clean pit stop and driver change only to have the trans give up. Done deal, thanks for coming:(! After that we got to hang out and watch the race and enjoy the festivities, while also getting an early opportunity to load the truck early and get packed for the long road back.

See you next year Caliente, we had a great time!

#713 Anderson Bros. Racing.
San Clemente Ca. (975 Miles round trippers:eek:)

Thanks to all our sponsors and crew, we can't get it done without you!
GIANT MOTORSPORTS
GOODYEAR TIRES USA
BERG ELECTRIC
BLITZKRIEG MOTORSPORT
TWISTED STICH
IRISH SKILL FABRICATION
SBR
SADDLEBACK PERFORMANCE

steviegnsc

Reaction
Cool story man. This place will always be on the schedule for me.
Your crew was freaking hilarious daily, I was tenting it across the way from you and woke up early (4:15 ish) to handle some business and laid there listing to you guys for a few minutes until I fell back to sleep:D I'm going to run this out there and will wait fir the response!

"Raise your hand if you fell down tonight":eek: Aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhhahhahahaha

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Your crew was freaking hilarious daily, I was tenting it across the way from you and woke up early (4:15 ish) to handle some business and laid there listing to you guys for a few minutes until I fell back to sleep:D I'm going to run this out there and will wait fir the response!

jajaja. Our crew knows how to have a good time, that's for sure. Good times, good times.

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
It was nice meeting you and the guys from Dezertnation. We had a great time at the race. Look forward to pitting with you guys in the future.
Robert

steviegnsc

Reaction
It was nice meeting you and the guys from Dezertnation. We had a great time at the race. Look forward to pitting with you guys in the future.
Robert
Anytime Robert! Had a great time talking story with you guys, the team is looking forward to the 500:D. Anything we can do to help! Good luck getting that truck ironed out before you head down to baja and give us a call if you need anything!

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction

Sorry we woke you up, but glad it was entertaining! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

steviegnsc

Reaction
Sorry we woke you up, but glad it was entertaining! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
No worries Jrod, I sleep like a rock and the rest of the boy were.....well let's just say the 36 hour Wed./Thurs. rendered them unconscious:cool: so we all slept pretty good! I would have slept through it all but having to take a peeeeeeeeees waits for no man to sleep in!:eek:

JMS

Reaction
Man sounds like a good time, Im sorry I missed that one, bummer on the trans dnf, sounds like a good time anyways

snoreracer

Reaction
Awesome story, and man is Caliente a great place to go racing!:)

Albeit a short race for us (torque conv.), we haven't had that good a time in while just hanging around with the boys in the pits. It was our first time in Caliente too and we're already scheduling our vacations around it for next season, this year we'll be bring more swag for the kiddie's as we had know idea how killer there breakfast and enthusiasm was!

Some of our crew left Wed. night around 6:00 PM for a short stop in Las Vegas for a weekend luck check:cool: and some R&R by the pool, then to Caliente to get our pits setup. Me and our buddy Terry got on the road at 6:15 from Orange county and wound up getting to the MGM about a half hour before the rest of the team got in bed form the the night before....Here we go, I think to myself! But all the drivers had bailed out early to bed and after a little coordinating we were able to get them on the road within a couple of hours and we were on our way. A quick stop by AVCOMM (Good peeps by the way) to pickup a new intercom to replace the one that's been on the fritz for a few races and that's all she wrote for LV.

Heading out the 93 was super cool, being from So. Cal. we aren't used to racing around tree's and water so we got more and more excited as we drove further back up the hill.

Arriving in Caliente was bitchen'! It's like an old western town with the nicest people we've met in quite a while, everyone we met just continued to get nicer all weekend some of us didn't know how to act around them:eek:.

Got an area to setup pit and met a few folks (Bob and Karen I think) and then waited for the rest of the gang to arrive. We needed to do a few things to the truck the remained on the list from the mint so off to work we went first thing Friday AM. PA rewired the radio and cleaned up the under dash wiring, fuel filter swap, and then we ahve some fule pump issues but that was pretty much it! The rest of the day went pretty quckly just hanging out eating Carne and enjoying the scenery in Claiente, man what a great place!

Firday's Fun run was way too much fun for our team, we don't get to just lag around the course and take our time seeing the course most of the time it's a hurry up and get around the course so we can finish prepping the truck or off to tech or something like that, so we piled into the SD and headed out cooler strapped and music loaded:D. We were out for a cruise in the desert with some friends, so we just tried to stay out of the way.

Guys we kept playing leap frog with, that Willy's is a work horse!

The old tunnel near Main pit, kind of cool to see something built around the turn of the century and still rock solid nearly 100 years later.

After that we made some dinner and some last minute stuff before tech and in the rack for an early night.

