News California 200 10th Anniversary Memorial Event

JRod

fast-aid.org
With the 10th Anniversary of this tragic accident just one week away, I wanted to make sure everyone knew about the memorial event happening on August 15th. It will be a time to remember those who were lost and reflect with those who were impacted and injured in this accident.

We will travel from Slash X to the accident site in the morning and return to the site of the memorial at Slash X in the afternoon. There will be a brief memorial at the CA200 Memorial Site as well as food & reception in the outdoor area of the Cafe assuming food service is allowed.

I realize this overlaps with V2R which will preclude a bunch of people going, but we wanted to do it as close to the anniversary date as we could and this is the date we were able to get permitted from BLM. Our permission includes requirements for orderly and safe land usage as well as appropriate safety precautions in light of Covid-19.

Here is our itinerary so you can join us for all or part of the day:

- 9am Leave Slash X to CA200 Accident Site
- 1030-1100am Arrive at California 200 Accident Site
- 1200pm Leave CA200 Accident Site to Slash X
- 130-2pm Arrive at Slash X
- 2-230pm Memorial at Slash X CA200 Memorial Site
- 230pm Food and Reception at Slash X Outdoor area and Patio
- 5pm End of Event

1596837967431.png

JRod

fast-aid.org
Last edited:

MTPyle

Was not around in 2010. Is there a link or way to learn about what happened at this event 10 years ago?

Mike

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
It is still difficult to think of the accident and can only imagine the impact on the families involved. Thank you to all those making this happen. Not only to remember those that were killed and injured but an active reminder to help us keep it from happening again.

Dave

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Was not around in 2010. Is there a link or way to learn about what happened at this event 10 years ago?

Mike
I will try to keep this objective and brief.

MDR Twilight Race in Lucerne

Truck loses control over jump with spectators lining the course.

8 people lost their lives. Several more hurt.

Subjectively...I was there, it was horrific. The only positive I can take from it is that it shapes every single decision I make about course and operational safety.

JRod

fast-aid.org

Mike
You can google the California 200 accident. Here is the landing page on our website with the fundraising video Jesse James did for us at the time. He mentions a dozen injuries, but as we found out, there were actually quite a few more injured.

JRod

fast-aid.org

Subjectively...I was there, it was horrific. The only positive I can take from it is that it shapes every single decision I make about course and operational safety.
There definitely were a ton of safety improvements and awareness that came of this and many lifelong friendships and connections made in the aftermath of the tragedy. In some ways it's hard to believe it's already been 10 years but in other ways it seems like a lifetime ago.

dan200

#BSF200

Mike
It was awful. Vehicle barely off the start had a front end part fail when it landed a jump at a popular spectator spot and rolled into a big crowd that was boxed in and way too close to the course. 8 people died. 12 others injured. This was big national news. It sucked.

That day took some cool people from us and changed the sport forever. The only good thing that happened is it brought our community together the way most tragedies do and the lax safety precaution that were in place back then are mostly gone.

google "California 200 crash" you will find plenty of news about it.

MTPyle

Spent some time on google and yeah that’s bad.

I was so blown away racing in Baja with how close the spectators are to the course. Glad that’s not a thing here in the states anymore.

Tragic but it seems like the off-road racing industry learned from it.

Mike

jon coleman

i it changed my views, big time , prayed that night, i was gonna try and race that one, night race was my favorite, dont know but always had bad feeling after the start droping down those stair case rock ledges with so many spectators, Always backed Way off there, gladd to see an organized , permmited memorial, get some news outlets involved and show how responsible& caring of the desert we offroaders can be.be safe rDc, ps just to say Yes, get a basic red cross first aid course , JP is quite right!!, middle of the desert is not down the road from Scripps, That and good Samaritans that had basic first aid training saved my life when i got ran over, dr.N. said 20- 30 more minutes and i woulda got the final checkerd flagg .jc

Last edited:

J Prich

That's the silver lining in a terrible situation. If the lessons learned from that night can help ensure things like that don't happen again, it's the best we can do to honor the memory of those who suffered that night and beyond.

I think about some of lessons often too. The importance of both having even just basic medical/trauma equipment on hand and even rudimentary life saving skills are such an asset. You never know when a tragedy like that is going to happen and having those skills available may well help save a life.

JRod

fast-aid.org
@JRod I just learned about this event recently and not sure if I can make it out there yet. Regardless I want to send you donations from DP and RDC for the raffle. I'll text you to get your address. And I am adding the event to the RDC calendar right now.
Thank you Curtis! We had to wait for BLM approval before we made it public which took a little extra time and a small miracle in light of all the COVID stuff going on.

I'll text my address to you.

Zac Reish

I was in the start line 2 cars from leaving when they stopped letting cars go. My wife was in the crowd. I left the start line to go find her and luckily she was unharmed. It looked like a battle field. Such a sad day I will never forget.

Honda48X

I was there and worked the scene with so many others. We actually airlifted 26 people to hospitals and lost 8 very young lives. I think the oldest was around 32. I ended up on Dr. Phil as he covered Travis and his family. Look up “Shattered in an instant”. It’s in my mind forever.

Total Loss

I was there and still kick myself for not being the adult in the room and calling MDR to hold up the race start pending some crowd control due to the "Rave party" conditions at the rock pile. Everyone that has raced or run that section knows of the off camber rock ledge kicker that can launch you right there...

That was one of my favorite races of the year...so sad. Raced it...worked it and spectated it it for years.