Reaction
LS swap

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Since its speed density, choose wisely.

S00TLYFE

Reaction
Are you opposed to ditching speed density and going with an aftermarket tbi style efi?

I only ask because it opens your options up a lot more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Tobin

Reaction
What’s the best cam for a 86 302 Ford Bronco
Been said already, but unless you are dead set on keeping a Ford in the Ford, swap in an LS-based engine. Much better parts support and more power more reliably!

S00TLYFE

Reaction
Been said already, but unless you are dead set on keeping a Ford in the Ford, swap in an LS-based engine. Much better parts support and more power more reliably!
Not that simple if he wants to stay 4x4, has to figure out how to use a GM case or drop bucks on an atlas.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Not that simple if he wants to stay 4x4, has to figure out how to use a GM case or drop bucks on an atlas.

Is there not transmission adapters available to mate the LS-based engine to a Ford trans? I know most desert guys seem to prefer the TH400 anyhow, but I would have expected that someone builds a Ford trans to Chevy engine adapter...

S00TLYFE

Reaction
Is there not transmission adapters available to mate the LS-based engine to a Ford trans? I know most desert guys seem to prefer the TH400 anyhow, but I would have expected that someone builds a Ford trans to Chevy engine adapter...
You’d think there would be. Word on the street is Culhanne is considering adapters that allow you to run a 4L80E with the ford Case. That makes things a lot easier, just find your crossmember location drill new holes and address driveshaft lengths.

S00TLYFE

Reaction
Anyways,

to answer your orignal question, i would look at removing factory EFI, in favor of Holley Sniper or FItech, then you can run whatever you want with cam heads and intake. I've crunched the numbers for my current F-150 and my old bronco (which was speed density) and for what it costs to get power out of those motors, you're better off going that route if you can.

the edelbrock intake and BBK TBI for the efi motors is like $1000 because theyre the only ones making it, you could buy a set of edelbrock heads for that much, spend another $200 on a carb style 4 barrel manifold, find the recommended cam for that setup, then drop $1200 on fitech or sniper and make way more power.

Speed density is hard to tune and doesnt respond well to performance add ons, mainly because it lacks the adaptive strategy for Air/Fuel ratios like a MAF equipped vehicle can.

If you aren't willing to do any of this, I would contact Steve at powertrain dynamics in HB and see what he recommends for speed density motors.

jeff

Reaction
This part of my reply in no way helps answer your original question... but there are quite a few "built" Bronco's where all of the big money has already been spent that are selling for nickles on the dollar. You started another post where you want to convert to Wilwood brakes... and this post is about what cam to run. By the time you gather all the CORRECT parts you'll either be broke or tired of the project and will probably move on having wasted hard earned money in the process. This is the time of year to buy someone elses toy on the cheap and save a ton of money (and time) in the grand scheme of things.

This part won't help either but it might prevent you from making similar mistakes that I did... I spent well over a decade building up a FORD prerunner and along the way technology and parts availability changed. I have more money into my FORD Windsor motor and C6 transmission than I care to admit. I've gone through 3 major revisions of the Holley EFI system. If I was building the same truck today there's no doubt in my mind that I would find a good LS based motor for it and run a GM overdrive transmission and suitable transfer case. If my 408w ever goes boom (and eventually it will) I have promised myself I won't waste another dollar keeping my toy FORD powered. Learn from the mistakes of others and don't be overly stubborn about this. Yeah, you have a running FORD right now. So what. Yank it out and spend that money on making an LS work and you'll have more power for less money than any other reasonable option available to you. It's a proven setup and it's cheaper than you think.

Aloha

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Speed density is hard to tune and doesnt respond well to performance add ons, mainly because it lacks the adaptive strategy for Air/Fuel ratios like a MAF equipped vehicle can.
Almost all the LS swaps I have seen for pre-runners do not run a MAF. They are speed density and run just fine.

S00TLYFE

Reaction
Almost all the LS swaps I have seen for pre-runners do not run a MAF. They are speed density and run just fine.
im strictly referring to the OEM speed density that comes stock on these trucks. I know a lot of people including Philo have had good luck with speed density setups on LS powerplants. If i was going to keep a small block ford I would swtich to MAF or a throttle body style aftermarket EFI like FItech