Saturday started out well, we were second off the lone and running at a good pace. After quickly closing the gap on #701 Justin Hampton was driving the wheels off of it. The Fun run let us know that we needed to adjust some suspension for the race, so we set it up like a rally race and dropped the front end a couple of inches for improved handling, and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R were working great and gave us some much needed traction and durability:cool:.We set a good pace for the first lap and hand a clean pit stop and driver change only to have the trans give up. Done deal, thanks for coming:(! After that we got to hang out and watch the race and enjoy the festivities, while also getting an early opportunity to load the truck early and get packed for the long road back.

See you next year Caliente, we had a great time!

#713 Anderson Bros. Racing.
San Clemente Ca. (975 Miles round trippers:eek:)

Thanks to all our sponsors and crew, we can't get it done without you!
GIANT MOTORSPORTS
GOODYEAR TIRES USA
BERG ELECTRIC
BLITZKRIEG MOTORSPORT
TWISTED STICH
IRISH SKILL FABRICATION
SBR
SADDLEBACK PERFORMANCE

if you make it up next year on thursday i will show you the good stuff

Attachments

mwilsonphoto.com

Reaction
co doggin is fun huh! caliente rocks. It was my first time and ill be back next year.

MMS

Reaction
Got back yesterday from the Caliente 250. This race was a blast. To start, this was my first time as a co-driver, getting to sit in the passenger seat. I was riding with Palapaboy Dana in his Mason Pro-runner. When we got to Caliente, it was about 9:30 Thursday. My wife, my four daughters and my dog were in my folks motorhome that they loaned us. We pulled up to our campsite/pit area, and got set up. Dana, his wife Robyn and Nathan were there hanging out talking. Also there was Walter Messer, his grandson Tanner and his friend Trevor. They were racing a 1600 car, so we were all there together. After a long day on the road, about 11:30, It was time to call it a night. We got up the next morning, and headed over to Caliente Elementary School, where we lined up all the buggies and trucks for the kids to check out. The different teams were handing out pictures and signing autographs for the kids. This must have been a big deal for some of the kids who have never been around this stuff. Pretty cool community involvement. From there we went on the prerun. Only took an hour and forty-five minutes. The course had alot of variety. Sand washes, water crossings, some pretty rough stuff, not to mention the big downhill coming back into town. Once we got back to camp, Dana tells me to get my kids in the prerunner and take them out on the course. I didn't hesitate, and away we went. The kids had a blast, and so did I. Of course now I am going to have to get a prerunner or some kind of truck to build. The kids are already looking here on race dezert at the classifieds. Now it was time for sign-ups and tech. Before I knew it, it was time for dinner. A little bbq hanging out with the group, and of course, a little drinkin. Alright, time for bed, have to get up at 7am to get ready. Race day is here. I get up, and if I didn't show it, I was pretty nervous being a race newbie. We get the truck already and go to the drivers meeting. After all that it was time for staging. Dana and Rick did the 1st lap. Truck ran really good, with the exception of a fuel issue that made it so the truck had to be shut down and restarted. Still had a good lap time. 2nd lap Neil Mason and Jackie got in. They also had the same fuel problem, and they too had a good lap time. 3rd lap, Dana gets back in and I jump in the passenger seat. Away we went. A little after we took off, my intercom was not piping out. I could hear Dana, but he could not here me. No problem though, we got through. I was stressed and having a blast all at the same time. Watching the mirrors and the guages and trying to look ahead all at the same time was nerve racking. About mile 35 or so, we started having the fuel problem again, but it was not clearing up this time after shutting off and back on. So there we were, on the side of the course, changing fuel pumps. I would say we were down for at least 45 minutes. We got going again, and went about 7 or 8 miles, and the truck started sputtering again. We were only about an 1/8th of a mile from pit D. When we got in there, we were met by a group that was ready to help out. They were pitting for 1069 Mike Wichmann. Dana gets out and starts working on the fuel cell, and the guys were right there with him getting us going. Big thanks go out to the crew of 1069. You guys(and gal) were great. Thanks for the help and water. Away we went and were flawless the rest of the way. About mile 56, I was able to get my intercom working. So Dana got to talk to me for about 2 miles of the course. Anyways, we finished! I had a great time, and so did my family. I want to again say thanks to Dana and Robyn for giving me the opportunity to go for a ride. Nathan, Rick, Ed, Tony, Neil and Jackie, we enjoyed hanging out. Getting to meet new people like Walter and the guys, was great. SNORE put on another awesome event. Even though the number of cars was small, it was still a good turn out. Sorry for the long read, but I can't tell you how much of a good time it was.
Yeah, we had a great time also. Dana and friends are always fun to hang with and
being theonly TROPHYLITE guy in camp I took a pretty good beating, they were lucky that Mean Green wasn't racing. lol

Havasubud

Reaction
Don't feel bad, I took my share of crap myself.

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
Yeah, we had a great time also. Dana and friends are always fun to hang with and
being theonly TROPHYLITE guy in camp I took a pretty good beating, they were lucky that Mean Green wasn't racing. lol
Walt, did you talk to Gary about going to the dark side and racing the 1000 with us in the Mason? We had a great time but next time we should space the Patron out.

Attachments