Cam Lock 5 Point vs Traditional Harness

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
What are the downsides to the cam lock system?

Does the system collect dust, grime and grit eventually feeling crunchy and bound up?

JerryB

RDC Crypto
I switched to the camlock system (Crow) a little over a year ago, have zero complaints. Was initially a little awkward to get buckled in when you're in a hurry, like after changing a flat, but now that I'm used to them I think I'm actually a little faster now at getting buckled up.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
To me it seems like the system is much quicker and intuitive. I can do the traditional upside down and blindfolded by now but its still clunky.

JerryB

RDC Crypto
As far as maintenance goes, unless you get submerged or covered in mud, just a few seconds of blowing out the dust has kept them in good working order. But I would think (haven't had the experience yet) even if you did have one of those scenarios, you could simply drop the camlock portion into a bucket of soapy water and clean them right out if needed.

SMS81

RDC Crypto
Talk to Jeff at UPR, he can tell you all the info you need to know! Just got some cam locks from him myself!

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
Whole thread on this here on rdc somewhere, i Love my camlock road racing, but regular latch was just easier to buy& set up& get the re- web when required, Autopower, always took good care of me👍

rusco

RDC Crypto
We sell a ton of Schroth, Sabelt, OMP and Lifeline belts at Wine Country Motorsports. FIA are good for 5 years. Enduro belts are best. PM me for quotes.

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
What are the downsides to the cam lock system?

Does the system collect dust, grime and grit eventually feeling crunchy and bound up?

Can you explain exactly what you don't like about the belts we have now. Seems like the work pretty great other than the lap belts taking a little extra finesse to get loose once tight.

Asking for a friend.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
RDC Crypto
I absolutely love our Impact cam locks. We have the quick release sliders as well. tighten up easy, loosen easily when wanted.

I blow the camlock out every race and check to see that everything moves freely.

HartLessPerf

RDC Crypto
We get a lot of mud up here, and if you're not on top of keeping them clean then they build up a lot of friction and start to release poorly. I am interested in seeing what new camlocks from a good brand like Impact would be, as the ones I experienced were from lower quality brands and hadn't seen much or any maintanence.

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
Can you explain exactly what you don't like about the belts we have now. Seems like the work pretty great other than the lap belts taking a little extra finesse to get loose once tight.

Asking for a friend.
I can tell you what wrong with my traditional Simpson belts. I bought Simpson for the name hoping to get a better belt both in the adjusting and latch mechanism. For us fluffy people they totally suck. The left shoulder latch/loop/arm needs to go behind the lap belt in order for the belt to latch. This jabs us in the folds leaving bruises after a race. It also makes it impossible to have someone belt in that knows 5-points but doesn't know these dumb ass belts. Plus they don't adjust...at all. We need to feed them thru then pull like hell. Makes for 5+ minute driver changes just dealing with the belts. I can't wait for them to expire so I can get new ones.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
pull Down lapps?, , pull up sub?, only way to go on themi like pull down, with a Lot of extra, after getting them tight, i put execess under my thigh/ leg, it holds them in place from working loose, run the little springy things too, then , pull up on sub adjuster to sinch the lapps on your Pelvis!( never NEVER let lapp slide up above pelvis!then snug shoulders just enough.oh shyt its raining, gotta go..

Last edited:

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
I’ve been using Simpson for along time. Jumped ship when Bill Simpson started Impact, only to go back to Simpson after he sold it. I’ve always like the feel of the Latch FX lap belts, as the adjuster is built into the latch & link buckle hardware. Puts the adjusters at your gut, not your hips or seat slots. For those who have not used them they will feel l like wearing a big cowboy belt buckle the first time.

I have a Speed UTV on order, and I was thinking I’d like to try Cam Locks. Simpson sells them in a Lever release or Rotary release. Not sure of the benefits or negatives of each style in a dirt application? Then I found out that the Speed UTV will be coming standard with Cam Lock belts using a lever release.

So now my plan is to try the factory Speed Cam Locks to see how I like a Cam Lock and if the factory belts are good enough? Or would a Simpson Cam Lock be better? Or do I go back to what I know & like with the LatchFX?

I’d like to learn more about about them and what styles are better for a dirt environment?

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
lever for sure, i had a rotary cam lock set up, after a run on a hot Holtville day, grabbing at the rotary dial in post impound with gloves on all sweaty was a little clumsy&annoying, i can see it bieng a problem in an emergency

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Love our cam locks.

Impact came out with a newer version of the buckles that are way smoother and they put the buckle closer to the cam lock so it’s easier to tighten.

We just ordered the new set from Ryan Arcerio. He is great to work with and fair pricing. We buy all of our Simpson and Impact stuff from Ryan.

Mike

Reece Pettersen

RDC Crypto
I love my impact cam locks. Check out the following write-up.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
found it ,in my 20year box, i believe its Simpson's first camlock, hated it, then i switched to lever, much better,then back to og latch set up for off road;

Attachments

• 20211008_115711.jpg
    20211008_115711.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211008_115552.jpg
    20211008_115552.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Bricoop

RDC Crypto
I switched to the camlock system (Crow) a little over a year ago, have zero complaints. Was initially a little awkward to get buckled in when you're in a hurry, like after changing a flat, but now that I'm used to them I think I'm actually a little faster now at getting buckled up.
I use Crow Kam Lock for road racing. Really liking it. Also has the cheapest re-webbing I've found and all done in the US. If you don't see what you want in their catalogue, tell them what you want and they will make it for no additional charge.