• Forum membership has its advantages....

Calif 200

Terrie_Tavis

The Calif 200 was my first night race. I found it rather difficult. It was probably a combination of things, but mostly the dust. I would say that for at least 60% of the race, I simply could not see through the dust. Is this typical at night? I had my HID's mounted on the hood of my car..should they have been mounted on the top? Should I have mounted fog lights? When the dust did settle, it was a blast, but several times, I couldn't tell if I was even close to being on the track. This is one time I was actually happy to receive 5th place... Anyway, any input in helping me to improve my night races would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Bad Ass Toys Aren't Just For Boys!!!

I noticed a lot of racers would shut off all of there big lights when they got into the dust. I cant answer your question Terrie but wanted to say, you looked and sounded real good everytime you came past us. Great job..

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Terrie,

The dust was really bad out there. Some of the worst I have ever seen. Even the chase roads were bad. The last two night races have been in Barstow and I don't think the dust is quite so bad there. As for advice on lighting I don't have any. I am in the same boat with my lights mounted on my bumper. I would also like to hear from people that had a set up that helped in the dust....

Tony

Clifford

Congrats on your finish Terrie. I second John's statement as each time you came into start/finish the car was looking good.

With regards to your lighting question, we utilize 2 Hella 500's and 2 Hella 2000's on our 5/1600. The 500's are mounted in the headlight position and the 2000's are recessed in middle of the hood. Night races are a challenge because the lighting is not only your best friend but also your worst enemy. You need the light to see the course and what may lie down road yet the lights will limit your visibility to nil in the dust. Usually, I would darken the 2000’s if the dust became a visibility factor that would prevent us from seeing directly in front of the car. Mounting the lights on top of the car may help out considerably. The bulk of the lighting would shine above your field of vision.

tkr

we ran a set of fog lights just for that reason, when the dust got too bad, I'd shut the top lights off and just run the fog lights. It helped tremendously.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

RacnCPA

Terrie, CONGRATS on your finish. I have to agree with Clifford on the lights. It was real hard to see with the lights flashing back at you in the dust. The dust was like a fog and I think lights in the fog light position would have been the best. I'm no expert and don't know. Lucerne is notorious for its silty dust and the way it lingers on the course. This race was no exception and the fact it was at night made it that much more difficult. I have to admit that this race had an awesome finishing ratio considering the dust. That was the number one complaint, other than that the course was pretty fast. I left the finish line about 1:45am to get some rest, so send me your race facts ASAP. Thank you and again CONGRATS!!

Sc

Congrats Terrie on another great finish.

The dust was as bad as I have ever seen on a night race. It was not nearly that bad at Barstow last year or at SNORE night race earlier this month. We had top lights, low lights, fog lights and HID lights and we could not see in the dust either. My wrist got sore not form driving, but from constantly switching lights on and off looking for the right combination.

If you find the answer to lights in heavy dust, please let me know. I am still looking for it.

Whit Courtenay - MarCourt Racing

Terrie,

unfortunately this raced marked a year for me since I raced last. Night races are one of my favorites to enter, even though prior to last years I never had really good lighting. Last year I ran the stock toyota headlights, two 100w KC's on the bumper, and 4 of the big Hella 150w I think up on the top. I have allways found that I would have to shut down everything except the stock low beam headlights on the truck in heavy dust. When it's not to bad or clear then everything on of course. No matter what it is tuff to see in the dust. Just hope if you are coming up on someone that their yellow light is working :)

Curtis

martininsocal

terrie- with experience in lights from other sources in fog with emergency vehicles, roof mounting is not the answer. in dust, i always use my lowest mounted lights(usually a single pencil and 2 fogs). yes, you have to run a little slower to not over drive the lights, but you can see much better. roof mounted lights are great for extending the beam and seeing down into holes, etc...but they create glare in dust and fog and usually cause the equivillent of a white out. i usually have to turn off my red warning lights on the fire engine in the fog because they cause the same effect. martin

If your gonna go, go BIG